Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi there, question for photographers..

• 01-07-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a question about an old ufo picture that was taken in the 1970's with an olympus 35 ecr rangefinder stuck on infinity. Please ignore the nature of the subject matter in the photo, I just want to know your opinions on one thing.

Which object is in front of which in the photo?
    Also why is this so?
    If you can help I would greatly appreciate it .Thanks.
    Here you go.
    weddingcake_in_front_of_car_szx4.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The toy car is in front of the Forero Roche tray.

Why is in front of it? I dunno, suppose the guy taking the photo thought it'd look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tonybodhran

humberklog wrote: »
    The toy car is in front of the Forero Roche tray.

Why is in front of it? I dunno, suppose the guy taking the photo thought it'd look better.

No I mean why is the car in front of the other object from a technical photographic perspective? I'm looking for someone to explain exactly why that car has to be in front of or behind the other object in this particular photo.
    Thanks.

But the car is in front, it's blocking the view of the bottom part of the spaceship.

It's not really technical analysis as such. If you put something in front of another then you can't see the object behind (or part of).

But the car is in front, it's blocking the view of the bottom part of the spaceship.

It's not really technical analysis as such. If you put something in front of another then you can't see the object behind (or part of).

That's what I thought , I thought it was pretty obvious myself but on websites that discuss ufo's people argue black and blue that the "spaceship" is in front of the car in this photo.

It's not a model car by the way, it was owned by someone who was staying with the man who took the picture and was parked beside his house.

Well basic physics top trump photographic gimmickry here. The real broom-broom is blocking the view of the P-Diddy Motha'ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

Looks to me like the space-ship has just landed on top of the Cadillac in Western Arizona

I think there is a technical error to the story though.

The Trip35 will focus between .600mm out to 3m. After that it's on to infinity and beyond (ahem). Which would mean the car is less than 3m away.

I know this camera well and by the blur of the car I'd say the photographer was about 2m away. He would have only got about one third the image of the car in the shot. Maybe less.

I think there is a technical error to the story though.

The Trip35 will focus between .600mm out to 3m. After that it's on to infinity and beyond (ahem). Which would mean the car is less than 3m away.

I know this camera well and by the blur of the car I'd say the photographer was about 2m away. He would have only got about one third the image of the car in the shot. Maybe less.

It wasn't an olympus trip it was an ECR rangefinder, if that makes any difference but I will check about the details again. Thanks.

5m range on the ecr.

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

wtf is going on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Tallon wrote: »
    wtf is going on here?

it's a bin lid with a load of crap hot glued to it... and a toy car. and there's a 5 pager in the mysteries of the unexplained forum that'd make yer head melt but it's worth the goo for the photos of the 'aliens' with 70s hairdo's and ray guns :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

artyeva wrote: »
    it's a bin lid with a load of crap hot glued to it... and a toy car. and there's a 5 pager in the mysteries of the unexplained forum that'd make yer head melt but it's worth the goo for the photos of the 'aliens' with 70s hairdo's and ray guns :pac::pac::pac:

holy moly. I just skimmed that. Sometimes I despair for humanity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Yis are all wrong ...it's a piss poor photo of one of the hats at Royal Ascot
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/royal-ascot-2012-outrageous-hats-gallery-1.1099209 :D;):rolleyes:

A Ferrari Rocher :pac::pac::pac:

artyeva wrote: »
    wtf is going on here?

That would be great explanation except its not a toy car,its in a car park and it belongs to a man who was staying with the person who took the photograph. There are other photos of the car park and other cars as well.This is why most people try to argue that the crazy looking ufo is in front of the car and why I was asking photographers what they thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That would be great explanation except its not a toy car. It belongs to a man who was staying with the person who took the photograph.

How do you know it's not a toy car? Because the man who took the photo said so?

Everything about the photo as it stands has the appearance of being a (relatively) close up shot of (relatively) small objects.

That the yoke is behind the car, however, is fairly certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

That would be great explanation except its not a toy car. It belongs to a man who was staying with the person who took the photograph. This is why most people try to argue that the crazy looking ufo is in front of the car and why I was asking photographers what they thought.

oh my goodness, how i've been mistaken.

suuuuuuuuure it is.

a real car. and a UFO.

not a bin lid and a toy cat AT ALL. nu-uh. no sireeee bob.

*backs away slowly*

:rolleyes:

phutyle wrote: »
    That would be great explanation except its not a toy car. It belongs to a man who was staying with the person who took the photograph.

Everything about the photo as it stands has the appearance of being a (relatively) close up shot of (relatively) small objects.

See my answer above. I was certain of that myself but others who claim to know things about photography swear blind that its in front of the car.

See my answer above. I was certain of that myself but others who claim to know things about photography swear blind that its in front of the car.

Sorry, i edited my answer but it didnt save, there are other photos of the car park it is sitting in along with other cars.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i edited my answer but it didnt save, there are other photos of the car park it is sitting in along with other cars.
    If there are any photographers who have experience of photographing small models I would appreciate straight answers to a few questions about some other photographs without being condescending..

If there are any photographers who have experience of photographing small models I would appreciate straight answers to a few questions about some other photographs without being condescending..

But you can clearly see the car is in front of the mish-mash of objects behind it. It's so close to the camera that it's entirely out of focus.

Despite that, I love this thread and I love Humberklog's first no-nonsense response that outright states it's a toy car and a Ferrero Rocher tray before the OP even gets a word in about it being a real car.

KKV wrote: »

But you can clearly see the car is in front of the mish-mash of objects behind it. It's so close to the camera that it's entirely out of focus.

Despite that, I love this thread and I love Humberklog's first no-nonsense response that outright states it's a toy car and a Ferrero Rocher tray before the OP even gets a word in about it being a real car.
    Hi I understand that, but there is evidence that the car is real, so im trying to figure out what exactly is going on or if it is even possible for this picture to have been taken in the way its said it was. I got my cameras wrong in the original post, this particular photo was taken with a n early 1980's Ricoh Singlex TLS camera, focal length 55mm, is there any setting that you could use that would make a full size car out of focus if you were focusing at something behind it like that? Thanks.

I literally still don't know what the heck is going on

I literally still don't know what the heck is going on
    Its very simple, in my original post there is a picture taken in 1980 with a Ricoh singlex 55mm focal lenght. This is claimed to taken in a car park in with a full sized car out of focus in the foreground with a supposedly large odd looking ufo in focus hovering in the background. Is there any way this could actually be the case with this camera? If not why not? If so what would the circumstances be, settings distance etc. please treat this as just a question about size distance and focusing and ignore the fact that its a really dumb looking ufo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I haven't seen these photos, so maybe they're undeniable proof, but I'm having a hard time imagining how the car as depicted in the photo quoted above could possibly be positive identified with any other photo of a car in a carpark. It's so out of focus that, apart from the rough shape, there's no identifying features at all that could be used to say "Look at this photo. See, it's the very same car!".

But I digress. It seems that this photo is a ripe topic for discussion amongst it's target audience, so I'm sure this ground has been well and truly covered before, and you've taken your considered opinion on the matter, which I have no inclination to question.

I can't be of any help regarding your technical question about the camera in question, but hopefully someone else can.

I haven't seen these photos, so maybe they're undeniable proof, but I'm having a hard time imagining how the car as depicted in the photo quoted above could possibly be positive identified with any other photo of a car in a carpark. It's so out of focus that, apart from the rough shape, there's no identifying features at all that could be used to say "Look at this photo. See, it's the very same car!".

But I digress. It seems that this photo is a ripe topic for discussion amongst it's target audience, so I'm sure this ground has been well and truly covered before, and you've taken your considered opinion on the matter, which I have no inclination to question.

I can't be of any help regarding your technical question about the camera in question, but hopefully someone else can.
    Hi the object in question is photographed in the vicinity of other cars in the car park also, the cars were confirmed to have been there, im just using this picture because the object is behind the car in this one, either the person set up a scale model of the car park including lampposts and recreations of the cars in the car park or he faked it some other way using trick photography or it's real, I'd be happy to find out any answer that's correct.

Its very simple, in my original post there is a picture taken in 1980 with a Ricoh singlex 55mm focal lenght. This is claimed to taken in a car park in with a full sized car out of focus in the foreground with a supposedly large odd looking ufo in focus hovering in the background. Is there any way this could actually be the case with this camera? If not why not? If so what would the circumstances be, settings distance etc. please treat this as just a question about size distance and focusing and ignore the fact that its a really dumb looking ufo...

No, I mean I cannot figure out if you're trolling or crazy!

It's a toy car with gold painted grapes

No, I mean I cannot figure out if you're trolling or crazy!

