Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it fair dublin is getting all the coverage?

• 01-07-2012 3:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

''THESE are the shocking scenes that are plaguing Ireland's best-known streets on a daily basis.
    Dublin's O'Connell Street has become a haven for addicts, dealers and drunks causing misery for businesses and residents.
    The crisis on our streets was highlighted this week by the savage nose-bite attack on innocent Aoife Flood and the killing of reporter Eugene Moloney.
    Gardai are struggling to cope with the extraordinary level of drug dealing and binge drinking that is horrifying tourists.
    Today, we expose the horrific stories from O'Connell Street -- Dublin's 'Street of Shame'.
    Our photographs reveal the extreme dangers posed to members of the public when they travel to one of the city's main shopping districts.
    vicious

http://www.herald.ie/news/our-streets-of-shame-laid-bare-3153621.html

This can happen in any town or city,(and it needs to be stopped its not acceptable by any means to have people being attacked/groped thretened)athlone and belfast for example have problems with homelessness and heroin use,and also limerick of recent years.I have been in limerick walking down o connell street for example,and shouted and roared at because i had no money to give a homeless person with a drug problem(he visibly looked like a drug addict)..

I know there are plenty of homeless hostels around limerick,and they congregate in streets near those areas,there is a methadone programme running in limerick also.Its not just dublin,im sure there are other towns affected by this epidemic.And with garda recruitment freezes and government budget cuts,its only going to get worse as time goes on..

Although i do see the point of the article it driving away tourists and local business and just people who have the right to not be bothered or intimidated..

What do people think of this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is a dublin story in a dublin newspaper.
    What is the point of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

To be fair Im super naieve when it comes to these things. Being from Derry - Not quite a country Bumkin - I have only seen one homeless person my whole 24 years.
    there are a handful of alcoholics that roam the square (I mean less than 10) but they all live in a sheltered accommodation in the town - If they sleep (pass out drunk) rough overnight its by choice.

I was in Dublin on Tuesday past there and on O'Connell st I was stopped by a rough lookin' gal looking for a cig - I dont think she was homeless - just a scrounger.

Maybe I just dont see it but I dont think its a huge a problem in Belfast or Derry as it is in Dublin.

Its a discussion forum. Whats the point of your post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What's the first thing that you think of when you hear Limerick?

Dublin gets fantastic coverage in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'm from Athlone and I see your point.

From my own point of view I'm kind of glad that the problem in Athlone isn't highlighted too much. It is a fine town and tourism is important to it at this time of year. The problem is there, but if you don't bother them, they won't generally bother you. And most of the sh1te that happens in the town isn't on the main streets in fairness, more of it goes on in the estates. The Dublin based media are obviously always going to focus on their own doorstep. That's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I don't think this is the question to be asking really?

plus Dublin is the worst place for it not only in ireland but in any of the cities ive ever been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think it's a good thing. All the negative publicity lately might actually lead to something being done about the amount of junkies, drunks and thieves in the city centre. At the risk of sounding like Joe, O'Connell St is an absolute frickin disgrace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Thats mainly due to the amount of methadone clinics they have in dublin they have more there than most places in ireland,so thats why you have the huge concentration of addicts in one city..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I think it's time the capital budget is spent on building more prisons rather than roads. Especially when prisoners are being released early
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1111/1224307371988.html

As soon as this country gets a proper Law and Order system I think we'll see crime falling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yes it's fair for three reasons;

1. More than half the population live there.

2. They are the whiniest.

3. They are the moaniest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dublin is a serious problem. The world needs to know.

• Advertisement

Im a bit half and half on it being honest,but one of the reasons i dont think its fair is because of what i encountered in limerick,i think if there are other cities ignored by the media,then it doesnt deal with the problem on a holisitic level,where every town and city is looked at.

I agree with BoHtox i think we need to build more prisons(but put more into preventative measures such as employing more on the beat gardai) and less roads(we have more than enough roads) or update the prison facilities to house more of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

BOHtox wrote: »
    As soon as this country gets a proper Law and Order system I think we'll see crime falling!

I agree.

However, I have a feeling I would disagree with whatever your idea of "proper Law and Order" is. Unless you mean the original and none of this Special Victims Unit rubbish. In which case: damn right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Dublin City Council have an anti north dublin bias and always have. the locate the methadone clinics close to o connell street meaning the zombies roam.
    remember, o connell street is the first view of ireland a lot of tourists get when they get off the 16 or the airport buses
    DCC wouldnt dream of locating a clinic near grafton street or trinity college because they are south of the liffey

Yeah i think its insane the way they have allowed them to congregate on o connell street and malborough street,as it would be the first thing commuters and tourists see..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Dublin City Council have an anti north dublin bias and always have. the locate the methadone clinics close to o connell street meaning the zombies roam.
    remember, o connell street is the first view of ireland a lot of tourists get when they get off the 16 or the airport buses
    DCC wouldnt dream of locating a clinic near grafton street or trinity college because they are south of the liffey

There's one on Pearse Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I was there during the week and I seen a lot of addicts and drunks about the place, more so than usual.

It's a shame too, the comment in the article about Shatter getting off his golden tower and walking the street to see the problems himself is a good point. I feel sorry for the people trying to get by and make a living having to deal with this sh!te day in day out.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I agree.

However, I have a feeling I would disagree with whatever your idea of "proper Law and Order" is. Unless you mean the original and none of this Special Victims Unit rubbish. In which case: damn right!

What I mean is that when you get 15 years, you don't serve half that because of over-crowding etc.
    I mean stricter sentences for murder, rape, manslaughter etc.
    I mean prisoners don't have wide-screen tvs and mobile phones etc.
    I mean people with 56 previous convictions aren't walking the streets.
    I mean Garda resources are going after the vermin of society and not personal cannibas users etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Yeah i think its insane the way they have allowed them to congregate on o connell street and malborough street,as it would be the first thing commuters and tourists see..

they roam clanbrassil street in the south city but its outside the centre so out of view of the vast majority of tourists

On my travels ive seen quite a few on o connell street although im not aware of all the m-clinics in dublin..

Ive seen tourists come off o connell street to view the statues etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

BOHtox wrote: »
    What I mean is that when you get 15 years, you don't serve half that because of over-crowding etc.
    I mean stricter sentences for murder, rape, manslaughter etc.
    I mean prisoners don't have wide-screen tvs and mobile phones etc.
    I mean people with 56 previous convictions aren't walking the streets.
    I mean Garda resources are going after the vermin of society and not personal cannibas users etc...
    One you are factually incorrect.
    Whats worse you then try to make out that the cannibis users(The ones who made John Gilligan a super rich thug) should be shown prefential treatment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

To be fair Im super naieve when it comes to these things. Being from Derry - Not quite a country Bumkin - I have only seen one homeless person my whole 24 years.
    there are a handful of alcoholics that roam the square (I mean less than 10) but they all live in a sheltered accommodation in the town - If they sleep (pass out drunk) rough overnight its by choice.

I was in Dublin on Tuesday past there and on O'Connell st I was stopped by a rough lookin' gal looking for a cig - I dont think she was homeless - just a scrounger.

Maybe I just dont see it but I dont think its a huge a problem in Belfast or Derry as it is in Dublin.

Its a discussion forum. Whats the point of your post?
    The North is definitely cleaner looking. But Derry can be rough one rough city in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭MrReynholm

I'm from Dublin and would gladly encourage lots more stories and coverage of how shíte things are getting in the city center and poor areas with regards to violent crime and drug abuse.

Very little is being done about it so the more coverage of it, the more shame brought to Dublin and consequently the country over it and the more likely those with the power to make big decisions will sit up and take notice that we actually have a very big problem on our hands here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Whats worse you then try to make out that the cannibis users(The ones who made John Gilligan a super rich thug) should be shown prefential treatment!

John Gilligan made money from Cannabis because Cannabis is illegal.

That's on the government. Not harmless, non violent people who smoke it and would like nothing more than to be able to buy it without having to associate with and give money to scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Dublin's O'Connell Street has become a haven for addicts, dealers and drunks causing misery for businesses and residents

Typical high-brow and breaking news journalism from the esteemed Hedild :rolleyes:

O'Connell Street, Talbot Street and their environs have been dumps for decades so I'm not sure why they think it's suddenly breaking news

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Most Dubs are junkies shocker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

There's one on Pearse Street.

Trinty Court on Pearse St. , actually the biggest clinic.

SocSocPol wrote: »

Firstly my point was cannibas is illegal and it shouldn't be.
    Secondly, prisoners are being released early due to overcrowding. I linked an article earlier on the same page. I may have exaggerated with 15 years down to 7 1/2 but the point remains...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dublin City Council have an anti north dublin bias and always have.
    Far too many culchies working in planning , building good roads to make their drive home on weekends easy,

completely ruined any hope of half decent public transport in the city,
    destroyed communities , lots of brown envelopes trading hands no doubt too

on so many levels Dublin is held up in Europe a shining example of how not to do things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ive seen more junkies/homeless on the streets in Dublin in my only night out there than I have every night I've been out in Limerick over the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

No it's not!:mad:

Coverage here is spotty and slow as fuck!
    3G my ass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

It needs more coverage, then maybe the moronic politicans will shift their asses into gear and do something about. Everyone knows the chances are slim as hell though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Well I would not say that Dublin is getting all the coverage. Dublin is the place where problems arises after the Limerick issue was dealt with. Before Limerick was always on the news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Dublin is a real mess and I think it is only right the capital city of the Irish Republic is reported on to just what a hole it really is. Shame really as it has some nice qualities to it.

Ya its sad to see dublin in decline like this,its only a recent enough phenomenon in dublin,i remember travelling up to dublin in the 80's and even 90's and it not being half as bad,its probably due to all the methadone clinics popping up,i seen a piece on prime time about it,and the fact there are not enough gards on the beat,i was on every street in dublin the other week(usually travel up every 3 months),and didnt see one gard except for when i was passing the haypenny bridge seen a gard on a bike at the otherside..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

We'll trade you: take the junkies and the general scumbags and in turn, we'll make sure there's a section devoted to each county in the paper.

Oh and on a serious note: living in Dublin isn't that bad to me. But telling people it's normal to see a few people passed out at 9 or 10 in the morning or injecting themselves with heroin shocks people. Maybe you ought to spend a few months around town. It's nowhere near as bad as some countries but it's still a right mess compared to what it should be.
    Ya its sad to see dublin in decline like this,its only a recent enough phenomenon in dublin,i remember travelling up to dublin in the 80's and even 90's and it not being half as bad,its probably due to all the methadone clinics popping up,i seen a piece on prime time about it,and the fact there are not enough gards on the beat,i was on every street in dublin the other week(usually travel up every 3 months),and didnt see one gard except for when i was passing the haypenny bridge seen a gard on a bike at the otherside..

Gardaí rarely do anything in my experience from living here all my life. It's just that junkies cause more problems when you hassle them so gardaí usually avoid them. Case in point: saw a junkie once steal an ice-cream bar. One of the shop keepers came over to him and asked him nicely to put it back. Queue on of the biggest over-acting I've seen in my life.

And it could be that you're just getting older? I'm in my 20s and I've noticed it more since I was about 16 years old and realized people in other places wouldn't find it normal. You were probably just oblivious to it since you were used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Dublin gets fantastic coverage in comparison.

****e hole ?

Kip.

Dive .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fcuk Dublin.

Sh1thole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Merchants Quay?

One the most well known clinics of them all

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Im a bit half and half on it being honest,but one of the reasons i dont think its fair is because of what i encountered in limerick,i think if there are other cities ignored by the media,then it doesnt deal with the problem on a holisitic level,where every town and city is looked at.

OP has had one bad experience in Limerick and suddenly thinks that Dublin gets an unfair rap in relation to Junkies? OP is either seriously deluded or is simply trolling (imo) Limerick has nothing even close to the problems Dublin has with Junkies. FACT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

theres a methadone clinic directly across from Trinity in a laneway off Pearse street. no more than 50 yards from Trinity.

Rango555 wrote: »
    OP has had one bad experience in Limerick and suddenly thinks that Dublin gets an unfair rap in relation to Junkies? OP is either seriously deluded or is simply trolling (imo) Limerick has nothing even close to the problems Dublin has with Junkies. FACT.

Its not just 'one bad experience',anytime im in the city i see junkies everywhere not just hassling me,but other people too,i think its unfair to just only highlight dublin(ya i agree with you there is a junkie problem),when there are other parts of ireland badly affected by drug use such as heroin and alcoholics and cocaine users..Theres plenty of drug abuse in athlone for example or in belfast,theres a lot of it in limerick now at the moment and there wasnt before,even in the small town where im from there is heroin users..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rango555

Its not just 'one bad experience',anytime im in the city i see junkies everywhere not just hassling me,but other people too,i think its unfair to just only highlight dublin(ya i agree with you there is a junkie problem),when there are other parts of ireland badly affected by drug use such as heroin and alcoholics and cocaine users..Theres plenty of drug abuse in athlone for example or in belfast,theres a lot of it in limerick now at the moment and there wasnt before,even in the small town where im from there is heroin users..

I have lived in Limerick my whole life and can honestly say I can count on one hand the amount of times I've seen Junkies around hassling people. There used to be a lot of winos around in the 90's but even they did not hassle people (except for literally only one or two notorious individuals who the courts always seemed to take pity on no matter how serious the charges against them) Every single time I have been to Dublin City I have seen Junkies hassling people. Dublin has a major problem because it is the most densely populated part of our country. There is heroin use outside of Dublin but there is nothing like the problems associated with it that I know of, at least not in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pearce Street drug treatment center is next door to Trinner's and two minutes walk from Grafton St.

I think where the methadone clinics are placed is all wrong,they should be in different parts of the city..

Advertisement