Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this child cruelty

• 01-07-2012 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

I was watching toddlers and tiaras and it just really disgusted me seeing these little girls with make up plastered on their little faces

These moms go from waxing to fake tan on their child to get them to win these pageants

this one mom was getting her 5YEAR OLD eyebrows waxed and her little girl screaming out in pain

another mom said she only got pregnant just so she can compete her child in the pageants

its disgusting to see these women doing this to these young children taking their childhood away and making them grow up so fast

my question is would you call this child cruelty

or do you think theirs nothing wrong with what the moms to do and they are well cared for

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I couldn't give a shoite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm all for instilling a child with self-confidence but i don't agree with that carry-on, not one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

I just caught a few minutes of it where a mother was claiming her 3 year old loved ballet only for d kid to pipe up with no I don't I hate ballet! Not only do I feel it's cruel, there is something weird about putting a bikini on a 5 year old,

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Pussnboots wrote: »
    I just caught a few minutes of it where a mother was claiming her 3 year old loved ballet only for d kid to pipe up with no I don't I hate ballet! Not only do I feel it's cruel, there is something weird about putting a bikini on a 5 year old,

its sexualising these poor young children IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yes.

It's just wrong in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's always disturbing watching a parent trying to fulfil their dreams through their child.

Turning young girls into sexualised freaks is a step too far. What really gets me, for some reason, is the false teeth the girls are forced to wear when their lose their milk teeth. A child wearing what looks like a dazzling set of veneers is just odd, and somehow makes the child look more doll like.

Some parents here are heading that way with communions and confirmations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Pussnboots

It would be the opinion of many I think, the African/American spraying fake tan on her daughter just shows how thick they (the moms) are! Gladly we don't have such need to parade our kids in the same light over here!

another mom injected her 8 year old with botox seriously wtf

some of these women just shouldn't have children at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

They're forcing them to grow up too quickly and also producing spoilt little brats all in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

yes totally wrong,waxing wtf (inflicting needles pain) on a 5 year old?and sexualisation,look a the jonabennet case..it is practiacally pimping them out..your children should be precious not commoditties for tropheys and stuff like that,not to mention the EXPENSE of all these competitions,its unfair to put a child through serious paces like that until there about 9 or 10 they can handle it but at five?completely wrong.and no child should be sexualised at any age/stage in their childhood..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

nadey wrote: »
    I call it pure stupidity, both the participants (mothers) and the viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fkface

Oh. I just had to register on here to express my dismay at the stupidity of Irish youth today.

Is this where all the priests absolve themself of buggering children? . . . and the Irish youth responds "and sign me up?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I hate seeing young children growing up before their time. It sickens me.

Was in a salon the other day, there was a woman holding her daughter down while she got her eyebrows threaded. Child was roaring. I felt like punching her mother. So I very loudly told the shop assistant that they should have a minimum age for it (14/16) and said after seeing that I won't be coming here again. I wasn't the only one disgusted that it was being done on a child no older than 7.

Does my head in seeing young teens think they are adults. Really makes me angry. Get the make up off, put on some respectable fcuking clothes and go home and play with barbie.

There's plenty of time to dress like sluts, trust me...

Pussnboots wrote: »
    It would be the opinion of many I think, the African/American spraying fake tan on her daughter just shows how thick they (the moms) are! Gladly we don't have such need to parade our kids in the same light over here!

i think it was last year when they were doing child beauty pageants it was all over the papers the people who organised were receiving death threats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's always disturbing watching a parent trying to fulfil their dreams through their child.

Turning young girls into sexualised freaks is a step too far. What really gets me, for some reason, is the false teeth the girls are forced to wear when their lose their milk teeth. A child wearing what looks like a dazzling set of veneers is just odd, and somehow makes the child look more doll like.

Some parents here are heading that way with communions and confirmations.

A living doll is just what some of these parents want. A plaything, a dancing monkey to amuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It is a form of abuse. There is no doubt about that in my mind.

syndeyfife wrote: »

Was in a salon the other day, there was a woman holding her daughter down while she got her eyebrows threaded. Child was roaring. I felt like punching her mother. So I very loudly told the shop assistant that they should have a minimum age for it (14/16) and said after seeing that I won't be coming here again. I wasn't the only one disgusted that it was being done on a child no older than 7.

