Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scanner repair Galway

Options
  • 01-07-2012 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have owned this relic since new. It's a Sony ICF-Pro80.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQlWFknlj3pjrNS24EbJ.jpg

It still works superbly on FM but seems to be out of tune on Airband when using the supplied Frequency converter. I have read that the capacitors leak & a lot of people say that the volume dies but mine is ok.

Is there any Airband frequency that broadcasts consistently & is receivable from Galway ? I am thinking of comparing it with my Maycom to see if it is out of tune.

Or does anyone know of a repairer/enthusiast near Galway who would be able to give an honest appraisal of whether it is worth repairing. The capacitors are available cheaply online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Discodog wrote: »
    I have owned this relic since new. It's a Sony ICF-Pro80.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQlWFknlj3pjrNS24EbJ.jpg

It still works superbly on FM but seems to be out of tune on Airband when using the supplied Frequency converter. I have read that the capacitors leak & a lot of people say that the volume dies but mine is ok.

Please don't take this the wrong way but when you move from the VHF
    broadcast band(FM) to the AIrband, you have to change to AM mode.
    This if you try to listen to an AM signal using a radio that is using FM mode
    then you will hear only a small amount of audio in comparison to listening
    using AM mode.

As for a source of a signal...
    The website

http://www.galwayairport.com/airport_info/Aerodrome_Technical_Details/34

suggests that 118.225 Mhz might be a good place to start.

108.5 and 110.0 MHz also look like a good source of a signal but only
    expect to hear a morse code ident on those.

[[note to others: have a look at the frequency for the NDB. It's the first
    UHF NDB that I've seen listed ever!! ]]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

brownmini wrote: »
    Please don't take this the wrong way but when you move from the VHF
    broadcast band(FM) to the AIrband, you have to change to AM mode.

I used to use it on Airband for years until I bought the Maycom :D

It may be old but it's a very versatile set & still loved by some. It selects the mode automatically according the frequency but also allows manual switching. It has Wide & Narrow Am plus the same for FM & SSB as well.

I am a bit too far away from Galway to pick up the airport. I was trying to do a comparison using Shannon approach but it's difficult when signals come & go.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Discodog wrote: »
    I used to use it on Airband for years until I bought the Maycom :D

It may be old but it's a very versatile set & still loved by some. It selects the mode automatically according the frequency but also allows manual switching. It has Wide & Narrow Am plus the same for FM & SSB as well.

I am a bit too far away from Galway to pick up the airport. I was trying to do a comparison using Shannon approach but it's difficult when signals come & go.

Ah OK.
    ALways nice to have a radio that lets the user select the mode as well. So frustrating when the radio insists which mode to use on various bands.

May I suggest that during the day (at least) you may hear more traffic on the Shannon Area (high level) frequencies due to the amount of fly-overs.
    There's a list of them down the bottom of the webpage at...
    http://www.flyinginireland.com/airband-frequencies.html

[interesting to see that this page says Galway has no ATIS - but previously mentioned GalwayAirport webpage says it does have ATIS]

Advertisement