Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2 help please! :(

• 01-07-2012 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

So I made a disastrous mistake in paper 2. I was running a bit low on time and found the hamlet questions a bit hard but started doing the corruption question anyway. Wrote about 2 pages and thought halfway that it's wrong. So I started the madness question, had only written bout a page and before I knew it the time was up. I had very light crossed out the corruption answer but it's well visible. When I came home, I realized my corruption answer was actually correct. :( my question is will the examiner be nice and correct both and count the higher one or because I crossed it out, the corruption answer won't be marked? I have been getting nightmares and just can't get it out of my head. I was stupid to do this, I know but I was under pressure inside that hall. Please end my misery and tell me, I want to stop thinking bout it and relax for the summer :'(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Firstly , nobody here on the boards has seen your paper and therefore cannot answer you properly but if it is a decent examiner, once they can see the answer, they correct everything on the paper and give the highest result , you won't know until results are out so really try to stop worrying , only think about it on results day. enjoy the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

i'm sure that if you get a decent examiner then they will give you the marks for it, seeing that you only lightly crossed it out they should read it. If not then you could appeal it? But anyway relax and just enjoy the summer, it's done now there's nothing that you can do about it, it's in the past :) worrying won't change anything just chillax :D you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    No your screwed sorry

Now, now that's not nice.

They will probably correct both attempts and count the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

holy jesus...... you done goofed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thank you to those who helped. What's done is done I suppose. :( thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

I correct maths papers and have to correct everything - even those bits that students have done their best to obliterate! Student gets the best marks. I'm sure that English is marked similarly. To put your mind at rest why not ask this question in the Teachers and Lecturers Forum, maybe someone that corrects English will respond there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

cocopopsxx wrote: »
    So I made a disastrous mistake in paper 2. I was running a bit low on time and found the hamlet questions a bit hard but started doing the corruption question anyway. Wrote about 2 pages and thought halfway that it's wrong. So I started the madness question, had only written bout a page and before I knew it the time was up. I had very light crossed out the corruption answer but it's well visible. When I came home, I realized my corruption answer was actually correct. :( my question is will the examiner be nice and correct both and count the higher one or because I crossed it out, the corruption answer won't be marked? I have been getting nightmares and just can't get it out of my head. I was stupid to do this, I know but I was under pressure inside that hall. Please end my misery and tell me, I want to stop thinking bout it and relax for the summer :'(

I correct English. Your examiner will absoluely correct your corruption response, they're obliged to do so. Fear not - go enjoy your summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

Thanks a million fasteriwalk! You have put me at ease, I can relax now, thanks very much! :)

Thank you chris68. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I correct English. Your examiner will absoluely correct your corruption response, they're obliged to do so. Fear not - go enjoy your summer!

would you know if this applies to all subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Sunny!! wrote: »

Ye, it does. I'm almost certain it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Absolutely. Unless, of course, you've made it entirely illegible.

thank you! crossed out an answer that was totally right but i crossed it out very light with an x so the examiner can see it still

thank you! crossed out an answer that was totally right but i crossed it out very light with an x so the examiner can see it still

I did that shlyly in my Irish tape! I couldn't make out a number said so I put them both down (in letters too) and lightLy crossed out the two which I thought were wrong (the same one in figures as in letters)

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I did that shlyly in my Irish tape! I couldn't make out a number said so I put them both down (in letters too) and lightLy crossed out the two which I thought were wrong (the same one in figures as in letters)

i know for maths they would correct many attempts even if there crossed out but not sure if its the same with accounting

i know for maths they would correct many attempts even if there crossed out but not sure if its the same with accounting

Ratios eh? I'm sure they'll give you some marks. It's more for procedure rather than the numbers. There is usually 3 steps per ratio. Ratioformula, Numbers, Answer. Each get 3 marks usually. If one in the first part is wrong, you'll lose probably only 3/4 marks maximum. If this ratio is carried down, you shouldn't lose any in the next ratio/comparison in the essay part.

Ratios eh? I'm sure they'll give you some marks. It's more for procedure rather than the numbers. There is usually 3 steps per ratio. Ratioformula, Numbers, Answer. Each get 3 marks usually. If one in the first part is wrong, you'll lose probably only 3/4 marks maximum. If this ratio is carried down, you shouldn't lose any in the next ratio/comparison in the essay part.

id be happy with 3/10 need an A1 and its a bit tight!

id be happy with 3/10 need an A1 and its a bit tight!

