Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you for or against national id cards/profiles?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I might have nothing to hide now but who's to say I won't have something to hide tomorrow.

Or that what you have in plain sight today you might have to hide tomorrow

Governments tend to get more restrictive over time and old restrictions are not lifted nearly as much as they should be. Each time there is a backlash against excessive health & safety or "nanny state", "think of the children" or whatever you like to call it there might be a few token repeals if the government is feeling generous, followed by a period of inactivity and then its full steam ahead with further restricting people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Nobody else think the OP is just trolling?

But in regards to ID cards, why can't they make worldwide, or at least European standard plastic card that says you age, where your from and your name? Or if there is one, make it so you don't have to be 18 to get it like the Garda age card! I have found myself in situations where I have to fight at train stations to try and prove my age for a damn child ticket!

nim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

For certain English language (IELTS) exams you have to get finger prints taken, it is only a matter of time before it becomes the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

This is the funniest opening post I've read all day. I haven't witnessed such delusion over technology since they stopped showing Tomorrow's World. Comedy gold, OP, really top drawer. As soon as the pain in my stomach goes away, I'll read the rest of the thread.

Oh yeah, we have cars that drive themselves these days, we have augmented reality glasses coming onto the market in 2014, we have 3d holographic video conferencing, we have 3d printers which can create living organs, we can clone, but a thread about extending the gardai's fingerprint database is hilarious to you. Have you recently suffered a heavy blow to the head? ps. this internet malarky will never catch on, bring back the wireless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

delad wrote: »
    we have 3d printers which can create living organs, we can clone, but a thread about extending the gardai's fingerprint database is hilarious to you.

Extending their fingerprint database does seem fairly useless in a time when you can just print and clone fingers on demand

Also I'm expecting Google's 3D glasses to be fairly shoite, just like android and anything else that came out of that company that wasn't a search engine (or Google Gulp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Oh yeah, we have cars that drive themselves these days, we have augmented reality glasses coming onto the market in 2014, we have 3d holographic video conferencing, we have 3d printers which can create living organs, we can clone, but a thread about extending the gardai's fingerprint database is hilarious to you. Have you recently suffered a heavy blow to the head? ps. this internet malarky will never catch on, bring back the wireless!

What do any of those ideas have to do with a massive centralised database and the most hideously complex networking idea I've ever heard of, exactly?

Turns out that there are parts of the country that don't have that level of communications infrastructure. What would folks do in Bally-in-the-middle-of-nowhere to start their car in the morning or vote etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

No need for it really, and I like to keep my business to myself. What if I wanted someone else to get something in my house/car/etc.? Imagine the cost of it too, madness. :eek:

eth0 wrote: »
    Extending their fingerprint database does seem fairly useless in a time when you can just print and clone fingers on demand

Also I'm expecting Google's 3D glasses to be fairly shoite, just like android and anything else that came out of that company that wasn't a search engine (or Google Gulp)

Yeah good point about the printing fingers on demand, we'll have to use brain scans instead or something.

Oh and by the way, GoogleNow p1sses all over siri from a great height, look up the youtube videos comparing the two, googles voice assistant is much better and much quicker.

Googles glasses are probably about 10 years away from being as good as they are in that promotional video, but they will be fantastic. The main problem is the fact that wireless broadband is so slow at the moment, they need big advances in that before the glasses become a reality.

What do any of those ideas have to do with a massive centralised database and the most hideously complex networking idea I've ever heard of, exactly?

They have absolutely nothing to do with the idea in this thread. I was just pointing out how advanced the human race has become in a short period of time, and how tame my idea is to some of those advancements.

My idea isn't hideously complex, its very very simple. Currently all our data is spread out over various different systems with varying levels of security. My idea is to centralise it all on one database of the highest level of security we currently have.

So the world would be a safer place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

So the world would be a safer place.
    Keep telling yourself that

Advertisement