Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Basically you soak the oats overnight. It makes them very creamy. My boy has a suspected dairy allergy so I do it with coconut milk, oats, desicated coconut, chia seeds and honey. Into a jar, shake like mad, leave overnight. Also nice with almond milk, grated carrot, raisins and some ginger.

Seriously though loads online if they're not to your taste. I've heard of people doing it with fruit tea and berries, juice as well as normal milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Whispered wrote: »
    I do it with coconut milk, oats, desicated coconut, chia seeds and honey.

Thanks this is freaky but a friend told me about this earlier on and had that exact recipe so I did it! So weird. Bit worried about honey for almost 1 year old though and wondering if I should wait longer.

No honey before one. I'd imagine it's sweet enough with the desicated coconut anyway, the honey could be left out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think they are currently changing the recommendation to no honey before 2 at the moment just fyi!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Lucuma, we are in the same boat! 16 months and used to wolf down his breakfast of wheetabix and some shredded wheat feeding himself, which was great as I also work. But in the last week he's having none of it. He won't take any wheetabix and the few shredded wheat minis that he puts in his mouth get chewed a bit then spat out again. He also has a cold, so that may have something to do with it. might try some of these tips here.

Sounds the very same as my dd. My fantastic eater that basically ate everything I put in front of her, has vanished and there's this fussy, moany creature in her place who keeps throwing the food on the ground (including whole bowls of stuff) if it's not to her taste, and very little seems to be to her taste these days... :(

I tie it with our 11 day trip home for Xmas where we stayed with parents and parents-in-law. She discovered sweets and crap and I couldn't control at all times what she was given. She also got to see lots of other kids eating crap and refusing foods.

Anyway it keeps me on my toes!!! Every meal is now a challenge. Tried putting raisins in the porridge she discovered yesterday she can just pick the raisins out - so much better than eating the porridge! Gave her muesli & milk this morning to feed herself, went ok but oh my god the mess.......she was also picking out the raisins. Left her at it for about 15 mins I'd say she actually ate about 2 spoons of muesli going by the amount I put in the bin afterwards. I then gave her a potato cake/waffle. She seemed to be going to eat it but hubby had to take her to the childminder at that stage.
    The childminder would have been used to getting her with a belly full of breakfast so I'd say she's noticed she now receives a ravenous child!

• Advertisement

I think they are currently changing the recommendation to no honey before 2 at the moment just fyi!

Oh really! Where did you hear that? Do you have any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Don't know exactly , heard it on the grapevine on facebook. Either a parenting group or the baby led weaning group!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Lucuma wrote: »
    Sounds the very same as my dd. My fantastic eater that basically ate everything I put in front of her, has vanished and there's this fussy, moany creature in her place who keeps throwing the food on the ground (including whole bowls of stuff) if it's not to her taste, and very little seems to be to her taste these days... :(

I tie it with our 11 day trip home for Xmas where we stayed with parents and parents-in-law. She discovered sweets and crap and I couldn't control at all times what she was given. She also got to see lots of other kids eating crap and refusing foods.

Anyway it keeps me on my toes!!! Every meal is now a challenge. Tried putting raisins in the porridge she discovered yesterday she can just pick the raisins out - so much better than eating the porridge! Gave her muesli & milk this morning to feed herself, went ok but oh my god the mess.......she was also picking out the raisins. Left her at it for about 15 mins I'd say she actually ate about 2 spoons of muesli going by the amount I put in the bin afterwards. I then gave her a potato cake/waffle. She seemed to be going to eat it but hubby had to take her to the childminder at that stage.
    The childminder would have been used to getting her with a belly full of breakfast so I'd say she's noticed she now receives a ravenous child!

I had to lol at the image of her happily picking out the raisins, Mummy gave me a great new game! :)

yeah our guy is also throwing loads more on the floor recently, its great craic for him. My OH was telling him 'No throwing' every time he did it at dinner but it just seemed to make him worse, so now we are trying to ignore the food throwing and talk to him more while eating in case he was just doing it to get our reaction. We'll see how well that works!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I had to lol at the image of her happily picking out the raisins, Mummy gave me a great new game! :)

yeah our guy is also throwing loads more on the floor recently, its great craic for him. My OH was telling him 'No throwing' every time he did it at dinner but it just seemed to make him worse, so now we are trying to ignore the food throwing and talk to him more while eating in case he was just doing it to get our reaction. We'll see how well that works!!

Yeah I'm ignoring it for now.....well I make a comment like ''oh look it's on the floor'' but not in a cross voice. I have a feeling getting cross over it could encourage it as well, they're too young for discipline at this age I try to save the ''cross voice'' for serious issues like safety issues or if she wants to leave the house without shoes etc.

Advertisement