Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any plans to do anything about Drogheda's decline?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

I am not from Ireland, so I have absolutely no prejudice in this opinion, its actually just an observation Ive made over the last few months.

Having spent a lot of time working in all the towns in Louth, Cavan, Monaghan and North County Dublin, I have become depressed every time I have to enter into Drogheda. I am in there everyday as I live in Callystown out near Clogherhead.

Virtually the entire centre of Drogheda is revolting. Its so run down that it gives the distinct impression that the local authority have given up even trying to maintain it. Crumbling buildings which look very dangerous, For Rent signs everywhere and boarded up business premises give an awful impression. I was at the traffic lights on George's Street the other day and I looked down at West Street and the buildings there. If I hadn't been driving I would have taken a photo to post up here and back-up my impressions of this dilapidated town. I wonder where it has all went wrong?

Earlier in the week I was waiting for a friend to come out of the main Post Office and I was people watching. The vast majority of people looked so down and sad. I didnt see a single person pass in 10 minutes who was wearing a suit. This was at lunchtime!

I would say without a doubt, its the worst kept main town Ive ever seen in my entire life. In contrast, this past week Ive been working up in the town of Monaghan. This was so different. The streets were exceptionally tidy and there were lovely floral displays everywhere. Almost every building was in good order, and despite the recession, there were not too many closed shops. The ones that were for rent, were fresh and not looking like they might collapse at any moment.

I also noticed there were plenty of benches to sit on, and workmen were painting all the bollards a fresh coat of black. There was also a lovely park with a water fountain and loads of ducks swimming about being fed by families.

I guess some might reply "well move to Monaghan then!", but thats not my point. I could move anywhere if I wanted to, my job allows that. My point is what on earth happened to Drogheda in the first place?

When I look at the town and its rich history, several buildings of historical importance and with the Boyne running through the heart, I cant understand why its not a beautiful and well cared for town too. That river could really be exploited instead of the way it is now, just causing a nuisance to traffic trying to get from one side to the other.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Wireless net

I am not from Ireland, so I have absolutely no prejudice in this opinion, its actually just an observation Ive made over the last few months.

Having spent a lot of time working in all the towns in Louth, Cavan, Monaghan and North County Dublin, I have become depressed every time I have to enter into Drogheda. I am in there everyday as I live in Callystown out near Clogherhead.

Virtually the entire centre of Drogheda is revolting. Its so run down that it gives the distinct impression that the local authority have given up even trying to maintain it. Crumbling buildings which look very dangerous, For Rent signs everywhere and boarded up business premises give an awful impression. I was at the traffic lights on George's Street the other day and I looked down at West Street and the buildings there. If I hadn't been driving I would have taken a photo to post up here and back-up my impressions of this dilapidated town. I wonder where it has all went wrong?

Earlier in the week I was waiting for a friend to come out of the main Post Office and I was people watching. The vast majority of people looked so down and sad. I didnt see a single person pass in 10 minutes who was wearing a suit. This was at lunchtime!

I would say without a doubt, its the worst kept main town Ive ever seen in my entire life. In contrast, this past week Ive been working up in the town of Monaghan. This was so different. The streets were exceptionally tidy and there were lovely floral displays everywhere. Almost every building was in good order, and despite the recession, there were not too many closed shops. The ones that were for rent, were fresh and not looking like they might collapse at any moment.

I also noticed there were plenty of benches to sit on, and workmen were painting all the bollards a fresh coat of black. There was also a lovely park with a water fountain and loads of ducks swimming about being fed by families.

I guess some might reply "well move to Monaghan then!", but thats not my point. I could move anywhere if I wanted to, my job allows that. My point is what on earth happened to Drogheda in the first place?

When I look at the town and its rich history, several buildings of historical importance and with the Boyne running through the heart, I cant understand why its not a beautiful and well cared for town too. That river could really be exploited instead of the way it is now, just causing a nuisance to traffic trying to get from one side to the other.

do tell us so what part of the world you are from? your opinion appears a bit blinkered to be honest, and what is this about wearing suits? many business people don't bother with formal business attire nowadays, sure look at MOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Should have seen it 15/20 years ago if you think its bad now.

