Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back garden wet

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

How can I fix a back garden cheap that does not dry up at all. Its wet all the time. Its so soft the ground the dog hates going out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Sounds like you should think of making a bog garden and planting water/damp loving plants.

If you want to drain then as long as you have somewhere to drain the water to (soakaways wont do it) then its just a matter of drainage pipes in the ground surrounded by drainage stones.

some advice here:

http://www.garden-design-it-yourself.com/bog-garden.html

You could always make a raised area for the dog, but being in the wat a lot wont do its paws any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

There is no where for the water to drain off. The ground behide the wall is higher and I can't drain it into the neighbours gardens

Then you are fighting an uphill battle to drain it, unless you put in drains, dig a sump and continuously (for ever) pump the water into the rainwater system.

Bog garden it is then with pond and rubber goloshes for the dog.

Oldtree wrote: »
    Then you are fighting an uphill battle to drain it, unless you put in drains, dig a sump and continuously (for ever) pump the water into the rainwater system.

Bog garden it is then with pond and rubber goloshes for the dog.

It was very dry when we had the nice weather a month or so back. Is there anything else I can do than a bog garden

a few pictures would help suggestions. are you at the bottom of a hill and does the water drains into you? how long did the ground stay dry for?

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    a few pictures would help suggestions. are you at the bottom of a hill and does the water drains into you? how long did the ground stay dry for?

It was dry while the sun was and good heat out.

Here is some pictures.

2012-09-04-209.jpg

aLL THE TIME WET in this area right outside the back door.
    2012-09-04-210.jpg

2012-09-04-211.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi cena ,have a look at this thread on drainage.jack,,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi cena ,have a look at this thread on drainage.jack,,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054939061

That guy did a nice job on his garden. Where only renting the house so I really don't what to do a big job like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What is it you want to use the garden for? If you want to grow things, like veg or decorative plants, then some pots, or raised beds would suit.

If it is a bit of grass and somewhere for the dog to hang out... Installing drains is probably your only route. You could ask the landlord for some financial input, it would improve his/her garden. No harm in asking, even if they say no.

IT is mainly for the dog.

How much does the drain pipe cost. Where would I drain the water to if I go down that path

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Are you on a long term lease or what??
    Considering draining a garden on a rented property is madness.. its expensive back-breaking work that most people who own their garden seem to avoid..
    Yes ask the landlord if there is anything he'll do about it but I'd be keeping my hand and my money in my pocket if I were a tenant..

Get some nice pots and plant them up, half barrels can be used for veg and small fruit trees... Then you can bring them if you move and if you ever get your own gaff you can plant them permanently..

As for the dog ??
    As long as he has a good kennell, fresh water and fenced I'd be leaving him to get on with it... How any landlord allows pets in a house is byond me !

**Reading back on that it seems blunt, but what your asking just doesn't make any sense**

bbam wrote: »
    Are you on a long term lease or what??
    Considering draining a garden on a rented property is madness.. its expensive back-breaking work that most people who own their garden seem to avoid..
    Yes ask the landlord if there is anything he'll do about it but I'd be keeping my hand and my money in my pocket if I were a tenant..

Get some nice pots and plant them up, half barrels can be used for veg and small fruit trees... Then you can bring them if you move and if you ever get your own gaff you can plant them permanently..

As for the dog ??
    As long as he has a good kennell, fresh water and fenced I'd be leaving him to get on with it... How any landlord allows pets in a house is byond me !

**Reading back on that it seems blunt, but what your asking just doesn't make any sense**

What is wrong with letting a pet into the house. You wouldn't like to be left outside in the cold all the time.

The dog has a shed all to himself. I brought it just for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

cena wrote: »
    What is wrong with letting a pet into the house. You wouldn't like to be left outside in the cold all the time.

The dog has a shed all to himself. I brought it just for him

Pets (bar fish) make houses smell...
    You might think they don't and your house doesn't smell of pets but ANY house with cats or dogs smell !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

smelly house dwellers/pet owners ftw :D

Advertisement