Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possession

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Aquila wrote: »
    Any famous cases of spirits possessing living beings?
    In Ireland or UK

There's an interesting article below, detailing a number of cases, one of which briefly mentions an Irish man who allegedly became possessed after dabbling with the ouija board when he moved to the UK.
    Afterward, he used the board again and again, and felt the after-effects for years. "I had all kinds of troubles down the years and I could never understand the terrible blasphemous thoughts that came into my head."

Three years ago, he found himself having to be held down by four priests while a prayer for deliverance was said over his struggling, screaming body.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0418.html

There was the well-known case of the alleged poltergeist in Enfield, North London, during the late 1970s (it went on for over a year), where a 12-year-old girl named Janet was reputed to be possessed by a spirit intermittently.

I read that book 'This House Is Haunted' by Guy Lyon Playfair. All the details of the case are recorded in the book quite dispassionately and matter-of-factly, but parts of that book gave me goosebumps. The book has been out of print for many years, but it can be bought second-hand on Amazon.

I haven't really heard about any Irish cases of spirit possession, tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"The Dark Sacrement" has a few Irish stories that involve posession but I dont know how credible the tales are.

Ireland's Catholic Exorcist is Fr. Pat Collins, he has some interesting stories, if you can manage to track him down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I heard one about a kid in Dublin somewhere, possibly Malahide (could be way off though!) I will try to find something on it. Possession, whether it be a spiritual thing or a psychological problem is extremely fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

faceman wrote: »
    "The Dark Sacrement" has a few Irish stories that involve posession but I dont know how credible the tales are.

Ireland's Catholic Exorcist is Fr. Pat Collins, he has some interesting stories, if you can manage to track him down!

Brilliant book, absolutely amazing read. One of the authors gave a talk at the Para Con a few years ago and he does seem pretty genuine so I'd say they are credible enough accounts. I suppose though it also depends on how much or what you. His co-author wrote another book "Irelands Haunted Women", from what I remember most of the cases again involved homes being haunted or spirits / ghosts attaching themselves to people as opposed to actual possesion.

A lot of the details (names and places) are all changed so you wouldn't recognise that maybe a neighbour or colleague etc was involved in a possesion, that most of the details in one of the chapters actually matched a guy from the town I grew up in.

Off topic but if you read and like that book, another to check out is "Hostage to the Devil", its cases in the U.S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement