Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Month Old Refusing Solid Food

Options
  • 01-07-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys
    my 8 month old son has suddenly refused to take solids. all was fine until a couple of days ago when he just suddly started to refuse. he still drinks all his bottle but we have been reducing his bottles to one large one in the morning and evening and food during the day to wean him off
    we dont think (and hope) anything is wrong with him as it was just sudden and he still likes his bottle
    he seems to be just very fussy

any ideas on how we can get him to take the food again. we try making it fun for him by pretending to eat and say its lovely but it doesnt work

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

hi guys
    my 8 month old son has suddenly refused to take solids. all was fine until a couple of days ago when he just suddly started to refuse. he still drinks all his bottle but we have been reducing his bottles to one large one in the morning and evening and food during the day to wean him off
    we dont think (and hope) anything is wrong with him as it was just sudden and he still likes his bottle
    he seems to be just very fussy

any ideas on how we can get him to take the food again. we try making it fun for him by pretending to eat and say its lovely but it doesnt work

thanks

Let him feed himself. Honestly, just present the food and a spoon in front of him and allow him to work away on his own while you eat your own meal at the same table. This part is really important because it will encourage hi to model your behaviour. Don't pay him much attention or watch him obviously. My girl is furiously independent and has been feeding herself since 5 and a half months, she won't tolerate any one feeding her at all but thankfully she is a great eater now at 19 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

he hasnt got the idea yet to use a spoon

i literally just a second ago tried him on smooth baby food and he milled it, so it seems he doesnt like or want to take to lumpier foods

the mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

he hasnt got the idea yet to use a spoon

i literally just a second ago tried him on smooth baby food and he milled it, so it seems he doesnt like or want to take to lumpier foods

the mind boggles

I would persist with the lumpy food - at 8 months he should be well able for it. Have you tried finger foods with him yet? It doesn't really matter if he isn't using the spoon yet, give him one with the food anyway and let him try it for himself. Even if he uses his hands it is still encouraging his hand eye coordination and independence in feeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We're on textured foods (like the Ella's pouchs from 7 months) so it's not pureed but not exactly lumpy. My 10 month old won't take lumps just yet, well she does love whole baked beans so maybe she's well able for them! He could be teething?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My 8 month old went through this and for a few days i just gave him the puree stuff.. but i discovered that if i fed him from my fork off my plate he would chew the lumps.. so instead of mashing his food i gave him full pieces til he got back on track.. i know i would love to give him homemade all the time but it's not always practical so i discovered that he prefers the Hipp Organic jars to any of the others . . it could be teething too with sore gums they don't always want to chew. . ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement