Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Team Talk and Gossip 2013/14

• 01-07-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

So new thread for a new(Footballing) year, a few things should happen this week.

New kit is on sale from the 13th with a special launch on the 14th.

Sigurdsson is expected to sign, with Boas and Vertoghen this week.

New Investor news is thought to be announced this week and stadium work to start at the end of the month. - This is what most people believe is the news that will blow our socks off from Alan Brazil.

A lot of people expecting Ledly to retire this month and take a position as a coach sad sad news. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Glad that Ledley is going to retire but be retained by the club. We need a settled back line next season and Ledley coming in and out of the team was very disruptive. It made sense when he was still turning in World Class performances but his form dipped drastically at the end of last season.

Hopefully Vert will sign and they can sort out his issues with Ajax. Think him and Kaboul could be an excellent pairing and suited to AVB's type of game.

Not sure about the Sigurdsson signing. Good player who will only improve but he plays in the same position as VDV. He is defo not a Modric replacement so a bit confused as to why he would pick us over pool where he knows Rodgers and would have a better chance of starting. Think we are a more attractive proposition overall than Pool at the moment due to London, recent form etc but would he rather be a bit part player?

Really hope we tie down Adebayor soon. We then need to focus on getting two new strikers and try and offload Defoe somewhere.

The most difficult task we have this summer is going to be replacing Modric. We need to buy someone prior to selling him or we are just going to get fleeced as clubs will know we are sitting on a pot of cash. Perfect world we could get Sahin as part of the deal when selling to Madrid. Otherwise Moutinhio could be a good option. He had lots of positive things to say about AVB recently so maybe he could be persuaded. He will cost us the majority of the Modric money though and isnt as good but is about the best we could do unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat.

The stadium work should be starting soon and our training complex will be open in the next month so there are exciting times ahead. In 2 years we will be a very attractive proposition if AVB can keep us in and around the CL places. The stadium should finally allow us to move up a level where wages are concerned and make it easier for us to keep players like Modric.

Lots of rumours flying around about a takeover .. from Kuwaitis to AEG. Whatever happens I hope Levy stays in charge. You would think that the main benefit of a takeover is that the new owners will fund the stadium. I think FFP allows for new stadium costs. From a player and wages perspective I dont think it is going to make any difference as we will have to align our spending to our income or risk getting in trouble with Platini re FFP.

Exciting times ahead though.. just hope we get some positive news this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I see Moutinho as more of a Parker type player than a Modric. An improvement on Parker, perhaps...

greendom wrote: »
    I see Moutinho as more of a Parker type player than a Modric. An improvement on Parker, perhaps...

He is much more creative than Parker... he has a good engine like Parker but is always looking for the ball and trying to use it productively. Parker is very much a sideways / backwards passer... his game is all about breaking up the other teams rhythm whereas Moutinhio tends to dictate the rhythm of his own team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Playboy wrote: »
    Glad that Ledley is going to retire but be retained by the club. We need a settled back line next season and Ledley coming in and out of the team was very disruptive. It made sense when he was still turning in World Class performances but his form dipped drastically at the end of last season.

Hopefully Vert will sign and they can sort out his issues with Ajax. Think him and Kaboul could be an excellent pairing and suited to AVB's type of game.

Not sure about the Sigurdsson signing. Good player who will only improve but he plays in the same position as VDV. He is defo not a Modric replacement so a bit confused as to why he would pick us over pool where he knows Rodgers and would have a better chance of starting. Think we are a more attractive proposition overall than Pool at the moment due to London, recent form etc but would he rather be a bit part player?

Really hope we tie down Adebayor soon. We then need to focus on getting two new strikers and try and offload Defoe somewhere.

The most difficult task we have this summer is going to be replacing Modric. We need to buy someone prior to selling him or we are just going to get fleeced as clubs will know we are sitting on a pot of cash. Perfect world we could get Sahin as part of the deal when selling to Madrid. Otherwise Moutinhio could be a good option. He had lots of positive things to say about AVB recently so maybe he could be persuaded. He will cost us the majority of the Modric money though and isnt as good but is about the best we could do unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat.

The stadium work should be starting soon and our training complex will be open in the next month so there are exciting times ahead. In 2 years we will be a very attractive proposition if AVB can keep us in and around the CL places. The stadium should finally allow us to move up a level where wages are concerned and make it easier for us to keep players like Modric.

Lots of rumours flying around about a takeover .. from Kuwaitis to AEG. Whatever happens I hope Levy stays in charge. You would think that the main benefit of a takeover is that the new owners will fund the stadium. I think FFP allows for new stadium costs. From a player and wages perspective I dont think it is going to make any difference as we will have to align our spending to our income or risk getting in trouble with Platini re FFP.

Exciting times ahead though.. just hope we get some positive news this week!

Sig can capably play as a deeper CM but he's wasted there when he is much better used higher up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Supposedly had an 11m bid accepted for Oscar (Internacional) who would be a direct replacement for Modric but he's only 20 so very young and like Sandro would probably need six months to bed in.

Realisticly Sandro should be taking Parkers spot this season the only thing Parker has over Sandro is that he's a bit of a leader something we are short on, but Sandro is younger Faster and not afraid to go forward with the ball.
    He's brilliant at driving forward while in possession.

• Advertisement

Supposedly had an 11m bid accepted for Oscar (Internacional) who would be a direct replacement for Modric but he's only 20 so very young and like Sandro would probably need six months to bed in.

Realisticly Sandro should be taking Parkers spot this season the only thing Parker has over Sandro is that he's a bit of a leader something we are short on, but Sandro is younger Faster and not afraid to go forward with the ball.
    He's brilliant at driving forward while in possession.

Thought Oscar was an AM like VDV ... certainly not a deep lying playmaker like Modric from what I have seen of him. Hugely talented and young though so maybe could be coached into the role.

ANDRE VILLAS-BOAS will be a huge success as Tottenham manager.

That is the verdict of Porto and Portugal star Joao Moutinho, tipped to be AVB’s first White Hart Lane signing.
    He said: “AVB is one of the best coaches I’ve worked with. I’d work with him again tomorrow.
    “I don’t really know what happened at Chelsea — but when you employ a new coach you have to give him time.”
    Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea in March, just eight months into a three-year contract.
    He is set to be named as Harry Redknapp’s Tottenham successor within the next 48 hours.
    Moutinho, 25, won the Europa League under AVB at Porto and believes he will be far stronger for his traumatic experience at Stamford Bridge.
    He said: “You can’t always base his progress on results. If players are obstructive it makes the job very difficult.
    “Perhaps in the end he was judged more on immediate results than he was on his long-term vision.
    “All I do know is he did a fantastic job at Porto.
    “He didn’t win the league title and the Europa League by chance.
    “But then he had a set of players who bought into his ideas and were enthusiastic and supportive.
    “He was very much like Pep Guardiola was at Barcelona. He loved to deploy systems to bring the best out of the players.
    “I remember talking to him about England when he was poised to leave.
    “He was so enthusiastic, he was so determined to make a success of it.
    “AVB isn’t the type to want revenge, his only motivation is to prove to people that he can be a success in England.”
    Moutinho is shocked that AVB, 34, appeared to have so many problems with players at Chelsea.
    He added: “I didn’t see his age as a problem. At Porto it brought him closer to the players. The players loved him.”
    Moutinho also claims that AVB was a lot calmer than Jose Mourinho.
    He added: “They both demand discipline but Mourinho was a lot harder when things went badly.”
    The midfielder, who played in Portugal’s Euro 2012 semi-final defeat to Spain, is valued at around £25million by Porto.
    Manchester United are ready to battle Spurs for his signature

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4403968/Andre-Villas-Boas-will-be-a-huge-Spurs-hit-says-Joao-Moutinho.html

Talksport continuing the line tonight with Graham Roberts that a major Arab investment is nearly complete.

I reckon that's the stadium funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Talksport continuing the line tonight with Graham Roberts that a major Arab investment is nearly complete.

Is Joe Lewis selling up so?

amiable wrote: »

Is Joe Lewis selling up so?

Lots of smoke coming out of the club and no ones what is really going on. Some people say AEG, some say Kutwaits and others say Joe is going to invest his own cash. We should find out in the next week what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Surely a deal with a manager is done, or almost done at this stage?

