Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this child cruelty

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Telly again..........where everything bad begins .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, of course putting children into beauty pageants is child abuse -beyond question.

The sight of 5 and 6 year old girls made up like adults is both very disturbing and wrong. Social services should consider putting these children into care if their parents insist on treating them this way.

Far too many people have children who don't deserve in any way to. Sadly it's human nature. As another poster opined, people are idiots.

I'd also add that they are selfish c*nts too for putting their children through these ordeals that will only serve to damage them - often badly - by the time they reach adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Odysseus wrote: »
    It not right, crule yes, I can't go as far as abuse though. We could go with neglect as it neglects them in certain ways but even then this does not seem to caught. Need anothe coffee and cig to ponder this, too early in the morning.

Sorry i would have to disagree with you on that one

waxing and giving your 8 year old daughter botox is abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Merkin wrote: »
    That programme is sickening tbh. The whole child beauty pageant world is sickening. I know everyone raved about the film Little Miss Sunshine but I hated it, think the whole pageant thing has really fucked up sinister undertones and that those events are sexualising little innocent tots. Putting fake tan on a bikini clad four year old and getting them to shake their booty is NOT cute. I'm sure they are a bloody hotbed as well for randy paedos....eeeuukkk

Little Miss Sunshine was a brilliant movie and makes a mockery of child beauty pageants as the girl starring in it was plain and chubby as opposed to the typical mini-models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Number one cause of paedophilia? Sexy kids!

Seriously though, that show sickens me. You see the kids crying before going on stage because they're exhausted, but they're just pushed and pushed into it. I find it disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Unfortunately the parents cannot see how wrong it really is but then again people who watch these shows are wrong as well.
    I think I watched one show and it was sad to watch little kids crying with disappointment when they did not win.
    The one I did watch one child did not want to go on stage but the parents forced her.
    Child cruelty is a bit strong but it's definitely not right either but the parents think they are doing the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

nadey wrote: »
    Sorry i would have to disagree with you on that one

waxing and giving your 8 year old daughter botox is abuse

We diagree then, if you see it report to social services. Not being smart but I would be very interested to see what would happen, not a lot I think. There are many type of abuse, I spend a lot of my time lkistening in detail the generally the worst forms, I'm not aggreeing with this behaviour, but I'm not sure I would go as far as abuse in all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I hate seeing young children growing up before their time. It sickens me.

Was in a salon the other day, there was a woman holding her daughter down while she got her eyebrows threaded. Child was roaring. I felt like punching her mother. So I very loudly told the shop assistant that they should have a minimum age for it (14/16) and said after seeing that I won't be coming here again. I wasn't the only one disgusted that it was being done on a child no older than 7.

Does my head in seeing young teens think they are adults. Really makes me angry. Get the make up off, put on some respectable fcuking clothes and go home and play with barbie.

There's plenty of time to dress like sluts, trust me...

Totally agree with you, Syndeyfife, but think its ironic that you suggest at the end of your (understandable) rant, that the kids should be playing with BARBIEs instead..... Now there's one screwed up female with weird body image!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I disagree with beauty pageants on principle. I can't understand why any loving parent would nominate their child to have their looks judged by a pervy old man.

BUT...

I do think its okay for children to wear bit of make up on the stage, if its for a hobby. I've done Irish dancing my whole life, and regularly wore a wig and make up, and it didn't do me any harm. A lot of the time, its necessary, what with the bright stage lights.

With hobbies, the performance is being judged on talent, not looks, which is why dancing is COMPLETELY different to beauty pageants.

I think allowing kids to wear a bit of make up for a performance, whether it be for a Play, a Dancing competition or whatever is fine. To me, its similar to playing dress up.

Waxing or any kind of semi permanent body modification (hair dye, piercings) is a big no-no before the teen years though. As my own mother used to say, its okay so long as it'll come off with a baby wipe ;)

I think it depends on the context its done in. A bit of glitter will never hurt a child, insinuating they need a stranger to confirm they're beautiful is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

I think its disgusting I can never watch an episode. I have 2 little girls myself and I want them to be confident and feel beautiful as they are and to know they do no need make-up and fake tans to look good.

My eldest got a present of a childs make-up box from one set of god-parent last year and I dumped it, she was 3. Who gives a 3 year old make up as a birthday present.??

I think pagents should be banned for kids under 16 at least by that age they might have the sense to choose themselves and not be forced into it by there parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

I'm not adverse to a bit of botox or fake tan for myself, but the thoughts of administering either to my little girl ever is just horrendous. It's one thing letting kids play with make-up (not very young kids) but plastering on and putting that pressure on them about their looks so young is irresponsible and cruel. Puberty's bad enough without carrying that baggage too-oh you were such a beautiful child,now you have bad skin/greasy hair/puppy fat etc.?
    I was recently asked if I'd be piercing her ears (ffs shes not even 6 months old) and was freaked out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

I was recently asked if I'd be piercing her ears (ffs shes not even 6 months old) and was freaked out :(

My husbands aunt gave us really expensive earrings for our eldest when she was born and expected us to head out and pierce them there and then. She was so set on getting them done for her because she is a girl and should have them done that my husband will not let her babysit to this day as she had said she will get them done when we are not there.

Some people need to leave kids be kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

lisatu wrote: »
    My husbands aunt gave us really expensive earrings for our eldest when she was born and expected us to head out and pierce them there and then. She was so set on getting them done for her because she is a girl and should have them done that my husband will not let her babysit to this day as she had said she will get them done when we are not there.

Some people need to leave kids be kids.

Funnily enough, the question was asked, with a follow up of when they can babysit for us :D er, when she graduates :cool:

Advertisement