Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English paper 2 help please! :(

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Guys guys... Even though I do accounting and I know this is important, maybe ye should start PM-ing each other just to keep the thread on topic! :)

I'm sure ye'll get the 87/100 as they can only penalise you once for one mistake. So the incorrect figure should be counted as the correct figure for other ratios. The marking schemes online aren't the exact ones used by correctors. Those are near to the first draft, whereas the correctors use marking schemes which are constantly being changed and corrected. Don't rely too heavily on online marking schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Oh i get what ya mean now i never thought of it like that. Our teacher never did it with us like that. Im sorry your actually right. So if i got interest cover wrong and ROCE wrong
    I should only lose like 10 marks in total.?? Does that sound right.? Your after putting me in a good humour now/

for interest cover if you wrote down the formula you'll get 4.
    The written profitability will be 6/7 marks in part b in my opinion even less id say as the written part has such low marks in comparison to other years. The roce might only be 2/6 marks. You might have lost 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

Thanks it looks like im still on course for the A1 after all. It basically depends on whether or not i got my course.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Guys guys... Even though I do accounting and I know this is important, maybe ye should start PM-ing each other just to keep the thread on topic! :)

I'm sure ye'll get the 87/100 as they can only penalise you once for one mistake. So the incorrect figure should be counted as the correct figure for other ratios. The marking schemes online aren't the exact ones used by correctors. Those are near to the first draft, whereas the correctors use marking schemes which are constantly being changed and corrected. Don't rely too heavily on online marking schemes.

I was told by a teacher which lets say is very experienced and has written books and he says the leaving cert accounting papers are corrected appalingly as some teachers dont take the incorrect figure onto the next account as correct, but i suppose thats the purpose of viewing scripts!

Thanks it looks like im still on course for the A1 after all. It basically depends on whether or not i got my course.

same with me! but i suppose all we can do is wait:)

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    I was told by a teacher which lets say is very experienced and has written books and he says the leaving cert accounting papers are corrected appalingly as some teachers dont take the incorrect figure onto the next account as correct, but i suppose thats the purpose of viewing scripts!

Ya, the chief correcting examiner lives up the road from me, and she's also my cousin's aunt :L She said they should only penalise you once. Also, she was annoyed with my teacher in her methods and she said if I came to her earlier for grinds etc I would have done ratios with her. I hope I did well enough on my service firm though :L

What other questions did ye do.
    I did the company, Ratios, Servive firm, and costing Q

What other questions did ye do.
    I did the company, Ratios, Servive firm, and costing Q

Farm Reval Service Cash flow Budgeting

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Ya, the chief correcting examiner lives up the road from me, and she's also my cousin's aunt :L She said they should only penalise you once. Also, she was annoyed with my teacher in her methods and she said if I came to her earlier for grinds etc I would have done ratios with her. I hope I did well enough on my service firm though :L

they should and i hope they do, but a couple of years ago a student of this teacher went from a C to an A after a recheck because of this issue, hope it doesnt happen to me!

farm,reval,ratios,service,costing

• Advertisement

How did it go for ye? I expect to get full marks in my costing, Got my Service firm to balance so expect to get in or around full marks in that. But then the problems come because i expect to lose about 20 marks in my company A/C so if i lose any more than 20 in my ratios Q ill be after losing my A1. I was going to do the Cash Flow but there was the investment income and i didnt know what to do with that so i left it. Im sorry i did now.

How did it go for ya? I expect to get full marks in my costing, Got my Service firm to balance so expect to get in or around full marks in that. But then the problems come because i expect to lose about 20 marks in my company A/C so if i lose any more than 20 in my ratios Q ill be after losing my A1. I was going to do the Cash Flow but there was the investment income and i didnt know what to do with that so i left it. Im sorry i did now.

im the same i would have got a nice 85 id say in the cashflow what was i thinking doing ratios! If i got 70 in ratios the A1 is gone.

Ha ya i wouldnt mind but my teacher actually advised us to not do the ratios. Wish i listened to them now.

Ha ya i wouldnt mind but my teacher actually advised us to not do the ratios. Wish i listened to them now.

mine did as well, at least with cashflow you get marks easily for headings etc and i probarly would have got it done quicker too. Should have worked on timing this year.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    mine did as well, at least with cashflow you get marks easily for headings etc and i probarly would have got it done quicker too. Should have worked on timing this year.

My cashflow worked out perfectly. I left out one heading, but I don't think any marks go for it.

I was out by something in my service but the top half worked so hopefully I'll only lose about 10 marks or so.

Budgeting, I'm hoping to get at least 70/80. If so, I'll be really happy as it's so easy to lose marks in it. Also, there was a trick in it, so I'm happy I noticed it :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Sorry to butt in here. What book would ye rec for accounting?
    Hope ye all got what ye want.:)

shinesun wrote: »

i would recommend just exam papers and revise wise. But if you want to buy a book the best is modern accounting

I would but only if you enjoy getting things to work out. Its differnent with accounting. If you like it youll be good at it and be going for an A. Is a subject that requires constant practice. And if you do practice you will get rewarded.

shinesun wrote: »

I'd recommend doing all the papers. Also, try to understand the principles behind the workings as it'd be easier to work them out then. I used the Christy tyrell book (I think that's his name. He's the Chief examiner in Accounting.) It was ok, bit long winded but you can't go wrong by it as he takes questions from the book for the exams.

In my opinion you dont need a book. If you work from the exam papers and from mock papers you should be fine. Also Chemhickey made the most important point of all about understanding accounting. Last year i tried to learn off differnent workings which is fine if your looking for no more than a C1 which is what i got but is essential that you understand the workings and if you fully do there in no way you wont get an A1

• Advertisement

and cover all topics. Leave out one if you find it too difficult at max and practice practice practice. And dont forget your theory:)

Advertisement