Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call this type of screen error?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I have a HD5650 on a laptop, I use AMD GPU clock tool to overclock it and have used it successfully for over a year.

Since the latest Catalyst Control Centre update however, any time I restore the default clocks (but only after increasing them) I get strange black horizontal line flickering across the screen when I move a window, open or close one, etc.

What is that called?

What could the problem be?

It only happens as I said when I restore default clocks after running the clock tool, the standard clocks are fine from start-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd call it a glitch but with there being a workaround to it it hardly seems worth the hassle of trying to get an RMA done. Especially if you are out of warranty. Aside from that your warranty would probably tell you overclocking is a void.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I don't know what an rma is?

Any way, I rolled back the drivers and all works as it should have again, it must have been an issue with the CCC update, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,407 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Return to Manufacturer Authorization.

Not the first weird driver issue I've noticed. After one driver update last fall my screen would flicker black momentarily while it adjusted brightness levels. Very noticeable when shutting down windows as it fades the whole screen to black gradually. A later update seemed to correct the issue.

I am just clicking the 'restore default clocks' setting in AMD GPU clock tool, which normally restored the variable 100-450 clock speeds depending on load. I guess the newest driver isn't compatible with the clock tool.

Just tried the latest 12.6 CCC and this is still an issue with GPU Clock Tool for the HD 5650.

I get weird horizontal line screen artifacts after restoring my default clocks after using the clock tool, this is only an issue post 12.1 in CCC.

I did a system restore, again, to undo the damage. Is there a newer version of this tool or an alternative that would be updated on a regular basis? I do want to be able to update my video driver now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The clock tool caused some strangeness on my rig too, decided to just stick with Afterburner.

Advertisement