Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Key for Apartment Building

Options
  • 01-07-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi - looking for some suggestions regarding the following:

I'm planning to rent out my apartment and we currently have two sets of keys -both of which contain the keys to the door of the apartment itself and then another two keys which give access to the front door of the apartment building.

These two keys aren't your standard keys and cannot be copied. If you lose one of them, you have to go the management company and pay at least €100 to get a new one.

Just wondering when I rent my apartment, will I have to pay for a new key for me and give my tenants both existing keys? Or could I just give them one key and keep the other key myself? I'm assuming I can't give them both without ensuring that I have an access key for the building door - if they lost them or did a runner, I'd have no way to access the building.

Naturally I'd be getting another set of keys cut for the door into the apartment. It's just the special key for the door into the apartment building, that I'm querying.

Anyone else been in this situation? What did you do? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If you are renting the apartment to a single tenant why would you give them two sets of keys? If it's more than one tenant then I can see why you would need another set - pay the money and write it off against tax.

Those keys have a special card that they are cut from and the agent would hold that for security purposes. The high fee deters a large number of copies being made which would reduce security in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

athtrasna wrote: »
    If you are renting the apartment to a single tenant why would you give them two sets of keys? If it's more than one tenant then I can see why you would need another set - pay the money and write it off against tax.

Those keys have a special card that they are cut from and the agent would hold that for security purposes. The high fee deters a large number of copies being made which would reduce security in the building.

Thanks Athtrasna, that's what I had thought but just wanted to get some opinions from others.

I would only be renting to one tenant - I suppose I was thinking along the lines of a couple - if there are only one set of keys, then they would need to coordinate who's going to be home first etc, otherwise the other person would have no access to the apartment.

Currently both myself and my husband have a set each so this isn't an issue for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

If you are renting to a couple then yes it would be the norm to give 2 sets of keys I would think. However if one the tenants lost the key, it would be their responsibility to pay for a replacement.

As regards writing it off against tax, to be very picky about it, pre-letting expenses aren't allowed to be offset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

dearg lady wrote: »
    As regards writing it off against tax, to be very picky about it, pre-letting expenses aren't allowed to be offset.

That is correct but it depends on when you get the key cut. If for example you let to a couple, one of them signs the lease, you give them one set of keys and after a few weeks they seek another set then it would be perfectly legal to add that as a deductible from your tax return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

athtrasna wrote: »
    That is correct but it depends on when you get the key cut. If for example you let to a couple, one of them signs the lease, you give them one set of keys and after a few weeks they seek another set then it would be perfectly legal to add that as a deductible from your tax return.

yeah, I know, just whatever way I tried to word it earlier sounded dodgy, well put! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Does anyone else in the complex have a key that you could use in an emergency; ie a friendly neighbour or maintenance person? In other words, is it absolutely necessary for you to have a copy of the key.

If you are worried about the expense then you could explain the situation to the tenants and tell them that if they want a second key cut then they will have to give you a €100 deposit for it which you will return when you get the key back. Ive seen similar tried with carpark key fobs. Im not sure how many tenants would be happy with such an arrangement though.

Or you could just bite the bullet and get a third key cut for yourself to have. Its not a huge money in the grand scheme of things and would probably be worth it for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

djimi wrote: »
    Does anyone else in the complex have a key that you could use in an emergency; ie a friendly neighbour or maintenance person? In other words, is it absolutely necessary for you to have a copy of the key.

If you are worried about the expense then you could explain the situation to the tenants and tell them that if they want a second key cut then they will have to give you a €100 deposit for it which you will return when you get the key back. Ive seen similar tried with carpark key fobs. Im not sure how many tenants would be happy with such an arrangement though.

Or you could just bite the bullet and get a third key cut for yourself to have. Its not a huge money in the grand scheme of things and would probably be worth it for piece of mind.

Thanks for our feedback and thanks to everyone else as well.

There is an underground carpark with a code which the tenants will be given, as well as another code to get from the carpark into the main building, so there is another means to access the main building, without the special key.

I think I will give two sets of keys for the apartment but only one special key for the main building door, however if they want an extra special key cut - I will ask them for a €100 deposit as per your suggestion.

I think that seems to be fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they loose one key, they either cough up €100 to get the key replaced, or it gets taken from their deposit, as loosing something is "damage" IMO.

I'd agree with djimi in regards to getting one cut for yourself, in case you ever have to call over to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

If there's two people in the apt you have to give both a set of each keys.
    I've never come across a rental where i seen otherwise.

if i was asked for another 100 euro to just get a key to the building after paying a months rent/months deposit up front i would be less than impressed.

Getting a copy of the key for yourself is your problem, not the tenants.

Advertisement