Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps permissions???

Options
  • 01-07-2012 10:05am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am new to a smart phone and enjoying having one. BUT, I was going to install a QR reader and decided to read the permissions, woahhhhhhh. Have any of you read these permissions. I might as well leave my phone in a public place for everyone to browse through its contents and contacts and even to take a random photo whenever they like. DONT send or read messages while taking a pee, unless you have something to be really proud of:)

My daughter tells me that I am too paranoid for today's smart phones (she even added society) and there is no such thing as privacy any more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=la.droid.qr&hl=en
    Have a look at the permissions (they are a short read) on the above site and let me know what you think please.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

A lot of the permissions are so they can interact with that part of the device software, not so they can steal your info.

A QR code is a barcode standard, it can contain all sorts of information for creating different things like text messages etc.. but needs permission to be able to tell Android what type of information it is offering so that it can find the relevant app(s) to handle it and offer the choice of which one to use if multiple apps are found.

By the way, Google Goggles scans QR codes too and offers other functionality and Barcode Scanner is completely open source and can do pretty much everything this app can do but allows anyone to inspect the code for shenanigans if you are paranoid that they want to steal your info.

Really in order to know if an app has unneeded permissions, you have to weigh up what features it offers against the permissions required to see if they seem reasonable. Probably hard to do for an average user but you can always install an anti-virus in case your worried like Avast but it should be noted an anti-virus software isn't an anti-spyware software in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think they're pretty standard permissions when you think about it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I think they're pretty standard permissions when you think about it.

It is a shame that these sort of privacy invasions have become standard. As Thebman said a lot of them are necessary, but surly the ability to access your contacts, turn on and take a photo surreptitiously etc. , is beyond what is necessary.

Wearb wrote: »
    It is a shame that these sort of privacy invasions have become standard. As Thebman said a lot of them are necessary, but surly the ability to access your contacts, turn on and take a photo surreptitiously etc. , is beyond what is necessary.

It's not really permission for the app to go off an do stuff without your knowledge, it's you giving it permission to carry out tasks on your behalf.
    ABOUT PERMISSIONS
    • INTERNET: QR Droid lets you decode from a QR code in Internet, given its URL
    • ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: You can set QR Droid to show preview of webpages only while using WiFi, because that feature can use a lot of data
    • WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: You can save generated QR code in your SD card
    • CAMERA: To scan codes from camera. QR Droid cannot access your camera while you're not using the app
    • FLASHLIGHT: QR Droid lets you turn your camera flashlight on to improve light conditions
    • INSTALL_SHORTCUT: QR Droid lets you create shortcuts to your most-used features, to access them with a single tap!
    • READ_CONTACTS: QR Droid lists your contacts so you can select one and share their information, without typing anything! Without this permission, you'd need to write everything, every time. Absolutely no information leaves your device, only you can see your Contacts
    • READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS: QR Droid lists your Browser's Bookmarks, to share them without typing anything. Absolutely no information leaves your device, only you can see your Bookmarks

If you want to share contact information in the form of a QR code this app will need your permission to view your contacts.

It's not really permission for the app to go off an do stuff without your knowledge, it's you giving it permission to carry out tasks on your behalf.

If you want to share contact information in the form of a QR code this app will need your permission to view your contacts.

Thanks for that detailed reply. It has gone some way to calm my fears about this new technology.

• Advertisement

I didn't compose all of that reply, the quoted bit is a direct copy and paste from the app page on Google Play. :D

I didn't compose all of that reply, the quoted bit is a direct copy and paste from the app page on Google Play. :D

You knew where to go to find that info and share it with me and anyone who will view this thread. Perhaps you will help to reform other reluctant newbies.

Advertisement