As for your suit wearing comment, who cares? What a stupid thing to give out about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Should have seen it 15/20 years ago if you think its bad now.

As for your suit wearing comment, who cares? What a stupid thing to give out about.

It's not a stupid thing to notice. In the centre of a town the size of Drogheda during lunchtime, there ought to have been streams of people wearing suits. It wasn't the fact they were not wearing suits, more the fact that it gave the impression that very little business of any importance was going on. Maybe I shouldn't explained that more clearly, I just thought it was obvious what I meant.

What was it like in the town centre 15-20 years ago? Apart from a couple of more modern shopping centres, I cant see what has been done. Actually, come to think of it, perhaps the shopping centres have contributed to the downfall. If some of the more successful shops were still in the high street, then it might have more life. Having said that, I was in Scotch Hall 2 weeks ago and I remember thinking "this is quite a nice shopping centre for Drogheda!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

There's still a strong sense of community spirit and friendliness in your average droghedean that you don't really see anywhere else.

The Local Heroes initiative and fiver Friday prove this.

Have a look at millmount and the regeneration work along the ramparts, for improvements in the last 15 years.

And that you"dilapidated" building on west st was a pub which burned down only very recently, and had to be knocked. But even the boarding around it has been painted in a tasteful mural of the 'city on the boyne'

Op you say you are not from Ireland
    What part of the world are you from?

• Advertisement

there ought to have been streams of people wearing suits. It wasn't the fact they were not wearing suits, more the fact that it gave the impression that very little business of any importance was going on.

, "business of any importance" do you not realise that a lot of local business people, go about their day, not dressed in suits? you don't have to wear a suit, for your business to be important to the local economy.

OP you never answered my last question, what part of the world are you from?

you obviously have little business experience with a post like that

, "business of any importance" do you not realise that a lot of local business people, go about their day, not dressed in suits? you don't have to wear a suit, for your business to be important to the local economy.

OP you never answered my last question, what part of the world are you from?

Sorry, I missed your first post. Where I'm from has nothing to do with my observations about Drogheda. Its more likely that you intend to use the information in some form of comparison which has nothing at all to do with my point. FYI Im from Scotland.

Perhaps I shouldve posted a disclaimer that I had no intention to offend anyone in my initial post, to save having to ward of the probable defences of locals from Drogheda who may be slightly biased in their views. Its great that people do feel passionate about their local area though, thats exactly the kind of spirit that is needed if there is any hope of turning things around.

Stating I have very little business experience because I observed that few people are wearing suits, is quite ridiculous. So ridiculous that I almost cant be bothered to reply as it seems more like trolling than a reply to my initial post. This is not about me trying to put Drogheda down, I honestly dont understand why it is in such a terrible state of repair in comparison to towns like Monaghan.

This is not just my opinion, I work with about 90% Irish people and they all think the same.

Someone mentioned a pub that was burned down in West Street. I wasnt talking about that building. I was talking about the buildings as soon as you enter West Street from Georges Street. On the right hand side there are some "Youth Development" type offices. That whole section looks like it needs a bulldozer. There is such a mish-mash of structures in shocking states of repair throughout the town centre. Then there are the horrific apartments that face directly into the grey wall of the back of the docks on North Strand. They look like apartments you would find in some of the most rundown areas of the former USSR countries.

The potential for the area around the river to be vibrant and cosmopolitan seems to have been lost. I did note that there were some nice floral boxes on the fences around the bridge, unfortunately they were facing away towards the river rather than at the pedestrians and passing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Jeez some people are a bit touchy about what seems to me to be a reasonable assessment of a town centre during a recession. I shall lessen the sting for the Drogs so - OP I agree with what you are saying but Dundalk is worse than Drogheda for having vacant buildings that are disgracefully maintained. For the sake of painting, removing weeds growing out of the facade, and having a front window obsecured so that you aren't looking in to a gutted premises. It would make a huge difference to a general appearance of an area. If it werent for the refurbishment of the Square in Dundalk it really could have doubled for an eastern European concrete jungle. Monaghan is a small town half, if even, the size of Louth's 2 large towns so on pure scale it would be easier to maintain with the limited resources available.

Wasnt West St redone recently though? Id love to take a wrecking ball to some of Drogheda too:D

Stating I have very little business experience because I observed that few people are wearing suits, is quite ridiculous.