Does my head in seeing young teens think they are adults. Really makes me angry. Get the make up off, put on some respectable fcuking clothes and go home and play with barbie.

fair play to you for standing up for the child

i would have done the same my self im shocked the salon actually done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

fair play to you for standing up for the child

i would have done the same my self im shocked the salon actually done it

The child was roaring, tears rolling down her face, legs kicking.. the mother smiling at everyone looking at her in horror.

This makes my blood boil. There is no need for it. Let children be children. I was an adult before I lost my baby teeth. This should not be happening.

Don't get me wrong, I've witnessed and been victim to child abuse of the physical kind...but Jesus what kind of self esteem will these children have? For as long as they will be able to remember they will be the vision their mother had and not themselves. It's disturbing and chilling to say the least. STop trying to change your child, let them be who they are. They shouldn't have to win beauty competitions to win the parents approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MyNameis.com

Now that is just sick!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Now that is just sick!! :confused:

check it out for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auzvSkIk7xg

that girl was taken off her mom and put into care the mom was charged with child cruelty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Businesses that do not respect the bodily integrity of children should be shut down.

No ear piercing.

No tattooing.

No tanning.

No fucking nothing.

We've got to stop businesses profiting from the stupidity of parents to the detriment of their children.

No, just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Post three on this thread answers the question

No need for any more comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'm uneasy enough about the torturous regimes grown women put themselves through in order to meet some fairly arbitrary beauty standards. The obsession with removing hair, the compulsion to dye your skin brown (or burn it that colour if you have the time)... it all puts me in mind of foot binding and the like. In 100 years people will be confused by what we did (whilst cheerfully struggling to meet a whole new set of criteria). Men are never compelled to do anything of the sort of course, yet we react with disgust towards women who don't follow the rituals.

To see that culture filtering through to young girls is really, really depressing. Fair play for saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

On another forum that I used to post on there was talk of these pageants taking place behind closed doors in places, Cork being one. And there were groups of people outside protesting.

Do these parents not see how wrong this is when they have to hide it? Absolutely sickens me. Total child abuse :mad:

Edited to add, I've also heard of seven year olds getting their hair highlighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think that some of it is cruel. There are obvious things that aren't cruel like makeup its just stupid.

There should be a legal age of around 13 on things that inflict pain like piercing and waxing and a legal age of 16 on any competitions that compare the looks of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Parents trying to live their own dreams and hopes through their children.

Pathetic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

What it amounts to is parents, or more specifically women who quite often happen to be housewives, putting extremely pressure on their daughters to make up for their own insecurities with regards to what they've accomplished, or not accomplished, in their lives.

These pageants just happen to be the first thing they can get their poor children into, if there were pre-birth competitions based on scans they would be entering them also.

It is absolutely pathetic and is robbing their children of the opportunity to be children, something that only comes once in life and is a vital part of becoming a well rounded human being.

I'm not sure what to make of the shows covering them in that I can't tell if they're trying to glamorize the pageantry or highlighting the sheer insanity of their existence, or a little bit of column A and B.

I can't imagine the damage it will do to the children involved but I would imagine the statute of limitations will have well passed before they get to realise it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I think placing young children on a stage and asking them to compete on the basis of beauty and asking the child to emulate a sort of manufactured lolitaesque/innocent girly disposition is child abuse to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Ok before I get attacked on here I DO NOT AGREE WITH CHILD BEAUTY PAGENTS!
    However...if it is something that the child wants to do themselves and are not being pressured into it then I think it's necessary to do the whole tan and make up thing or they won't be competitive. Look at how Irish dancing has changed over the years. When I danced many moons ago, ringlets and a traditional dress were all that we're required. Now it's over the top dresses, tan and make up, socks taped on, wigs etc. If I ever had a daughter who wanted to do Irish dancing I'd have no choice but to do all the above because thats the standard now. If you want to give your child the best possible chance of winning, sadly in this day and age it's what's winning on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Ok before I get attacked on here I DO NOT AGREE WITH CHILD BEAUTY PAGENTS!
    However...if it is something that the child wants to do themselves and are not being pressured into it then I think it's necessary to do the whole tan and make up thing or they won't be competitive. Look at how Irish dancing has changed over the years. When I danced many moons ago, ringlets and a traditional dress were all that we're required. Now it's over the top dresses, tan and make up, socks taped on, wigs etc. If I ever had a daughter who wanted to do Irish dancing I'd have no choice but to do all the above because thats the standard now. If you want to give your child the best possible chance of winning, sadly in this day and age it's what's winning on stage.

