Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back headache

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I am trying to do my tax back myself through etax and its such a pain. Im here on a whv and have paid 2800 tax but when i get to the end its says my estimated tax return is 2400 and it wont let me claim the 300 dollars for work clothing expenses. so im losing out on 700 dollars which is so annoying.

Has anyone any idea what i am doing wrong or would i be better off going to an accountant and getting them to do it for me. :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Assuming you are from the Rebublic and not Northern Ireland, have you claimed the medicare levy? And you don't get an extra 300 back for clothing expenses. The max you can get back is what you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

loriexxx wrote: »
    I am trying to do my tax back myself through etax and its such a pain. Im here on a whv and have paid 2800 tax but when i get to the end its says my estimated tax return is 2400 and it wont let me claim the 300 dollars for work clothing expenses. so im losing out on 700 dollars which is so annoying.

Has anyone any idea what i am doing wrong or would i be better off going to an accountant and getting them to do it for me. :confused::confused::confused:
    Your Maths is wrong for a start. The max you can get back is 2800. Also you get 300 off your pay not 300 tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Are you claiming as a resident for tax purposes?

NoelAPM wrote: »

Are you claiming as a resident for tax purposes?
    Yes, He/she couldn't get 2400 back without being a non-resident

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

when starting a new job and in order to pay lower tax I ticked the box saying I am a resident for tax purposes. From this I've paid a lower rate but I'm wondering when I do the tax return should I say I am a resident for tax purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

It's a Tax Assessment. There is no guarantee you get anything back.

In this case assuming you have completely everything correctly this is what you are entitled to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

manlad wrote: »
    when starting a new job and in order to pay lower tax I ticked the box saying I am a resident for tax purposes. From this I've paid a lower rate but I'm wondering when I do the tax return should I say I am a resident for tax purposes?
    You most likely are a resident for tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sjoyce87

Hey , save me starting a new thread , I will be doing my tax returns very soon , I have been working for close to 5 months. I have paid roughly 6 grand tax . I ticked non resident when I started work. But basically what I want to know is do I say the same or say I am a resident for tax purposes . I know its an assesment but I would like to get as much money back as possible . I am planning on travelling soon . Thanks and sorry for hijacking haha

Asumming you are planning on being here at least 1 month longer you are a resident for tax purposes.

see here
    http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Resident.XR4&go=ok

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Thanks for all the replies. Yes im Australian for tax purposes and it says im exempt from the Medicare levy for 366 days. I just don’t understand why when I paid 2800 tax they are only giving me back 2400!! As for the 300 for clothing expenses I had to buy a uniform for my last job and was told I could claim it back at tax time so im confused as what this meant as I thought I would get the money I paid back! I should probably stop being so tight and go pay an accountant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Thanks for all the replies. Yes im Australian for tax purposes and it says im exempt from the Medicare levy for 366 days. I just don’t understand why when I paid 2800 tax they are only giving me back 2400!! As for the 300 for clothing expenses I had to buy a uniform for my last job and was told I could claim it back at tax time so im confused as what this meant as I thought I would get the money I paid back! I should probably stop being so tight and go pay an accountant

How much you get back really depend on how much you get paid. Australian Tax returns are usually quite straight forward and there is really any need to go to an accountant.

if you tell us:
    How much you earnt, how much you are claiming on expenses, I can give you a rough estimate on what you should be getting back

Why are you expecting to get it all back?
    The 300 you put down for expenses contributes towards the 2400 value. If you didn't have it in there you'd get less.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

I just thought you get all your tax back if its less than 3,000.
    my income was 18583.
    i am claiming 300 in expenses
    I have paid 2801 in tax
    It says: tax on taxable income 1887.45
    tax offset used 1500 (tax offset available 1500)
    tax offsets and credits subtracted 4,301
    your estimated tax refund for 2011/12 is 2413.55

I just want to know if this is right and i am not loosing out on any money as travelling in oz is so expensive and every dollar counts:)

that looks about right, they have changed the low-income tax offset, you now get $1500 low income tax offset as you earned under 30,000k , so your 300 expenses is included in this.

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=lowinc.XR4&go=ok

People often mistakenly think they get all their tax back, this is usually only the case when they earn very little money.

Advertisement