Don't you think it's quite ridiculous to state that no business
    Of importance is going on just because you don't
    See people wearing suits?

I agree with some points about empty buildings but
    In the current climate every town has some of them

Don't you think it's quite ridiculous to state that no business
    Of importance is going on just because you don't
    See people wearing suits?

I agree with some points about empty buildings but
    In the current climate every town has some of them

To be fair, he addressed both of those points, very fairly. He said it gives the impression that no business of worth goes on, which is a pretty fair assessment to me.

If you go somewhere and the lunch time rush has a majority of the population coming in and out of office blocks in suits, you're likely to instinctively think that there's work of some importance going on in that area. Drogheda doesn't have this (not that I think it needs it, but I still agree with the viewpoint).

Also, he said that empty shops are everywhere, but the ones in Drogheda look like they're in worse condition than most. I won't lie, I haven't travelled Ireland looking at empty shops, but I do think the ones in Drogheda town are in dire condition. Tacky posters and leaflets being sellotaped to their windows doesn't help (perhaps a centralised noticeboard would be a clever idea, that's free to use, but covered in plastic (so it can't get wet?).

Either way, I'd agree Drogheda's not exactly looking like a town that's ever been cared for. It has it's good points, but it's negative aspects clearly outweigh them.

• Advertisement

Either way, I'd agree Drogheda's not exactly looking like a town that's ever been cared for. It has it's good points, but it's negative aspects clearly outweigh them.

what negative aspects do you refer to? ( suppose depends what part of Drogheda you are talking about)

if its in relation to empty properties looking run down, as properties are privately owned, or rented / leased / or lying empty, then its up to the owners of those properties to keeping them looking nice , however they are not compelled to do so, also planning regualtions over the last while in this country leave a lot to be desired, also there are a lot of companies with offices in Drogheda, however they are not located on west street, and the fact that you don't spot loads of suits walking around town, does not mean that "business of importance is not being carried on" .. eg coca cola offices are located at southgate shopping complex , etc

at one stage there was supposed to be a multi-storey carpark to be built at narrow west st, ( where the old O Reilly hardware store was ), but that never came to happen, the big retail parks, took the business out of the town center, and forced some shops to close down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: A lack of suits...

If you eat in the places near the banks, you'll tend to see some suits at lunchtime.

I think though that Drogheda has been a commuter town for quite a while now; people who live here who would have those sort of jobs tend to be working and travelling to Dublin. Big businesses that require such high levels of dress tend to not open in a town like Drogheda but in the closer capital area of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

That will teach the OP to stick their head over the parapet - and an outsider to boot! For God's sake don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. Drogheda has been in a run-down state for decades. As far as I'm concerned the only thing in the place worth seeing is the iconic view of the railway viaduct which can best be had from the town.

Why is Drogheda run-down, well you could blame Oliver Cromwell but I'd look closer to home first - what have your useless local authorities/politicians been doing for decades? Having had the misfortune to live in two towns that have been let go to hell by local authorities I can only sympathise with the OP.

PS I don't live in Drogheda and have a suit in my wardrobe but does that invalidate my point of view?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ok I'm going to stick my oar in here at the risk of getting my head wooled.
    I'm not from Drogheda but spent a lot of time there during my teens and I have to say to see the town as it was before West St reopened was heartbreaking; a lot of the shops I loved closed and the malaise spread down Stockwell St and even as far as Laurence St. All the little boutiques and nicky-nacky shops went and the Abbey Centre became a ghost mall. I found it hard to believe the Borough Council could let the rot set in so badly and not set a fire under the a*se of the contractors to get it sorted. It still shocks me that places like the Town Centre are so empty and that the Abbey/Narrow West St are struggling so badly but I suppose the rise of places like Scotch Hall & the Laurence Centre while the street was out of commission meant they had little or no chance.

I will say one thing though - the customer service in Drogheda is streets ahead of Navan; I find staff in Drogheda pleasant and approachable and I make a point of shopping or eating in town at least 3/4 times a month and I refuse to go North at Christmas and keep my buying local. I think if people stopped off in the town centre a bit more and spent time rooting around the places that are trying to make a go of things then maybe it will help the recovery of a great town.