When I was a child I wanted to jump out of my upstairs bedroom window, because superman could do it and fly, so why couldn't I? Course, my parents knew this was potentially harmful so instead they stuck a superman costume on me, and my dad would "fly" me around the house. Kids want to do a lot of things, and it's a parent's job to let them fulfill this, but without harming them, or letting them harm themselves. Kids are little imagination factories, so this is fairly easy. My parents made me superman with a red cape, little girls can be made into "pretty princesses", or whatever it is they want, without turning them into fake, over sexualized, doll-like creatures. They then grow up mentally undamaged by this industry that's harsh and brutal for grown women, let alone children, just like I grew up physically undamaged by not front flipping from the second floor of my house.

By the way, I'm only referencing the pageants here, I'm not attacking Irish dancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

That programme is sickening tbh. The whole child beauty pageant world is sickening. I know everyone raved about the film Little Miss Sunshine but I hated it, think the whole pageant thing has really fucked up sinister undertones and that those events are sexualising little innocent tots. Putting fake tan on a bikini clad four year old and getting them to shake their booty is NOT cute. I'm sure they are a bloody hotbed as well for randy paedos....eeeuukkk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Fat ugly mammys trying to relive their young years all over again making their kids grow up to fast and turning them into targets for kiddie fiddlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It not right, crule yes, I can't go as far as abuse though. We could go with neglect as it neglects them in certain ways but even then this does not seem to caught. Need anothe coffee and cig to ponder this, too early in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

These things are absolutely disgusting, and anyone who involves their children in them is a moron and shouldn't have children. there's a woman who gives her 3 year old a drink made of coffee, sugar and red bull I think constantly so she'll be alert for pageants. How bad is that? That must be child abuse.

alie wrote: »
    Yes I think its cruel, and I noticed some of the judges are men which is sick. There is a lot of prize money to be had at these so called beuty pagents .
    So what you're saying is that it's ok for women to judge little girls and boys in these things based on their appearance in a bikini, but it's not ok for men to, thus implying that only men can be pedophiles or predators.

Quite a sad and naive point of view really, but certainly a popular one. This constant push to make men who've anything to do with children look dodgy has innocent men and particularly innocent male parents the world over wanting little or nothing to do with children, even their own children, out of fear of how it'll be perceived by others and particularly the women around them.

Good times most certainly do not lay ahead with such contagious idiocy spreading throughout society.

good christ it has nothing to do with the judges being male or female - it's sick and wrong either way. especially if waxing comes into the picture?!
    and of course all the mothers and judges are always overweight :rolleyes:
    they should be done for child abuse

bluewolf wrote: »
    good christ it has nothing to do with the judges being male or female - it's sick and wrong either way. especially if waxing comes into the picture?!
    and of course all the mothers and judges are always overweight :rolleyes:
    they should be done for child abuse
    Oh of course and I fully agree, I was just irked by the fact that someone would make a deal over men being involved and not of women, particularly when the men would be significantly outnumbered.

I've unfortunately watched a few episodes of this thanks to my OH having a fondness for vacuous reality tv and there seems to be a consistent theme regarding the mothers: Overweight, don't work, sometimes former beauty queens who haven't had attention in along time, nutjobs with husbands who either don't have the balls to say "no" to them over something involving their own child, or have learned from experience that saying "no" to them isn't worth the hassle.

It's a fantastic money making racket for the organisers, dress makers, etc. though. There is often what seems to be significant prize money involved in these but the "winner" of it will have spent multiples of that money in getting to that position in that one contest.