BAE isn't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Surely a deal with a manager is done, or almost done at this stage?

BAE isn't impressed.

Jaysus that BAE likes to LOL :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

André Villas Boas is officially the Tottenham Hotspur manager. Fcukin' delighted.

At long last.... the worst kept secret in football is revealed. Head Coach though so that means there must be a DoF appointment coming too... hope its not Sherwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

THFC wrote: »
    André Villas Boas is officially the Tottenham Hotspur manager. Fcukin' delighted.

will he get time do you think?

when will he come under pressure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

THFC wrote: »

B0ll0cks

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Being a Spurs supporter must be such a wild ride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

At long last.... the worst kept secret in football is revealed. Head Coach though so that means there must be a DoF appointment coming too... hope its not Sherwood

From what I have seen from his time at Chelsea this guy aint no great shakes.One good season at the biggest club in Portugal does not make a fantastic manager imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Tottenham really are a silly club. They've been failing to live up to their own often deluded high expectations for years, and then when they finally get a manager in Redknapp who succeeded in getting them to perform to their capabilities, they sack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes only 34, the guy is destined for great things, sadly it wasnt with us.

Part of me wants him to be a failure at Spurs but I still think he'll bring trophies to Spurs soon.

• Advertisement

LimGal wrote: »
    From what I have seen from his time at Chelsea this guy aint no great shakes.One good season at the biggest club in Portugal does not make a fantastic manager imo.

Prefer him to Rodgers ;) But... I do think he is a risk. I think the fact that he has been made head coach says a lot. There will be a Director of Football appointed to take some of the pressure off of him. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes at Chelsea but I do think Spurs is more suited to him in terms of player ages and type

Prefer him to Rodgers ;) But... I do think he is a risk. I think the fact that he has been made head coach says a lot. There will be a Director of Football appointed to take some of the pressure off of him. Hopefully he has learned from his mistakes at Chelsea but I do think Spurs is more suited to him in terms of player ages and type

Buck Rodgers any day over AVB;)

Buck Rodgers any day over AVB;)

I see a little wager as to our respective league positions next season coming on!

I see a little wager as to our respective league positions next season coming on!

1000 euro Liverpool finish higher than Spurs next season.

No bullsh*t.

You game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No bullsh*t.

You game?
    Are you going to escrow the money? Reason I ask is if he is not interested I might well be.

No bullsh*t.

You game?

Deal

Deal

It will be like taking candy from a sh*tty-arsed baby.

In fairness the amount of people that said that last season.

In fairness the amount of people that said that last season.

Last season is last season in fairness.

• Advertisement

Well that has the alarm bells ringing straight away. Whoever heard of a manager suited to players of a certain age and type ?

Well that has the alarm bells ringing straight away. Whoever heard of a manager suited to players of a certain age and type ?
    I think he just means the players don't have the power or the ego's of the Chelsea senior staff. The fact that the players are younger also means they are more likely to listen to a younger manager.

I think he just means the players don't have the power or the ego's of the Chelsea senior staff. The fact that the players are younger also means they are more likely to listen to a younger manager.

All these conditions around him lead me to believe that just like with Chelsea, he is not experienced enough to take on a job like Spurs. The director of football would need to have a much larger input on team affairs than would normally be expected for it to be a success.

Deal

Really looking forward to seeing Carroll Henderson, Downing, Spearing and Co playing tiki taka football. Got fail written all over it. Rodgers will need to do some major surgery on the Liverpool squad if he wants them playing his way.

In my opinion Spurs have the better team at the moment... Both managers are a risk but AVB at least has won something (UEFA cup). Think I have the advantage on our wager... Rodgers will have to be a storming success and AVB a failure for Liverpool to turn around the 17pt defecit between the clubs last season.

When you go to a club where the players have more or less won it all for a number of years and you are a very young manager who is the same age as some of the players then it is a difficult task. Think AVB has loads of potential but does need to work on his man management and be more pragmatic with the players at his disposal. Hopefully he is young enough to learn from his mistakes but only time will tell!

When you go to a club where the players have more or less won it all for a number of years and you are a very young manager who is the same age as some of the players then it is a difficult task. Think AVB has loads of potential but does need to work on his man management and be more pragmatic with the players at his disposal. Hopefully he is young enough to learn from his mistakes but only time will tell!

I suppose the example Spurs' fans will cling to is Brian Clough's 40 day stint with Leeds. As you say, time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Hi guys first time poster in you're forum I've just popped in to see what the reaction to AVB's appointment is. As a Chelsea fan who was never in favour of our inabilaty to stick by our managers I have to say when AVB got the bullet I was quite happy, I do think that you're current squad would be more suitable for hin than our's was but I still see him as more a rough diamond than the finished article.
    Big gamble for you guys imo and I hope that it doesn't come off for yas:D because you's were pretty unlucky last year to be fair.

We took the gamble on him last year and it cost us 15 million to release him at least you's get him for free,
    best of luck next season.

Rumours of Jermaine Defoe going to Reading

Rumours of Jermaine Defoe going to Reading
    Leave us with Harry Kane and Cameron Lancaster up front :eek:.

To be honest if he moves and we get some good strikers in I wouldn't be to bothered, he's good but he couldn't play our system last year don't know if he would fit in with AVB's Tactics either.

Leave us with Harry Kane and Cameron Lancaster up front :eek:.

To be honest if he moves and we get some good strikers in I wouldn't be to bothered, he's good but he couldn't play our system last year don't know if he would fit in with AVB's Tactics either.

He's going to want to bring in a couple of strikers anyway.
    Do you think he'll try sign Adebayor?

He's going to want to bring in a couple of strikers anyway.
    Do you think he'll try sign Adebayor?
    I'm sure he'd love to question is can we afford his wages?

Anyway he's only the head coach he works with Sherwood and Levy on the transfers, intrestingly Duncan Castles says he's actually been signed since mid July and has been working with Levy on transfers since!

• Advertisement

I'm sure he'd love to question is can we afford his wages?

Anyway he's only the head coach he works with Sherwood and Levy on the transfers, intrestingly Duncan Castles says he's actually been signed since mid June and has been working with Levy on transfers since!

;)

Sigurdsson to be announced tomorrow according to SSN

SlickRic wrote: »
    will he get time do you think?

when will he come under pressure?
    He will be given time, provided he keeps us in the top 6, anything below that and the crowd will turn on him and Levy. Harry was loved in some parts, and he was the only manager in recent history that had us consistently competing for a spot in the top 4. With Modric leaving (who fwiw, is so underrated by so many Spurs fans) that will obviously make it more difficult for AVB, likewise with Adebayor returning to City. 2 huge losses that will have to be replaced. If they aren't replaced he will undoubtedly face a massive challenge.
    I can't answer the second question yet, we'll have to see how much he spends this summer.

Rumours of
    Jermaine Defoe going to Reading

Would be pleased with that. Means we must be looking at bringing in at least 2-3 strikers then

Would be pleased with that. Means we must be looking at bringing in at least 2-3 strikers then
    Fully agree, I said it too when when Harry was sacked, Levy is far too shrewd a man not to have had someone lined up to replace him, and it'll be the same when/if Defoe leaves. I heard a few weeks back that Loic Rémy will be joining soon, but he doesn't fill me with confidence.

Really looking forward to seeing Carroll Henderson, Downing, Spearing and Co playing tiki taka football. Got fail written all over it. Rodgers will need to do some major surgery on the Liverpool squad if he wants them playing his way.

In my opinion Spurs have the better team at the moment... Both managers are a risk but AVB at least has won something (UEFA cup). Think I have the advantage on our wager... Rodgers will have to be a storming success and AVB a failure for Liverpool to turn around the 17pt defecit between the clubs last season.

This year is our year;)

Sig offically signs for Spurs! Good news! Spurs 1 - 0 Liverpool

Sig offically signs for Spurs! Good news! Spurs 1 - 0 Liverpool

We decided we didnt need Sig as Aqualini is back at the club now;)

Until he leaves again next month

Amazing that Benitez paid so much for him! Have Milan not taken up their option to buy him then? Tbh he ie much more a Rodgers type of player than a lot of players in your squad. Maybe he can get the best out of him... there is a good player in there somewhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement