Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incredible Scenes in Argentina (Must Watch!)

• 01-07-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭

Thought this deserved a thread, at least if only for others to see it.

As anyone who was watching what unfolded on the final day of the Premier League season knowns, football can deliver some of the most sensationally dramatic moments imaginable. It happened again yesterday.

Chacarita Juniors were playing Nueva Chicago in the 2nd leg of the Prim B Nacional/Prim B Metro relegation/promotion playoff. How that works is, Chacarita finished bottom of the Nacional while Nueva finished 4th in the Metro - the division below the Nacional. They then have a playoff - if Chacarita win, they get to stay in the Nacional, if Nueva win, they get promoted and Chacarita go down. Silly system, but this is the last season it will work like that thankfully.

Anyway, Nueva won the first leg 1-0. The second leg was yesterday, and with 6 minutes to go, it was still 0-0. I don't want to spoil it because it's an amazing finish and you have to watch it - the emotion of it all is so intense.

FYI, Nueva (the team from the lower division chasing promotion and leading 1-0 from the first leg) are in black and green. Chacarita, trying to avoid relegation, are in white with red trim.

Bit of a spoiler, the consequence of what happens at the end:
    If Toledo scores the penalty for Chacarita, they stay up. If he misses, they go down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Thought this deserved a thread, at least if only for others to see it.

As anyone who was watching what unfolded on the final day of the Premier League season knowns, football can deliver some of the most sensationally dramatic moments imaginable. It happened again yesterday.

Chacarita Juniors were playing Nueva Chicago in the 2nd leg of the Prim B Nacional/Prim B Metro relegation/promotion playoff. How that works is, Chacarita finished bottom of the Nacional while Nueva finished 4th in the Metro - the division below the Nacional. They then have a playoff - if Chacarita win, they get to stay in the Nacional, if Nueva win, they get promoted and Chacarita go down. Silly system, but this is the last season it will work like that thankfully.

Anyway, Nueva won the first leg 1-0. The second leg was yesterday, and with 6 minutes to go, it was still 0-0. I don't want to spoil it because it's an amazing finish and you have to watch it - the emotion of it all is so intense.

FYI, Nueva (the team from the lower division chasing promotion and leading 1-0 from the first leg) are in black and green. Chacarita, trying to avoid relegation, are in white with red trim.

Bit of a spoiler, the consequence of what happens at the end:
    If Toledo scores the penalty for Chacarita, they stay up. If he misses, they go down.

wow!! what an amazing end to the game....thanks for posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Guessing the manager of Chacarita had a heart attack at FT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I got a wave of emotion watching it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Was fully expecting a full scale on pitch free for all after reading thread title, good vid though. Some pressure on the pen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

I can't see the video as I'm in work - looking forward to that when I get home. I'm quite sure though that there was a similar incident with regard to Sheffield United a good number of years ago.

From memory, Sheffield United had to win their last game at home to avoid relegation to the fourth tier of english football - might even have been the old fourth division!! :D
    If I recall correctly, they were drawing when in the last minute they were awarded a penalty. The normal penalty taker essentially bottled it, and refused to take it. Someone else stepped up and missed and the Blades were relegated! I remember the Blades manager went on a rant about the normal penalty taker - would never play for the Club again etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A guy I follow on Twitter (Argentina Previews) posted a link to it yesterday when it was on. I only go to see the final 20 minutes but it was bloody amazing.

I can't imagine what the Chacarita fans must have felt. Horrible way to lose a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

O/T

Love Chacarita Juniors stadium. The main stand is approx only 20 rows deep and yet they've decided to make it a two-tier job anyway. Apparently they're gonna run that design all around the ground in time. Tho considering it looked barely anyone turned up for their important play-off and that they just got relegated I'm guessing those plans may have to go on hold.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1806/chaca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Out of interest why would they have won the tie if they had scored the penalty?

First leg was 1-0 according to the OP, so scoring the penalty would have made it 2-2 so either they would still have lost on away goals or perhaps extra time if away goals don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Brilliant, thanks for sharing!

Reminds me a lot of the Depor - Barca league title race in 1994. Depor are leading Barca by 1 point going into the final day, but while Barca are leading comfortably against Sevilla, Depor can't break down a stubborn Valencia defence - that is until injury time when they are awarded a penalty. Defensive stalwart Djukic has the chance to win Depor's first ever League title from the spot.

Go to 5 minutes in to see the incident in question, although probably worth watching the whole video.

Advertisement