It's essentially predatory organisers taking advantage of the insecurities of people who themselves are taking advantage of their childs innocence and inability to say "no".

'Murrica.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

its disgusting to see these women doing this to these young children taking their childhood away and making them grow up so fast

I consider it a form of abuse towards children, perpetrated by stupid and selfish adults who should not have been allowed have children.

However, at the risk of introducing inappropriate levity into a topic which is quite serious by AH standards (and it's actually something I feel strongly about): Tom Hanks and his daughter give a good account of the people involved in these ridiculous pageants-

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm sure they are a bloody hotbed as well for randy paedos....

For what it's worth this comment actually seems incorrect to me. Most paedophiles typically lose interest in older children, and tend to prefer children who look younger, whereas these pageants tend to be won by young children being dressed up to look like miniature women. This is not a subject I've studied, but in any documentaries I've seen of abuse within families the abuser tends to lose interest in daughters as they approach puberty, and then turn their sick attention towards the younger siblings if there are any.

So what kind of person puts their daughters into these pageants? I strongly suspect these are mothers (it is mostly mothers) and fathers who want to draw attention to themselves for their looks, and this is a way of satisfying their vanity "by proxy". I don't imagine you could stop these competitions, but I think politicians and child welfare groups should put pressure on organisers to set standards for competitors which are less harmful on the psyche of the child competitors. No swimwear, no make-up, no high-heels, and all clothing to comply with some standard which does not go much beyond jeans-and-T-shirts. The scoring should be more driven towards the cultivating of a talent than the ridiculous idea of a "beauty contest" for pre-teens.

If there is a balance to the argument, it may be that making young girls conscious of their weight might encourage them to manage their eating in a more healthy manner. I consider that a weak argument, since most sports could have achieved the same thing, and getting your daughter interested in a sport (or dance classes, etc) is far more emotionally developmental.

Z

PS: I should qualify my answer by pointing out that I'm broadly opposed to beauty contests for women & men of any age, from "Bonny Baby" to "Miss Universe". There is already far too much devotion to beauty and celebrity in our society, and it has not served the greater society well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

When ever I see that show on I have to leave the room because I feel like only pedo would watching this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

anyone who would inject her child with botox or wax a child, should have these children taken from them, these kids deserve better, they deserve to be children.

goat2 wrote: »
    anyone who would inject her child with botox or wax a child, should have these children taken from them, these kids deserve better, they deserve to be children.
    Absolutely. Look what happened Michael Jackson when he was robbed of his childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I'm all for instilling a child with self-confidence but i don't agree with that carry-on, not one bit

I think that these competitions do the very opposite. They encourage children to a) measure their value against their success rate in pageants and b) to develop an unhealthy obsession with their appearance (and let's face it, this isn't a "pretty baby" competition, it's the sexualisation of children). I'd say that these kids will be fcuked up by the time they reach adulthood.

I find the idea of adult beauty pageants offensive but child pageants are infinitely worse.

Do these things happen in Ireland? Any users enter their kids into them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ive seen children in ireland wearing make up,i saw one the other month,it was over the communion season they were wearing hoops under their dresses,(mainly travellers)fake tan and make up,and even bleached teeth and hair pieces,it looked over the top and ridiculous!

MrReynholm wrote: »
    Oh of course and I fully agree, I was just irked by the fact that someone would make a deal over men being involved and not of women, particularly when the men would be significantly outnumbered.

It was the other person I was yelling at :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

They're being made to look like miniature women, don't know whether kiddie fiddlers would like that.
    Irish dancing and communions becoming like that is ****ed up too though. Little girls often love dressing up, messing with their mum's make-up and jewellery etc and I think they should be allowed. But spray tan, waxing, hair lightening, eye-brow threading, cosmetic dentistry etc - I wouldn't allow it. Those parents (mostly mothers) are cuntts.

that tom hanks video is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

As with most questions in life, this thread can be answered with one sentence......

People are idiots.

All those people who enter there kids in these shows shouldn't be allowed to keep their children. The same goes for people getting their daughters plucked and waxed and tanned for communions.
    Makes me sick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement