Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5/3/1 Boring but big

Options
  • 01-07-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys just want to get yer opinion on this. Thinkin of doing 5/3/1 but adding in the normal volume stuff i usually do for adding mass. Currently my max bench is about 95, squat 125 and deadlift 170. I would like to be benching 100-105 by christmas with relative ease as well as some decent squat numbers, but is it possible to progress with this while adding some decent mass, diet being in check of course?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Of course, adding mass and building strength are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

What you might find is that theres a trade off between doing five sets of ten and your rate of progress, there was for me anyway. Once I started doing more than about 3 sets or so progress definitely slowed.
    Its a flexible programme so once you have the main lifts done just tweak the assistance stuff as you see fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

J-Fit wrote: »

erm..not really.

SorGan wrote: »
    erm..not really.

Erm, yes really. The method is the same. Eat a sh1tload and lift heavy. The OP isn't trying to separate strength gains from mass gains so no more needs to be said. Lift away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

J-Fit wrote: »

if they were the same then it would make sense for powerlifters to do GVT but it doesnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Again, he's not looking for strength in isolation, so I stand by what I said.

To answer the original question, yes it is "possible to progress with this while adding some decent mass".

Again, he's not looking for strength in isolation, so I stand by what I said.

To answer the original question, yes it is "possible to progress with this while adding some decent mass".

No I stand by what I originally said, my brother who can't log the fcuk out does not!

Advertisement