Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetic dog soiling bed

• 01-07-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

My 10 year old Cairn cross was diagnosed as diabetic about 3 months ago. The vet is working to regulate her insulin dosage but as yet it's not under control. My big problem at the moment is that every night she soils her bed and continues to lie in it. She does this on nights when she's also peed on one of the training pads that I've down for her. I know it's not her fault and is a symptom of the illness but it's very very wearing. Every morning I have to wash her and her bed. I know this is a small thing but it's really starting to get me down at this stage and I was hoping that someone might have some advice for me. She doesn't get scolded for doing it but gets plenty of praise when she uses a pad.

Obviously if I had a choice I'd much rather she only pees on the pads but I'd be really pleased if I could stop her lying in it. All advice greatly welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My 10 year old Cairn cross was diagnosed as diabetic about 3 months ago. The vet is working to regulate her insulin dosage but as yet it's not under control. My big problem at the moment is that every night she soils her bed and continues to lie in it. She does this on nights when she's also peed on one of the training pads that I've down for her. I know it's not her fault and is a symptom of the illness but it's very very wearing. Every morning I have to wash her and her bed. I know this is a small thing but it's really starting to get me down at this stage and I was hoping that someone might have some advice for me. She doesn't get scolded for doing it but gets plenty of praise when she uses a pad.

Obviously if I had a choice I'd much rather she only pees on the pads but I'd be really pleased if I could stop her lying in it. All advice greatly welcome.

Thanks

I ran out of my dogs incontinence medicine (propalin) over a bank holiday weekend. My dog was the leaking every time she lay down and was lying in it. She bum was constantly soaking and I was afraid that the urine could burn her skin. I rang Ucd for some propalin and they said they only stock emergency medicine so advised me to put a babys nappy on the dog when she is lying down or put a potty pad under her whenever she lies down. Luckily my vet came to the rescue a few hours later with the medicine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Thanks
    hi.millem our dog was diagnoised at chrisrmas with diabetes and we had some.of the.same problems we found getting up a few hours after bedtime and letting our dog out made a big difference once the vet got his insulin sorted its all most stopped only happens now if we dont let him out right before bedtime

hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP, I would go for either a trampoline style bed like this which will let any wet drain through to the floor, or place something underneath to catch it if this is going to be an ongoing issue.

Another option is a standard plastic dog bed with a piece of vetbed, which again will let any wet drain through.

Most dogs will not toilet in a place that is already soiled, so it's possible that all you need to do is put down more pads. I'd try that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Thanks all for your replies.

Psycho, did it take long for your vet to get the dosage right? If you did the blood tests at home, did you find them useful?

Thanks again, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Love the trampoline bed adrenalin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Thanks all for your replies.

Psycho, did it take long for your vet to get the dosage right? If you did the blood tests at home, did you find them useful?

Thanks again, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. Love the trampoline bed adrenalin!

we were lucky and out vet had it sorted within a month, we havnt started home testing yet, we will be learning it in the next few weeks, more for our own piece of mind as he was very ill over the weekend,thanks to a screw up by another vet:mad:

if you have any questions or just want a rant feel free to drop me a pm

• Advertisement
Advertisement