Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey Ferguson 188 Lift and PTO Problem

Options
  • 01-07-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have a MF 188 that was refurbished in 1984 with the Massey Roc program see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoKfJ1jg_0 . It is an 16 speed (3 lever) with an independent PTO .
    The PTO brake will not stop the PTO when disengaged.
    The problem I am having is the lift (3 point linkage) will not lift until the PTO is turning. The PTO keeps stopping turning say every 10 turns and stops for a few seconds and starts again.
    Any idea whats up? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭John J. Lyons

sounds like pressure to the pack, did you get a pressure check done on the hydraulics

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hunt

sounds like pressure to the pack, did you get a pressure check done on the hydraulics

Thanks for the reply.

Garage man picking it up today and he said he will be doing the pressure checks.
    He was saying the worst case would be the independent PTO gear teeth may be wore out and need replacing which helps drives the pressure to the lift. The best case would be a valves stuck. If he is going to take the lift cover off I will ask him to replace the filter.
    I will get back to ye how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Hunt wrote: »
    I have a MF 188 that was refurbished in 1984 with the Massey Roc program see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoKfJ1jg_0 . It is an 8 speed with an independent PTO .
    The PTO brake will not stop the PTO when disengaged.
    The problem I am having is the lift (3 point linkage) will not lift until the PTO is turning. The PTO keeps stopping turning say every 10 turns and stops for a few seconds and starts again.
    Any idea whats up? Thanks

Thanks for link Hunt and good luck with hydraulic issue. Sure it can be sorted and god advice on here. Never heard of ROC programme before but I do recall Ruanes Car & Tractor in Athenry. Main MF dealers for years and did thousands of rebuilds too and sold all over Ireland & across pond no doubt. Not sure why they closed down in the late 80's .
    Claude Lyons was another guy over Brierfield way.
    Good memories!

Thanks for link Hunt and good luck with hydraulic issue. Sure it can be sorted and god advice on here. Never heard of ROC programme before but I do recall Ruanes Car & Tractor in Athenry. Main MF dealers for years and did thousands of rebuilds too and sold all over Ireland & across pond no doubt. Not sure why they closed down in the late 80's .
    Claude Lyons was another guy over Brierfield way.
    Good memories!

Cheers and Thanks for the info Man of Aran. It is nice to know the history of MF in the area. I picked up the 188 in Tyrone about 6 months ago, I didn’t put Irish plates on it yet because I don’t really want to part with the Tax Book because of the Roc details on it and I won’t be doing road work. Since I got it I did the power steering and a few small bits to it. It was working a dream until this weekend when the lift started playing up. It turns out the problem with the hydraulics was the PTO clutch was gone, should know for sure today when it is back together “Fingers crossed”.

I would love to get a full breakdown of what was done to it when MF rebuilt it. I have the ROC serial number, I wonder if I contacted MF would they be able to give me a print out?
    The man I bought it off said it was his father’s tractor and his father used to tell him that a lot of 290 parts went into it when it was rebuilt. To look at it you would say it has a 290 backend i.e. Duncan cab, 3 lever gear box

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

How did you get along with the PTI clutch, Hunt? Hope its sorted now.

Dont know if MF still have their place in Coventry for checking any records & archives on the ROC.
    There appear to be many Vintage Machinery Clubs and such in Ireland and UK so sure other's here may advise on how & where to check.

best of luck

• Advertisement

How did you get along with the PTI clutch, Hunt? Hope its sorted now.

Dont know if MF still have their place in Coventry for checking any records & archives on the ROC.
    There appear to be many Vintage Machinery Clubs and such in Ireland and UK so sure other's here may advise on how & where to check.

best of luck

Sorry just after seeing post. New clutch sorted the problem working a dream since.
    Thanks for info must see if MF in Coventry are still opened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/14613977
    Massey Ferguson ROC 188 (Very unique). Vintage

Advertisement