I need the a1 too! My cash flow worked out ( Forgot to put in that stupid heading for net cash inflow before management of liquid resources and financing, but i'm not sure if that harbours any marks so I hope not! )

The top half of my service firm worked out but I think i made a mistake in my profit/loss income/expenditure part so i'd be down a few marks.

Almost certain my two 60 markers were perfect/near perfect "fingers crossed"

Budgeting was great, just had a few little tricks in it, hoping not many people noticed the trick! :L I usually make stupid mistakes in it though so </3

I'm sure you got it!

I need the a1 too! My cash flow worked out ( Forgot to put in that stupid heading for net cash inflow before management of liquid resources and financing, but i'm not sure if that harbours any marks so I hope not! )

The top half of my service firm worked out but I think i made a mistake in my profit/loss income/expenditure part so i'd be down a few marks.

Almost certain my two 60 markers were perfect/near perfect "fingers crossed"

Budgeting was great, just had a few little tricks in it, hoping not many people noticed the trick! :L I usually make stupid mistakes in it though so </3

I'm sure you got it!

i would be gutted if i didnt get an A1. The 60's were perfect. Always get 60/60 in reval and i love the farm/service accounts. My service was only out by 600, something small. I looked at the cash flow and there was something about the dividends i didnt like, happy i noticed the way they changed ratio. and the 80 marker i had the exact same figures as others. An A2 would not be the end of the world:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

i would be gutted if i didnt get an A1. The 60's were perfect. Always get 60/60 in reval and i love the farm/service accounts. My service was only out by 600, something small. I looked at the cash flow and there was something about the dividends i didnt like, happy i noticed the way they changed ratio. and the 80 marker i had the exact same figures as others. An A2 would not be the end of the world:)

Oh ya by the way we took the wrong net profit for that question aswell

• Advertisement

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Oh ya by the way we took the wrong net profit for that question aswell

theres only 1 net profit figure the 63000

theres only 1 net profit figure the 63000

Okay was your ROCE 7.35% or 9.68%

Okay was your ROCE 7.35% or 9.68%

mine would have been 9.68%

Ya thats what i got. But it turns out were wrong by looking at the 2007Q and the marking scheme. Ive kind of calculated what i think we got. We both got that wrong and both got 2 of the ratios wrong. Its still possible for us to get around 77/100 (assuming you got the theory right.

Ya thats what i got. But it turns out were wrong by looking at the 2007Q and the marking scheme. Ive kind of calculated what i think we got. We both got that wrong and both got 2 of the ratios wrong. Its still possible for us to get around 77/100 (assuming you got the theory right.

its still possible to get like 87. For calculating the roce in part b its only max 3 marks for the figure theres more marks for the writing. and worst case loosing the 10 in part a(probarly get an attempt mark). So its possible to get 87/100

Im not being pessimistic here but its not. Giving that we took the wrong figure well get Dividend cover
    Interest cover
    ROCE
    Real rate of return
    the comparisons
    Etc
    and you got the Mrkt price/DPS and the Cash purchases wrong so its not possible to stiil get 87

Im not being pessimistic here but its not. Giving that we took the wrong figure well get Dividend cover
    Interest cover
    ROCE
    Real rate of return
    the comparisons
    Etc
    and you got the Mrkt price/DPS and the Cash purchases wrong so its not possible to stiil get 87

i only got one ratio wrong in part A thats part (iv). I got all the rest right, went through it with my teacher thats 40/50. Theres only one net profit figure, where are you getting theres a different net profit?

I was looking at the accounting aftermath thread and the answers you posted there. Your first ratio was wrong aswell. And if you look at the 2007 paper the question is practicallty identical. Its proves that we were wrong.

I was looking at the accounting aftermath thread and the answers you posted there. Your first ratio was wrong aswell. And if you look at the 2007 paper the question is practicallty identical. Its proves that we were wrong.

yeah i just noticed the first ratio was wrong an additon error so i wont be loosing the full 10 might get 6.

The interest cover was right though, its net profit plus interest as interest is a negative figure so you add it. Even though interest hasnt brackets it was negative, that seems to have caught people. Shouldnt have done ratios:(

• Advertisement

Oh i get what ya mean now i never thought of it like that. Our teacher never did it with us like that. Im sorry your actually right. So if i got interest cover wrong and ROCE wrong
    I should only lose like 10 marks in total.?? Does that sound right.? Your after putting me in a good humour now/

Advertisement