It's a toy car with gold painted grapes
    Ok.. Moving on if anyone has anything helpful to say appreciate it, I've already said there are other pictures of the car along with other cars in different photographs with the same object, some of the cars are in focus some aren't, the cars were confirmed to have been in the carpark, the reason I chose this picture if because the object appears to be behind the car, which it isn't in others. I'm only asking for.an explanation if this shot is possible using this camera. As this is supposed to be a photographic forum I'd appreciate comments based on the questions I'm asking. Please keep non technical comments to yourself. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Ok.. Moving on if anyone has anything helpful to say appreciate it, I've already said there are other pictures of the car along with other cars in different photographs with the same object, some of the cars are in focus some aren't, the cars were confirmed to have been in the carpark, the reason I chose this picture if because the object appears to be behind the car, which it isn't in others. I'm only asking for.an explanation if this shot is possible using this camera. As this is supposed to be a photographic forum I'd appreciate comments based on the questions I'm asking. Please keep non technical comments to yourself. Thanks.

yes, yes it is. It's a picture of a model car with some assemblage of pie plates and ball bearings spray painted gold behind it. Car is so OOF because it's within inches of the camera, and the yokeimibob is a foot or so behind it and so in focus. For any other explanations conspiracy theory forum is that way ->

yes, yes it is. It's a picture of a model car with some assemblage of pie plates and ball bearings spray painted gold behind it. Car is so OOF because it's within inches of the camera, and the yokeimibob is a foot or so behind it and so in focus. For any other explanations conspiracy theory forum is that way ->
    So it's impossible to have a full size car out of focus like that by photographing it with a Ricoh Singlex TLS if you are focused on something at distance behind it? Can anyone give me a straight answer about the camera used? Jesus I'm only asking a simple question about cameras on a camera forum I'm not asking whether you believe in ufos.. An answer from someone who knows the camera might be useful. Does anyone who actually knows anything about a Ricoh actually have a comment? If not im very sorry to have disturbed you.

What colour was the camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm not half as knowledgeable as the others so take my contribution with a great dose of caution, but everything seems wrong to me. The out of focus entire car, the brightly lit car and spaceship and pitch black background (like short flash, powerful enough to light a humongous spaceship some distance away but no other background ???? :confused::confused::confused: and if not, what kind of lighting is there in that carpark to light something like that ???), and the hot pixels for a 70s camera (little red & blue dots), they could be there from scanning/printing I guess, not sure if that would make any sense.

Maybe I'm just talking absolute rubbish here, as I said.

How someone could argue the car is behind the spaceship is puzzling.

I'm not half as knowledgeable as the others so take my contribution with a great dose of caution, but everything seems wrong to me. The out of focus entire car, the brightly lit car and spaceship and pitch black background (like short flash, powerful enough to light a humongous spaceship some distance away but no other background ???? :confused::confused::confused: and if not, what kind of lighting is there in that carpark to light something like that ???), and the hot pixels for a 70s camera (little red & blue dots), they could be there from scanning/printing I guess, not sure if that would make any sense.

Maybe I'm just talking absolute rubbish here, as I said.

How someone could argue the car is behind the spaceship is puzzling.
    It is a very strange picture yes, the reason people on other websites argue that it's behind the object is because the car itself is real and that can be proven, people really hate this photograph, I dont blame them it's got all sorts of things that are weird. But I have no interest in asking about the other photographs as this is the only one with the object behind the car. All the pictures show the object in the same glowing colors no matter what distance it seems to be at from the camera, so the light is not coming from the camera flash or the street lights which can be seen in the other photographs. If it's real the light is somehow coming from the thing itself.
    Again all I want to know is it possible to take a picture with a full size car out of focus and a distant large object in focus like that with this particular camera, if not then there is some other kind of camera trickery involved.
    All the pics are 35mm film, this has probably been scanned more than once, so the pixels are most likely from that.
    And PS thanks for responding like an adult.

the car itself is real and that can be proven

Prove it!

• Advertisement

the car itself is real and that can be proven

Prove it!
    what has that got to do with the one question I've been trying to get answered? It makes absolutely no difference whether it is or not. Im asking a theoretical question.
    Are there any other adults on the forum?

what has that got to do with the one question I've been trying to get answered? It makes absolutely no difference whether it is or not. Im asking a theoretical question.
    You've mentioned it at least 3 times on this thread, you brought it up, not me!

All I ask is that you make good on your word and prove it's real

I'm an adult by the way, you can even ask my Mam. She doesn't even mind me being up this late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No, there is no way for a full sized car to be more than completely in frame with a 55mm lens on that 35mm camera and also be so defocused as the one in that picture is. The car in that image has to be a small model within inches of the lens to create that effect. No to mention that the lighting makes no sense for any scenario apart from both objects being small.

Does that answer your question?

You've mentioned it at least 3 times on this thread, you brought it up, not me!

All I ask is that you make good on your word and prove it's real

I'm an adult by the way, you can even ask my Mam. She doesn't even mind me being up this late!
    Ive asked the same question about the Ricoh camera about 10 times, thats all i want to know, i have no interest in discussing the entire case,if i cant get a camera question answered on a camera forum ill go elsewhere, why are you even commenting if you don't know anything about the camera?

No, there is no way for a full sized car to be more than completely in frame with a 55mm lens on that 35mm camera and also be so defocused as the one in that picture is. The car in that image has to be a small model within inches of the lens to create that effect. No to mention that the lighting makes no sense for any scenario apart from both objects being small.

Does that answer your question?
    Finally..thanks. Thats all I wanted to know.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement

why are you even commenting if you don't know anything about the camera?

Because I know quite a lot about model cars and ferrero rocher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The guy had 50 strobes setup all around the carpark to light the ufo. my uncle michael collins was there and santa replied to my text and said it was true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

This may just be the best topic Ive read on boards in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Photo-challange to re-create the image perhaps? :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »

Fire away, I'd love to see experienced photographers who know what they are talking about cast a critical eye on some of the other ones, there are about 800 surviving photographs, there were over 1200 originally supposedly of various types of craft and supposedly of various sizes from 5ft to 21 ft.

They were all taken between 1975 and 1982 the early ones were taken on an Olympus ECR Rangefinder 35mm, the later on the Ricoh Singlex TLS 35mm

Here are a few of the best ones from the 800 surviving photographs:

F0012.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/0/0a/F0015.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/0/06/Foto65.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/d/d1/76crop.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/4/40/Hasen163a.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/f/f3/F_0174_rgb.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/thumb/6/68/Figu-wallpaper_f850_1920x1080.jpg/800px-Figu-wallpaper_f850_1920x1080.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/1/18/F_179.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/thumb/3/38/147_1st_set.jpeg/350px-147_1st_set.jpeg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/thumb/2/27/147_2nd_set.jpeg/350px-147_2nd_set.jpeg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/0/08/Billy_Meier_494.jpg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/2/29/1st_set_of_3.jpeg
    http://www.futureofmankind.co.uk/w/images/7/7f/2nd_set_of_3.jpeg

if anyone does want to comment could you at least stick to talking about the technical details behind what you think about the pictures and leave the sarcasm behind. Thanks.

Why is this thread still ongoing? Is it a wind up

You can clearly see it's a toy car, taken at an angle and light setup to look like a magical flying space machine...

You even linked to what looks like setup shots... I find it a bit strange (Well not really strange, more obvious) that the car is never in focus... maybe because it's a toy?!!!

350px-147_1st_set.jpeg

This is a picture of a truck, with some idiot holding a plate of sambos above the camera

1st_set_of_3.jpeg

Here, the photographer tries to alter the size by making it appear the last picture is of trees in the foreground, when it's clearly a few weeds, and he's taken this from the ground

2nd_set_of_3.jpeg

Go away with your nonsense, then calling everyone childish when they don't agree with your magic men from mars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

OldGoat wrote: »

Challenge Accepted!

105AD724125842BAA040BFE48C5F2246-0000341111-0002917315-00800L-52EAE2C9731641C8A3E1B71A6BEA27EC.jpg

This time with actual Alien contact.

Goolay wrote: »
    Challenge Accepted!

This time with actual Alien contact!

Wait ! That car is clearly BEHIND the alien !

Why is this thread still ongoing? Is it a wind up

You can clearly see it's a toy car, taken at an angle and light setup to look like a magical flying space machine...

You even linked to what looks like setup shots... I find it a bit strange (Well not really strange, more obvious) that the car is never in focus... maybe because it's a toy?!!!

Go away with your nonsense, then calling everyone childish when they don't agree with your magic men from mars

yeah they're laughably badly done, maybe just the sheer volume of them has bludgeoned the the more ... eh ... feeble minded ... into submission. There's a worrying amount of them with the saucers bunged into trees as well. What's that all about ? It's like an illustrated drivers manual for UFO pilots, with hilarious 50's style voiceover:

"What's Graak doing wrong, folks ? What's that ? A tree ! That's right ! Watch out for that tree, Graak !! Oh No ! Looks like Graak has come a cropper again ! Silly Graak !"

cue Graak (looking like a still from some dean martin show shot during the 70s) smirking embarrassingly.

Any insinuation that you were childish is based on the fact that you dont appear to be able to read and answer a simple question with civility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement