Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland have not won against a higher ranked team since...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

darkman2 wrote: »
    ...2001. Can you believe it?

Sure can. Mainly due to having watched said games.

Regarding the play-offs. The official result is a draw. That's good enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well obviously we can continue to debate the exact nature of the France playoff result. But while it can be argued the title of this thread is not strictly true for me there is a lot to it. I have said before on other threads that I highly respect what Trapattoni has done in getting the Irish team back onto an even keel and making us difficult to beat again. But my main problem with Trappattoni is that he and his nagative tactics have got exposed again and again when we play any good to top level international sides. That night in Paris aside we have failed to beat any of the top sides. Plus as his reign has gone on our stone age tactics have been worked over and are now exposed by any teams with some legit quality. Cue the contrast between how we played against Italy in the 2010 world cup and more recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So we havn't done it since 2001 or we do it once every 8 years. I look forward to the next glorious result in 2017!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

jayteecork wrote: »
    Still bit of a joke we're ranked the 18th best team IN THE WORLD by FIFA.

Our ELO ranking of 32th is more accurate, maybe even a little high.

Think we drop to 26th in the next FIFA rankings release.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I too was convinced that the score after 90 minutes was the official score but

[QUOTE=source]If tied at the end of regulation time, in some competitions the game may go into extra time, which consists of two further 15-minute periods. If the score is still tied after extra time, some competitions allow the use of penalty shootouts (known officially in the Laws of the Game as "kicks from the penalty mark") to determine a winner. Note that goals scored during extra time periods considered part of the final score of the game, unlike kicks from the penalty mark which are only used to decide the team that progresses to the next part of the tournament.[/QUOTE]

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I too was convinced that the score after 90 minutes was the official score but
    If you bet on the game you get paid out on a win after 90 minutes.

What you quoted there is what happens in a one leg game. Its totally different in a two legged affair.

For instance if Ireland won 2-1 then there would not have been extra time. Its definitely an Irish win in that game against France.

Advertisement