Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older house: Lime mortar?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Good morning!

I need to re-point the footings of the house, it's early 1900's sandstone construction.

How can I tell definitely whether it's concrete or lime mortar? The mortar is very grey, but very crumbly.

Or would it be smarter/safer to just point it up in lime?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ask brendankelly hes around here somewhere

when you say footings, I presume the internal fl is above this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Good morning!

I need to re-point the footings of the house, it's early 1900's sandstone construction.

How can I tell definitely whether it's concrete or lime mortar? The mortar is very grey, but very crumbly.

Or would it be smarter/safer to just point it up in lime?

Thanks all!
    Yes it is lime mortar, and yes the new pointing should most definitely be a lime mortar.
    Pointing with sand & cement in a case like this causes all sorts of serious problems, later.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Yes, I was aware of the concrete being too strong for the older property/flexibility and breath-ability issues and all.

Oh, and yes, the internal floor level is above the footings, and there are air bricks.

Right, better get a bucket of lime putty and leave it to mature for the job.

Thank you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Much better to get a bag or two of hydraulic lime mortar (NHL 2.5) from one of the suppliers below.
    Mix it at around 3 parts sand to one part mortar, add water until it's the consistency of melting cheese, and away you go.

It's wonderful stuff to work with.

See here
    &
    here

Advertisement