Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for a change on the RTE Panel?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

kryogen wrote: »
    I think people are missing what Bill really does on that show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They're good entertainment. In terms of astute analysis they're pretty hopeless.

Viewership dictates the matters and fact is whether you like 'the old crew' or not, they seem to get the numbers. So much so in fact that some viewers only tune in for their 'analysis' and not the actual football itself. For lighthearted jokery RTE is very good but if you want stats or research then Johnny Giles 'doesnt know much about the <enter obscure national football team here>.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Yeah but you need someone like that in fairness.

I don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football coverage in general is in an awful state compared to other sports. Ive said it many times, Chris Collinsworth on NFL Sunday Night Football or any other NFL Co-commentator does more analysis in the space of any given quarter of a game than RTE or BBC would do in a season on the likes of Premier Soccer Saturday or MOTD. Thats not even an exageration and he does it live, just seconds after it happens. In football they have a whole half in a studio analyse a goal and all we get from RTE is "Well Bill, it was a good cross, striker gets a ahead of the defender and heads it into the net. The keeper might have done better there but they were worth their goal". How is that classed as analysis? its just stating the obvious with a bit of comment and opinion to it. The man on the street can do what they do. I want the well paid pundits to give their expertise on the analysis of a goal not give comment and opinion, I can do that myself.

What Sky do with Monday Night Football is on the road of how it should be done, i dont understand why they only do it once a week or why nobody else does it. RTE are still back in the black and white days with their format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Giles Souness Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Hamann, Cunningham and Sadlier are excellent. I'd be happy for any of them to be made part of the regular panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

The panel can still work with Giles and Dunphy if someone is brought in to challenge their views, just like Souness was.

If they just brought back Richie Sadlier and Didi Hamann into it more they can improve their analysis without getting rid of what made it great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Can we have a "Replace them with the Apres Match crew" option please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Bill, Eamonn, and john Giles are well passed their sell by date at this stage and should be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't watch the RTE coverage for analysis.

what kind of eejit does that?

let them keep entertaining me with absolute guff.

i'll listen to the Guardian later, read some tweets from respective journalists, or wait for some columns in the newspaper and/or online the next day for some actual analysis.

at least RTE are shít and entertaining.

BBC are shít and dull.

ITV were largely shít and dull, but do win the duel of the TV stations in terms of analysis, if only for Roberto Martinez, who was a class above IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

LimGal wrote: »
    Ya thats grand but my point is this guy has no experience at the top level yet he is giving his opinion to the nation.Still dont see how he got the job tbh.

You must know by now how RTE works ?
    To be fair to Sadlier he worked his way up to that role ratger than just getting the gig because he was a great player for Ireland like Whelan and Houghton.

No matter how many important goals houghton scored, I can never forgive him after that Badiel and Skinner sketch.
    What are people's opinions on Darragh Maloney? I think he's come on a lot over the years and will be a good replacement for Bill. As long as Peter Sutcliffe, i mean, Collins is kept out of that hotseat im happy.

Speaking of getting jobs with RTE through contacts.
    I can't believe they let him commentate. :eek:

I can see that other tullip Craig Doyle been given a gig soon.
    Although maybe he gets lost in the Isle of Mann at the next TT.
    We can but hope.
    How is Bill an embarrassment?

Yeah it would be much better if we had Mr Tayto or some such. :D
    Football coverage in general is in an awful state compared to other sports. Ive said it many times, Chris Collinsworth on NFL Sunday Night Football or any other NFL Co-commentator does more analysis in the space of any given quarter of a game than RTE or BBC would do in a season on the likes of Premier Soccer Saturday or MOTD. Thats not even an exageration and he does it live, just seconds after it happens.

The less stuff from American football the better.
    I don't want a stats breakdown on how many yards made, how many passes completed, how many players standing on the sideline and how often they change the entire team during a match ?
    All the stats stuff now brought into other sports has come from the US sports has it not ?
    Rugby is now getting carried away with this stuff.
    It fecking reminds me of school or a bloody stats class.
    Seamu$ wrote: »
    Can we have a "Replace them with the Apres Match crew" option please? :)

Actually have they only been showing reruns ?
    Didn't they take over for third place playoff or some such at last WC ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd replace Brady with Hamann myself. I like Darragh Maloney as a presenter myself but the stuff Bill comes out with it is just hilarious especially when it comes back to them at half time/full time.

"Well.. Hands up if you were bored" after last nights game. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

People judging Sadlier on his top flight and international experience are completely missing the point when it comes to analysing a match.

Take the BBC for example, Alan ''he'll be disappointed with that'' Shearer and Mark Lawrenson have a huge amount of Premier League and international experience, but they are arguably the two worst pundits on television in the UK. They never research and fail to provide any insight into the game, in contrast to Sadlier who actually makes an effort and backs up his opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kryogen wrote: »
    I think people are missing what Bill really does on that show.

Bill is gas, love how he tries to stifle his laugh when he reads out this poll:D...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Did anyone mention Dunphy on about the Spanish yesterday? "Look at them, none of them singing the anthem, shows unity" or something alone those lines.

There are no words to the Anthem Eamonn. Imagine if the BBC and UTV lads saw that they'd be laughing at them.

Just looking at Giles wiki.

First off, Bill is older than him :eek:

And then his quotes, this is my fave :P
    "I wouldn't have Aaron Lennon in the England team or I wouldn't have Shaun Wright-Phillips, I think they're brainless. I can't stand brainless players anyway. Most wingers are a bit brainless, but there's some good ones as well."

and this :P
    Giles: "I've no time for the UEFA Cup at all." Bill O'Herlihy: "Hold on a second, John. We've got the final on Wednesday." Giles: "It should be a great final, Bill. It always is on RTE."

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

LOL at the people who chastise the RTE panal for not giving a break down of every tactic NFL style.

Football isn't like that. There's nether the time (no stoppages bar half time) nor the need to have that kind of analysis. Football is usually a slow paced, low scoring sport, where the viewer can see pretty much everything happening with their very own eyes, so why do you need to be fed a load of scientific analysis to enhance the match watching experience?

I'd hate to see the panal go. I'd much rather hear the views of the same three auld dinosaurs I've grown up watching and who have provided some genuine box-office comedy moments than polished, company men telling me stuff that I already know.

FWIW, I believe Giles and Brady are as good as anyone I've seen, bar Gary Neville, on UK or Ireland TV at actually analysing a game as they see it.....even if Giles will call the occasional German player 'that lad'!

Scientific analysis :D I don't think some basic analysing of football matches is too much to ask for. The fact that it's low scoring means nothing at all. Tbh, I think a lot of people would be impressed with them if they managed to go an entire game without getting a player's name wrong/the team he plays for wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

G.K. wrote: »
    I don't care how much experience in the top flight someone has. I care about them being able to analyse a match. I've never watched RTE in my life but by the sounds of things Sadiler knows his stuff, more than Dunphy and frankly that's what I'd prefer to watch and listen to. If only the likes of Michael Cox and Jonathan Wilson were our BBC pundits over here instead of Shearer and Hansen...

Also have James Richardson presenting. Sure get Barry Glendenning in aswell :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Dont mind the panel. Its the co-commentary that needs an overhaul. Ray Houghton should be fu*ked right out of it. Awful....AWFUL analysis...

George: "ohhhhh! Just off the post from Ronaldo!"

Ray: "Had he hit that more to the left, they'd be one nil up now. "

Fu*k off, Ray. Bring back Jim Beglin.

00004e65-642.jpg

The coverage was missing an awful lot of orangey boots in the knockout stages :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The only good thing about RTE's coverage is that they are absolute trolls imo. Their knowledge of football in general is pretty appalling and they way the act, and some of the things the say, would have them fired off any other TV station.

I used to despise them but I've come around to accepting them as a light hearted entertainment not to be taken in any way seriously.

Kenny "Raise your eyebrows for every supposedly insightful point you make" Cunningham wrecks my head though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I like Brian Kerr, even when he is going about your man with the orangey boots. Kenny Cunningham is excellent and I think he's the best of them all. Eamonn Dunphy is a troll but at least he's allowed to say what he thinks, I think he absolutely wrecked Souness' head.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

I'd prefer a bilingual Spanish speaking co-commentator that shouts "Goooooooaall de (insert team)" everytime a goal is scored. Makes it very entertaining.

I actually think RTE read this forum. Only thing they didn't take note of was ray houghton bein ****e, they must have told him he'd get the 2 semis and the final pre tournament.

they'll be there till the bitter end.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

A good alternative, not a great alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

dunphy's footballing knowledge is extremely limited. for one of the spain matches he was doing the team preview for them and basically just read out each player's name followed by "brilliant". giles's mind is much slower, he's too old for it now. bill still does a job, but daragh has much superior knowledge.

Samich wrote: »
    I actually think RTE read this forum. Only thing they didn't take note of was ray houghton bein ****e, they must have told him he'd get the 2 semis and the final pre tournament.

i actually thought houghton was probably the best of the lot for analysis this year.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    i actually thought houghton was probably the best of the lot for analysis this year.

650hog.gif

Renn wrote: »
    650hog.gif

who's better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

who's better?

Everyone

Ray Houghton hurts my head listening to his "everything could have been done better/captain hindsight" routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Not time for a change. Here's why:

Dempsey wrote: »
    Everyone

Ray Houghton hurts my head listening to his "everything could have been done better/captain hindsight" routine.

you think bill and eamonn are better? i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Can put up with them all bar Brady, in my opinion he lets his dislike and bias of certain teams and players show through and distorts anything he may want to say. He should run back to the loving arms of Arsenal and stay there as he is totally useless on TV.

Sadlier or Cunningham would be a fine replacement for me

you think bill and eamonn are better? i see.

You think its insightful for someone to constantly say players should have done better all the time? Houghton offers nothing except constant negativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Dont mind the panel. Its the co-commentary that needs an overhaul. Ray Houghton should be fu*ked right out of it. Awful....AWFUL analysis...

George: "ohhhhh! Just off the post from Ronaldo!"

Ray: "Had he hit that more to the left, they'd be one nil up now. "

Fu*k off, Ray. Bring back Jim Beglin.

Can't fcuking stand Ray Houghton either!

''ah she should've played <insert player name> through there instead of that pass"

a few minutes later...

.."what's he trying to play that pass for? He should've kept it simple and played it to the midfielder'".

Idiot.

Ronnie Whelan is another muppet.

When a player who is preceived to take an easy tumble gets fouled - ''ah he went over like he shot there''.

There was an instance where Ronaldo go fouled by 3 Czech players knocking him down and he says ''and Ronaldo takes a tumble''. FFS.

Although I take issue with a lot of what they say (as brilliantly highlighted in the below article), they are entertaining.

Also, the clown saying Bill is an embarrassment? I can only assume you don't know who Bill O'Herlihy is!? The man is an institution and you're not fit to mention his name!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/from-wise-men-to-stooges-3154473.html

Dempsey wrote: »
    You think its insightful for someone to constantly say players should have done better all the time? Houghton offers nothing except constant negativity

this isn't about personal preference. he reads a game well. bill and eamonn have zero tactical knowledge of the game. you'd hear much better down the pub. at least bill has an excuse, he's not a football man. how is eamonn so clueless?

• Advertisement

this isn't about personal preference. he reads a game well. bill and eamonn have zero tactical knowledge of the game. you'd hear much better down the pub. at least bill has an excuse, he's not a football man. how is eamonn so clueless?

I disagree with that, anyone can do what he does and I wish RTE would get rid of him

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

No.
    You've got Giles & Brady for the analysis, and Dunphy for the entertainment. What more could you ask for...oh yeah, Bill and his general cóck ups :D

not saying they're not entertaining, they are and i love them, but for actual football analysis they are extremely poor, despite how we like to claim we have the best panel in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Eamo, Giles & Brady all the way..

As long as the argument / debate about "Great Players" doesn't come up. I switch it off at the hint of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Darragh (Much improved recently)
    Brady
    Sadlier (Only if he sprinkles in a little bit of optimism occasionally)
    Dunphy (Purely for entertainment, wouldn't be the same without him)

That would be my ideal line-up at the moment.

Would be good if they could get Beglin to do some co commentary also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Brady has me tuning into just about any other channel showing the same games he is plain useless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I find that switching the game on just at kick-off; allocating half-time as my tea-making/beer-refreshing/sambo-making period and switching it off at the final whistle has improved my Euro 2012 experience immeasurably.

tbh with you i was half expecting Bill to announce his retirement at the end of sunday's broadcast

he sure is getting old

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

I couldn't get over how terrible the panel were for the euros. I think their performance could be described as "tired" at best. We all know they have a poor understanding of the game, and make up for it by being entertaining, but they seem to have lost even that.

They were clearly just going through the motions for this tournament, they were so dull. Giles and Brady are well past it, their brains have turned to mush, and Dunphy is constantly tired and emotional, his eyes always glazed over and he constantly contradicts himself in the same sentence!

They really irk me the way they ramble on so much, and constantly interupt each other, so you never really know what point they are trying to make.

RTE really need to bring in younger, enthusiastic, passionate people, who have a good level of knowledge about the game and who can analyse the tactics of each team.

Advertisement