Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Book That Can't Wait - Eterna Cadencia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

A book where the ink fades away after 2 months. Such a stupid idea it's hard to believe its real.
    ]

It is a gimmick but it gets your attention and that is the aim. I wouldn't describe anything that gets people reading and talking about books and authors as stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I was going to buy a book yesterday, but it was printed in this old fashioned ink that can be legible for up to hundreds of years. That didn't suit me at all, so I left it behind me.
    I really wanted that new modern ink that disappears a few months after opening it. I mean, nothing ever comes up in my life that would stop me reading a book straight away. I never re-read books and wouldn't even dream of loaning a book I enjoyed to a friend.

Coming to a TV3 documentary near you in 2013 - "The Book That Can't Wait: What Were They Thinking"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They could call it "The Notepad that CAN wait".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

echo beach wrote: »
    It is a gimmick but it gets your attention and that is the aim. I wouldn't describe anything that gets people reading and talking about books and authors as stupid.
    I don't like gimmicks but this is particularly stupid. You can't re-read the book, it's a waste of paper, the authors or the publishers don't make any extra money than if a normal copy of the book was bought. I just don't see any extra benefit beyond the initial PR gained by the novelty factor of the gimmick.

It's good to see new methods of promoting books but there are better ways to get people's attention than this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

They could call it "The Notepad that CAN wait".

Or "The Consumer With No Brain".
    Who in their right mind would want to allow publishers to get away with selling books with expiry dates, especially as book sales in the near future will be almost entirely digital? This a quite a dangerous precedent, IMO.
    Fortunately, I can't see any way this will catch on. There is nothing in it for the consumer after the initial magic trick has been seen. Literally nothing, for those who have been sidetracked from a book and come back to find that their purchase is now nothing but a paperweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Huh! I wouldn't want to read a book like that, embarrassing to say but I've have been guilty of leaving a book back and picking up 6 months later :)

In other news.. will they be making a Kindle version :p

Advertisement