Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hops in Ireland?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 2:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Can hops be grown easily in this country? Just wondering where i could get a few plants?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, there are a fair few home brewers with their own plants. I have a Golden Tassels (First Gold variant) which is a bit rubbish and not recommended, and a Cascade which I have high hopes for. Apparently Primadonna (First Gold) is quite readily available as a decorative plant but is good for brewing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Have been growing a few in pots over the last few months. Finally planted them out over the weekend and made a temporary trellis for the rest of the season. Type in hop rhizome on ebay and you should get results for cascade wiilamette and brewers gold. I got cascade and willamette this way and the rhizomes were in good shape when they arrived.

Bit late in the season at this stage to be considering starting anyway, you should get few rhizomes early next year and get started then

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

There was an established hop industry in Co Kilkenny at one stage, so yes, hops grow fairly well here.

UK varieties do well, for obvious reasons, but US varieties also will also grow, just not as vigorously as they do in their native environment (and won't taste the same either).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Is there anywhere to buy hops in small enough quantites

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

BeerNut wrote: »

thanks, for some reason that wasnt coming up in my google search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

This guy rmight be worth checking out

althhttp://rupertsfarm.com/#/brewery/4532994068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Is there a demand for Irish grown hops?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've heard of small scale hop growing operations in Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary and East Cork.

Ireland is within the "hop belt" so there's no reason why hops can't be grown here.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I've heard of small scale hop growing operations in Wexford, Waterford, Tipperary and East Cork.

Ireland is within the "hop belt" so there's no reason why hops can't be grown here.

Any more information on this and if Irish grown hops can be bought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

JupiterKid wrote: »

With the high amount of rainfall though, hop-cyst nematodes and Verticillium wilt can be a bit of a pain. Be ultra-vigilant in removing dead plant material from yer hops! If either get in your soil, it's a nightmare to remove.

Advertisement