Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop growth/Killing off Trees/Vegetation

Options
  • 01-07-2012 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There is a kind of no-mans land behind our mobile home site down in Wicklow. There is kind of weedy type plants and what I think are evergreen trees growing into our site.

It is not possible to get into the other side and try kill the root, all that we can do is continue to keep cutting the branches as that's all that is really visible to us.

Is there anything we can spray on the trees/leaves that would help kill it off and stop it growing into our site as its a real nuisance.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

all you can do legally is to remove the branches at the boundry. Should you kill off the trees then the owner of the land could sue you. Best to find out who owns it and ask them for permission and get it in writing. You can find out who owns the land from the land registry.

http://www.landregistry.ie/eng/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a kind of no-mans land behind our mobile home site down in Wicklow. There is kind of weedy type plants and what I think are evergreen trees growing into our site.

It is not possible to get into the other side and try kill the root, all that we can do is continue to keep cutting the branches as that's all that is really visible to us.

Is there anything we can spray on the trees/leaves that would help kill it off and stop it growing into our site as its a real nuisance.

Thanks

You need to ask the land owners permission or ask them to cut back their vegitation from your boundary.

You CANNOT enter land that is not yours and kill off anything.

Criminal trespass and also criminal damage is what you will be charged with.

You can cut back to your boundary and thats is it.

PS-Just to put the shoe on the other foot here...How would you feel if someone sprayed off all your plants and trees and killed them all off,or if they entered your land and killed off your trees and plants on you??

Would you like it and be content with that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

paddy147 wrote: »
    You need to ask the land owners permission or ask them to cut back their vegitation from your boundary.

You CANNOT enter land that is not yours and kill off anything.

Criminal trespass and also criminal damage is what you will be charged with.

PS-Just to put the shoe on the other foot here...How would you feel if someone sprayed off all your plants and trees and killed them all off,or if they entered your land and killed off your trees and plants on you??

Would you like it and be content with that??

I never mentioned entering the land, I asked about applying something to it from my side of the fence.

As I said its a NO-Mans land and has been overgrown and like that for 20+ years with nobody in that time ever attending to it.

Anyway the previous poster was helpful in a nice tone and I will get onto the land registry to find out whom owns the land.

paddy147 wrote: »

There are further restrictions on that too, for example your "cutting back to the boundry" cannot lead to the demise of the tree or you would be liable for that too! So it would be a bad idea (for example) to slice off a large limb on a whim or to slice through support roots under your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I have a similar issue.

Behind the back fence in my garden there's nothing but a jungle!!! this field behind my garden belongs to nobody but the council. There are trees just behind my fence that are blocking all the sunlight (hold on a moment.. what sunlight am i talking about?? forgot there's no sun this summer..). We need to cut some of the branches of these trees as they are invading our garden every summer.

However, my bigger problem is the IVY!! it's growing on the other side of the fence and overflowing down the fence in my garden. I have cut it and removed the vines in my side of the fence, but the other side is still the same and I know is only a matter of time until the ivy comes back to grow in my side of the fence.

Having said this, the area behind is not accessible, i mean, the field i can access, but close to the fence there are trees and and unbelievable overgrowth of everything, weeds, thorne bushes, ivy.. i dont think a man could tresspass that. Which is good coz it keeps my property safe somehow, but still I dont know what can i do to finish with the ivy problem.

Any suggestions out there?

Oh, and also, from removing the ivy my fence is all looking manky, whith suckers and what not. Is there an easy way to remove these?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

Ivy is a real pest in the wrong place, no easy way to deal with it other than manual labour. Its waxy surface makes it fairly immune to weekillers, am exploring an option with that but its my own wild ivy trying to take a stone cottage down, so no legal problems there.

If the council owns the area then contact them directly or better still get a councillor to cut through the red tape for you. they may reduce the offending plants to 2m for you. Have a look at this recent chat about possible new right to light in irish law:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056668798

Advertisement