Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL alternative

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

I'm in the Killygordon area, currently getting broadband and phone from Vodafone, which is really beginning to get on my nerves - having to reset router at random times to get it working, sometimes ridiculously low speeds. I rang Eircom and my line can only take 1mb and if I get that I'm lucky :eek: There doesn't seem to be any plans to update the exchange either.

I've been looking into an alternative. NWE wireless is one that has cropped up. I emailed them and their prices are attractive as well as the idea of getting 3mb :D I found a thread referring to them and it wasn't complimentary, but it was 2 years old, so am looking for any experiences with them or alternatives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

i am using it here in fanad and have been for the last 3-4 years with no complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

we had i as a backup and one of our office staff at home, it was terrible until they upgraded to new kit (12months ish ago), in fact we use our 10mb in office as first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

we had i as a backup and one of our office staff at home, it was terrible until they upgraded to new kit (12months ish ago), in fact we use our 10mb in office as first choice.

Have 2 mates that have it and had the same problem until the upgrade but now it super fast and have little or no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sounds good so far. Is the speed dependant on distance or area? I'm clueless on this wireless craic:rolleyes:

Yiou basically need line of sight to one of their aerials

we have a big aerial outside our office in donegal town pointing at barnesmore gap.

the person in the office has a telegraph pole to the top of a hill at the back of the garden (its the only place you can see barnesmore from her land) and around a 100m of network cable up to it, how the power over ethernet works to that i'll never know

• Advertisement

OK, sound. I've emailed them and they can't tell me where the nearest aerial is until they send out someone to install it. I'm reluctant to commit to something unless I know what I'm going to get. Mind you, anything more than the <1 mb would be good.

Any hidden charges I should know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've emailed them and they can't tell me where the nearest aerial is until they send out someone to install
    Sounds a bit suss

muffler wrote: »
    Sounds a bit suss

nah they do that all the time, they want you to sign up first, (i'm sure it puts people off though) in our case it was a second connection for the office (so it was going in anyway) and it was a house where they were never going to get anything else if this didnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

OK, sound. I've emailed them and they can't tell me where the nearest aerial is until they send out someone to install it. I'm reluctant to commit to something unless I know what I'm going to get. Mind you, anything more than the <1 mb would be good.

Any hidden charges I should know about?

Did you look at their covergae map? http://www.nwewn.com/coverage_maps.php

nah they do that all the time, they want you to sign up first, (i'm sure it puts people off though)

It does! You feel tied into it.
    slimboyfat wrote: »
    Did you look at their covergae map? http://www.nwewn.com/coverage_maps.php

Yep, but it's not a great map, blurs when you enlarge. I'm vaguely in the lilac alright, but would prefer if they just told me "there's an aerial near X, can you see it?"

• Advertisement

Just rang them there. An engineer comes out and if you can't get the service, you aren't charged. The girl said that there is a 2/3 month waiting list, so plenty of time to change my mind if I hear any different experiences!

Advertisement