And check out the buildings above the shop fronts on West St - beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Why pick on Drogheda? There's a reason the Irish have taken the English song "Dirty Old Town" to their hearts...

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Why pick on Drogheda?...

Cause the boulders on shoulders make big targets.....

For those with a railway fetish the bridge might be the only attraction (personally it leaves me cold given the tragedy associated with it) but there are numerous other attractions such as the gates and millmount.

Cromwells brutality is part of the problem but it was not only him, the penal laws and the oppression the native Irish suffered over the centuries with business and industry in the town being monopolized by a select few the town has never really had a chance, it has never been community orientated, it was built to serve outside interests. With the decline of industry in the town (both years ago and its being repeated today with coke and IFF shutting up shop) there was and is very little employment in the town. As a border county we have also suffered because of partition... while it may be more acutely felt in the northern part of the county it has effected business in Drogheda too, with many heading up north for shopping and a lack of investment as is typical for a border county we have been neglected.

There has always been a dependence on outsiders who cared only about profits, not about the town.

However I think the town is better now than it was when I was a child both in terms of amenities and aesthetics. Dundalk isn't much (if at all) better.

The people in Drogheda are fantastic (in the main) I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What tragedy is associated with the bridge?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The constant suicide jumpers I'm guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

The place has lost of positives and negatives like any other town or city in Ireland . Its hard to argue with the OP about the buildings in the town center though , the borough council are a pack of self serving dickheads who dont seem to have any interest in sorting out the town . Lots of simple things could be done to improve the look of the place i.e the clean up of shop st ! It looks very nice now compared to a couple of years ago . A lick of paint and some hanging baskets made a hell of a difference . As the largest town in Ireland it really need to step up to the plate and get its act together , some small towns down south or over in the west put us to shame with how well they are maintained ...

• Advertisement

Yes... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yes... :(

People jump off bridges all the time. I wouldn't consider them tragic places. I don't look at that bridge and feel sad. I actually look at it in awe of how impressive it is.

As for the OP. Basically, you're calling Drogheda a run down kip with little business type employment. Maybe I've got your post wrong but in essence, I think that summarises what you're saying here.

I assume you've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen lately?

Perhaps you'd feel different if it was a friend or a family member who jumped.

I think thats what he is saying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

you know I was just walking along the ramparts the other day for the first time in years and was thinking what a great job they'd done with it!

the playground was full & people were using the exercise points throughout the park, nice to see

MugMugs wrote: »
    As for the OP. Basically, you're calling Drogheda a run down kip with little business type employment. Maybe I've got your post wrong but in essence, I think that summarises what you're saying here.

I assume you've been to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen lately?

I think I made it clear earlier in the thread that I wasnt here to have a go comparing Scotland to Drogheda. There are some rough, very rough, areas in each city you mentioned. Any large city will have its good and bad areas, just like Dublin. I wouldnt however be able to compare somewhere as wonderful as Dublin to Drogheda, towns and cities are not comparable.

Tonight I was driving back from a meeting in Dublin airport and as I crossed the bridge towards Georges Street, I looked over the river towards the West and it looked lovely. It was really flat calm and the sun was low in the sky. I was imagining how great it would be if there were some kayaks or something in there. There may well have been, I just couldnt see any as I was in the traffic.

More importantly, Drogheda is a "run down kip" as you call it, my issue was to find out why it is like that, and if there are any plans to do anything about it. To be fair, I wasnt aware of the work that had been done on West Street. Ive only been living in Louth for about 3 months, so had not seen it before.

Im happy people are talking about it though, maybe something might get done.

I often wondered, and Im probably going to get shot down in flames here, if the courts or even the welfare offices in Drogheda, could get people to do some of the tidying up of the town that is needed. There are a lot of long term unemployed in Drogheda who have little hope or perhaps inclination to get a job. After a long time unemployed, often people lose self-esteem and give up even trying to find work. Would it be possible for the welfare offices or some authority, to ask those physically capable of work to participate in work that was needed in the town. Painting, litter collection, small repairs etc?? Not only would it get a lot of this work done which is sorely needed, but it might just remind some welfare claimants that they can do a good job and may inspire them to get out there and actively seek employment. It could also help cultivate a feeling of pride in the town.

I often wondered, and Im probably going to get shot down in flames here, if the courts or even the welfare offices in Drogheda, could get people to do some of the tidying up of the town that is needed. There are a lot of long term unemployed in Drogheda who have little hope or perhaps inclination to get a job. After a long time unemployed, often people lose self-esteem and give up even trying to find work. Would it be possible for the welfare offices or some authority, to ask those physically capable of work to participate in work that was needed in the town. Painting, litter collection, small repairs etc?? Not only would it get a lot of this work done which is sorely needed, but it might just remind some welfare claimants that they can do a good job and may inspire them to get out there and actively seek employment. It could also help cultivate a feeling of pride in the town.

They were called FÁS community employment schemes, they mainly cultivated jobs for the boys within FÁS, junkets abroad, crazy expenses and generally wasted tax payers money....good idea in principle!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

OP - Dublin is wonderful? Are you for real? I spent my life trying to.get out and when I did I did it in style fifty miles away. Dublin is certainly not wonderful.

Drogheda is part of one of the forgotten border counties. It's heavily commuter based and like every other town on this island is suffering from the recession. If you travel as much as you say in Ireland then you'd understand that. You also need to bare in mind its proximity to the capital. This itself can be problematic and can attract anti social behaviour. Look at Ashbourne. I knew Ashbourne as a small local village where you all knew each other. Now I see it as a place I wouldn't park my car in parts.

When there's little local industry, a large commuter base and an atrocious welfare system in operation, there isn't a lot that can be done for small towns like Drogheda. I personally don't live there but the last time I walked through it I was the same as I.usually am. Impressed by its surroundings, integration of ancient buildings, embracing of its history and modern look of its board walk. Of course its open to problems. But you find me a small town that isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

It's funny I was thinking recently how well the place was starting to look, how people were stolling down West Street again and the sense of community thats about the place recently. 12 months ago I may have agreed in part but a lot of people mostly volunteers, are putting a real effort in to get the town going and fair play to them.

I've attended a lot of events over the last few months around the town and they've all been well attended so something right is happening. Sure Drogheda has some problems but no more than any 30,000+ populated town. Sure there are some rundown/unoccupied buildings on the main street. There's a recession on and businesses are still folding by the day. A lot of Landlords are not putting money into sprucing up empty shops and some wouldn't put the money in even if they had tennents.

Anyway to all the people who have done so much for the town I salute you and your work is having a noticeable affect and for that I thank you all.

ding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I think scotch hall should close,its half empty anyway relocate the existing shops into the laurance st shopping centre and or into west st and condense the shopping back into the heart of drogheda.
    turn scotch hall into a university.
    Fully pedestrinise west st. and make a focal point i.e fountain/statue cromwell
    Build a multi story in narrow west st as planned.
    Encourage a bigger food market as is/was on west st thurs/fri.
    Discourage the daily sometimes multiple collectors on west st.
    Canvas the local councillors with a list of things to be done in the town centre i.e flowers ,Painting etc and do a michael o leary and just get it done,no red tape ,excuses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

Have I got the wrong end of the stick or are people really suggesting Drogheda (in 2012) is run down due to Oliver Cromwell?? :eek:
    I think you could mark Drogheda's retail decline from when the road works started on West St 6/7 years ago.
    The access and delays were atrocious and it emptied the centre of town almost immediately, and once the out of town shopping centres opened..that was it for West St.
    I don't think it's ever really recovered from that and once the recession kicked in, that hit the SC's too.
    How many outlets have closed in Scotch Hall/Laurence Centre?
    Now we're left with 3 half empty SC's (Scotch, Colpe, Laurence) instead of one decent full one (and no decent cinema..yet)
    The lack of small business in Drogheda has always left me exasperated.
    That too has steadily declined to almost nothing now.
    There used to be quite a few factories in the area, even back in the 80's.
    Slowly and steadily they all closed down too.
    I sometimes wonder if you don't work in a shop, office, or the Lourdes hospital in Drogheda...where else can you work?
    Is there any small industry left in the town?
    Perhaps being so close to Dublin has worked against us in the end and we're turning into a commuter town?

CPL 593H

Advertisement