Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people say 'partner' instead of girlfriend / boyfriend / husband (etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I created this thread to have a mature discussion.

In After hours :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its more pc to say partner,and what if someone was bi,and had a gf and went on to bf or vice versa,they would probably say partner a lot.

also i think partner signifies a serious relationship as opposed to a sex companion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm married and proud of it. My wife is too and she goes out of her way to emphasise the fact.

A different word should be used, from a religious point of view, partners are living in sin and lots of the faithful must go to mass everyday and ask God to forgive all those partners living together.

From a romantic point of view it's a cold calculated expression, void of emotion, feelings and security.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 dazzledust88

gammygils wrote: »
    Partner in Life I suppose.

Or crime ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gbee wrote: »
    A different word should be used, from a religious point of view, partners are living in sin and lots of the faithful must go to mass everyday and ask God to forgive all those partners living together.

oh dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

gsxr1 wrote: »
    with my Mott for 20 years. Calling her the girlfreind is a bit childish at this stage.

I like to call her

the ole ball and chain.

LOL beat me to it. Its actually moth. As in, she is like a moth that hovers around you (the flame). Even more insulting :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Lookit all dem homophobes.

I can't believe I've actually read a conversation mostly written by adults where the base implication from a lot of people is that they don't like a certain word because "that's gay!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Lookit all dem homophobes.

I can't believe I've actually read a conversation mostly written by adults where the base implication from a lot of people is that they don't like a certain word because "that's gay!"

i cant believe i just read a post that i presume was written by an adult, who still uses txtspeak, but hey, there you go! takes all kinds i suppose... :rolleyes:

one or two posters in the whole thread? way to get down with your go-righteous self! :pac:

xsiborg wrote: »
    i cant believe i just read a post that i presume was written by an adult, who still uses txtspeak, but hey, there you go! takes all kinds i suppose... :rolleyes:

one or two posters in the whole thread? way to get down with your go-righteous self! :pac:

You're not too familiar with the internet are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

My parents always referred to each other as partner growing up (probably because they were unable to get married for many years due to my dads divorce in England not counting over here). They're married now but still use partner sometimes.
    Maybe because I grew up with it it doesn't sound strange to me, and I wouldn't assume someone was gay because they used partner.
    I guess people just use whatever feels comfortable to them.

You're not too familiar with the internet are you?

what has that got to do with this thread? i dont mean to be argumentative but you're speaking in circular riddles now that it's been pointed out to you that it was only one or two posters who equated the word partner with homosexuality, not the extrapolated numbers you tried to imply.

you should probably try to familiarise yourself with boards.ie before you ask someone else are they familiar with the internet.

you tried to make a contentious statement and failed miserably in the execution. your post did give me a laugh though, so well done for that much at least.

xsiborg wrote: »
    what has that got to do with this thread? i dont mean to be argumentative but you're speaking in circular riddles now that it's been pointed out to you that it was only one or two posters who equated the word partner with homosexuality, not the extrapolated numbers you tried to imply.

you should probably try to familiarise yourself with boards.ie before you ask someone else are they familiar with the internet.

you tried to make a contentious statement and failed miserably in the execution. your post did give me a laugh though, so well done for that much at least.

Yeah, you really have no idea what you're arguing with. "Lookit dem.." is internet slang, not "txtspeak." Spend more time on the internet mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I hear partner, I immediately think crime... Tell me I'm not the only one.

Yeah, you really have no idea what you're arguing with. "Lookit dem.." is internet slang, not "txtspeak." Spend more time on the internet mate.

i think i could get to like you... :D

lookit dem is retard speak, whatever medium it's being transmitted through

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    lookit dem is retard speak, whatever medium it's being transmitted through

And "retard speak" is slang, you big lovable hypocrite you! :D

And "retard speak" is slang, you big lovable hypocrite you! :D

i was making it easy for you to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Because they dont want to offend the person they are cheating with:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Spend more time on the internet mate.

oooooooooooh burn!!!

You should spend less time on the internet if your talking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

It's better than people calling their wife the war office.

• Advertisement

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    oooooooooooh burn!!!

You should spend less time on the internet if your talking like that.

"You're"

But I suppose "u trollz me lolz!"

"You're"

But I suppose "u trollz me lolz!"

One of them eh? You'll never change :P

this thread:

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have always thought of partner as being used as in life-partner but not married ie living together but in a serious relationship. Or the sort of people who believe in being together but not wanting to commit legally. More than just girlfriend or boyfriend. It gets complicated after 40 though when girl or boy friend sounds a bit silly but the people are just seeing one another. I suppose that's friends with benefits...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I hear it all the time and I have no problem with it and have never associated it exclusively with gay couples.

I think it first came about when people had separations as opposed to divorce and their new partner was what else but their partner - wife/husband being ruled out.

That and single people getting older, boyfriend/girlfriend justs sounds ridiculous .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

It's "de missus".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

The only partner you should have is for playing tennis with.

FishBowel wrote: »
    The only partner you should have is for playing tennis with.

Or going on stake outs with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I think it's a cack word altogether.

On the other hand I got married a year back and I have a problem with the word 'wife' and don't like being referred to as 'my husband'. Don't get me wrong, it's nothing to do with a lack of commitment, more that it makes me feel old! I refer to my wife as 'my woman' and she refers to me as her man. I think that's a much nicer way to talk about your 'partner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

imbarassed to call them wife or girlfriend. its all about been ashamed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

The term Gay or Homosexual would not enter my mind re discussing the term Partner, it escapes me why it was even mentioned in the first post tbh.

because believe it or not it is common for gay guys/girls to use it so that they're not prematurely judged based on their sexual orientation. I know when a lesbian couple moved in with me, the girl who rang up the landlord said herself and her partner were looking for the room. I can understand that, unfortunately some people would be put off straight away at her using the word 'girlfriend'.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    because believe it or not it is common for gay guys/girls to use it so that they're not prematurely judged based on their sexual orientation. I know when a lesbian couple moved in with me, the girl who rang up the landlord said herself and her partner were looking for the room. I can understand that, unfortunately some people would be put off straight away at her using the word 'girlfriend'.

Giggidy, giddidy, goo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

190E2.516 wrote: »
    imbarassed to call them wife or girlfriend. its all about been ashamed
    Um. Yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

--LOS-- wrote: »

Yep as I pointed out I would, call anyone I'm dating as my partner, the thing is and most people would agree, from their posts, is why someone would assume I'm gay based on the fact I use "Partner" to describe, my OH (other half), it just seems a little bizzare :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

boyfriend sounds a little stupid as you get older.

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Yep as I pointed out I would, call anyone I'm dating as my partner, the thing is and most people would agree, from their posts, is why someone would assume I'm gay based on the fact I use "Partner" to describe, my OH (other half), it just seems a little bizzare :confused:

So if you're knocking a chick off for two weeks you would call her your partner? :eek:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    So if you're knocking a chick off for two weeks you would call her your partner? :eek:

I don't actually knock anyone off, that's way to ganster. If I was seeing someone "seriously" I would introduce them as my partner/friend depending how serious it was.

What would you call a girl that you have being shagging for two weeks, out of interest?

I don't actually knock anyone off, that's way to ganster. If I was seeing someone "seriously" I would introduce them as my partner/friend depending how serious it was.

What would you call a girl that you have being shagging for two weeks, out of interest?

A ride! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Do you not see a huge difference between partner and friend though? One is serious the other not at all, like you're friends with benefits maybe "friends" would awkwardly apply.

If I was fucking anyone for two weeks I'd just say I was hitting up with someone. I wouldn't name it really but if I had to, id say I was seeing someone at that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

' Partner ' is a word that means nothing other than a sort of Politically Correct gender- neutral blandness - can't stand it.

Of course I do, hence why I actually us the terms partner/friend, you seem to have missed my point, When I'm dating someone, I would use the term partner, meaning that I am committed to them. After all we are discussing why someone would use the word "Partner", rather than GF or BF, so I'm not even sure why you want to know what I would say to someone I've known for two weeks. but here you go...

Never heard of Hitting up with someone, but each to their own, do they mind you saying that about them, while you are introducing them in a public place, I would normally just introduce them as their name and state they where a friend of mine, but as I said different strokes for different folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I use the word partner when I need to sound more mature, as I hate the word fiance and boyfriend doesn't make our relationship sound as serious as it really is.

Delancey wrote: »
    ' Partner ' is a word that means nothing other than a sort of Politically Correct gender- neutral blandness - can't stand it.

Great come up with an alternative then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this one before:

If you feel too old to be saying 'girlfriend', or you don't like being referred to as 'husband'/'wife' as you think it makes you seem ancient, or dislike the ambiguity of 'partner', etc., just use the first name of the [insert contentious noun here] in your life.

For example, if you're in conversation and say something along the lines of "John and I are going to Spain in August", and then, in the same conversation, mention something like "John and I were getting the dinner ready when...", people will probably cop-on to the fact that (i) you're in love with a person; (ii) whose name is John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The woman or this wee thing im riding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

How about Husband or Wife or Boyfriend or Girlfriend or Fiancee, etc for starters ? I certainly would prefer be called one of the above rather than ' Partner '.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When I met my husband he I was in my 40ths and he was in his 50ths...I never really said anything I introduced him by name at social occasions, people are not stupid they knew we were in a relationship, I did say he was my partner in some business/financial situation where it was relevent....however I would have felt silly introducing him as my bf at my age...maybe I should have introduced him as my lover! or my beau!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Of course I do, hence why I actually us the terms partner/friend, you seem to have missed my point, When I'm dating someone, I would use the term partner, meaning that I am committed to them. After all we are discussing why someone would use the word "Partner", rather than GF or BF, so I'm not even sure why you want to know what I would say to someone I've known for two weeks. but here you go...

Never heard of Hitting up with someone, but each to their own, do they mind you saying that about them, while you are introducing them in a public place, I would normally just introduce them as their name and state they where a friend of mine, but as I said different strokes for different folks :)

You asked someone what you would call someone you were shagging for two weeks and I told you. Never asked you the same question though.

Thats a common saying dude;) I say I'm hitting up with someone as in having casual sex. If I introduce them to friends it might mean it's something a bit more serious and I might say I'm seeing them. Not bf/gf or dating. Why does everything have to be introductions and stuff? There he is that's his name, there you go.

They don't care what I call it. We both know what it is so its a non issue.
    Now if I was serious about someone and wanted more I'd say boyfriend or girlfriend depending but I doubt I'd ever say partner. Like you said though, different strokes and all that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

mariaalice wrote: »
    When I met my husband he I was in my 40ths and he was in his 50ths...I never really said anything I introduced him by name at social occasions, people are not stupid they knew we were in a relationship...

Even better than my idea - bring the person-in-question along as a prop, and people won't fail to grasp the significance :)

The woman or this wee thing im riding.

What if you were introducing them to clients (that want to do business with your company, to you it means a 300 euro bonus) your right you may get the job based on honesty:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement