Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people say 'partner' instead of girlfriend / boyfriend / husband (etc)

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Methinks that we live in a place that would find shock value in introducing a natural relationship from our perspective to someone who "we think" could possibly take such as less than ordinary, regardless of whatever. Such is the world that we live in, everyone has their interpretation of whats "normal". Boy meets girl etc...or...girl meets girl or boy meets boy and in their book = WTF? We live in a suspicious world, such a shame.

• I don't understand where people are getting all this 'PC' and 'gender neutral' crap from. In the English language, the words 'girlfriend' and 'boyfriend' just sound incredibly juvenile. You have girlfriends and boyfriends when you're 14, not when you're 35 and living together with kids. 'Partner' is just a way of saying you have a serious romantic partner you're sharing your life with. The term makes it clear that it's a serious relationship in a way that 'girlfriend/boyfriend' just doesn't. Nobody needs to bleat on about it, but I can't get my head around someone having a problem with:

Person A "Who are you going on holiday with, your mates?"
    Person B "No, with my partner"

Is it that it annoys you that you can't figure out whether the person is gay or straight? Why does it matter?

For the 'put a ring on it' crowd, why on earth do you think everyone should conform to what you think is normal? Some people just don't want to get married. Some people can't get married for one reason or another. I'm actually shocked at some of the uber-conservative attitudes on this thread and even more shocked at how much people think it's their place to poke their noses into other people's personal lives. Maybe I've been living in London too long.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    because believe it or not it is common for gay guys/girls to use it so that they're not prematurely judged based on their sexual orientation.

I noticed this too. I know two lesbians who refer to their "partners" so sexuality does cross my mind when I hear it.

Advertisement