Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Know your boardsies boats!!

• 01-07-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

This thread is a complete copy of others you see around the forums like in motors where lads stick up a few pictures of their cars etc so I thought why dont we give it a go here!
    I havn't asked the mods so lads if there is a problem with having this thread or you want to add any conditions please work away....

I'll be back with a some pics shortly, gota go take a few first!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This is my first home built boat called SEAN-NÓS "old style" and is the boat I'm using at the moment.

IMG_5035-1.jpg

543175_2762334115877_1548335872_n.jpg

SonyCameraJulyAug2010202.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

oh FFS, can someone please explain how to embed a picture??? We have a boat, honest, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to show it off! The link is showing to me in the thread, but no sign of it or the picture when I submit......

ETA - wowee, what a gorgeous boat Fergal!!!

ETA again - great idea for a thread! I'd happily look at boats all day long.

Cacciatore.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's our baby!

Thanks a million Fergal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

fergal.b wrote: »
    This is my first home built boat called SEAN-NÓS "old style" and is the boat I'm using at the moment.

"SHOW OFF" :D
    How does one top that, with my humble, mass produced grp
    dinghy......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

BILD0057.jpg
    my boat through my PhD which one day I'll have to hand back *sigh*

still cant get it to embed...if anyone would like to fix it please do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

"SHOW OFF" :D
    How does one top that, with my humble, mass produced grp
    dinghy......:(

Boats are funny little things it doesn't matter what size shape or style it is they are mostly loved by their owner and thats all that counts. This is an O'sullivan I had for years she broke my heart and the engine broke my fingers trying to pull start it but I had so much fun on this boat to me she was priceless and it was a sad day when I had to sell her:( "Boats make memories and memories are what make the boat" :D

001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Sorry about the delay lads!! Some great pics so far, keep 'em coming!!

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

She's a Powells 33, ex Carrick Craft, driven by a Perkins 4236

Great boat alan, I have been looking at these for a few years now and hope to get one someday and convert to a wheelchair friendly boat as the upper level is the same from the rear deck into the wheelhouse I need a boat that can take two wheelchairs and with a bit of chopping and changing I think the powles 33 will be perfect. When she gets old and tatty give me a call :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

aw lovely boats...totally agree with previous poster about it doesn't matter what type it is, it's the memories that are important!

thanks fergal for embedding it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

my first boat took me all spring to refurbish her but was well worth it, miss her big time.:(

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

Often seen in Cork Harbour!
    csbf1018.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Speed boat - 1996 Fletcher Arrowsport 16 with 2001 75 Merc.

flet3.jpg

Fishing boat - 1991 Orkney Strikeliner with 1991 25 Merc.

DSCF5216.jpg

DSCF4400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bpmdj

tin79 wrote: »
    Speed boat - 1996 Fletcher Arrowsport 16 with 2001 75 Merc.

flet3.jpg

Fishing boat - 1991 Orkney Strikeliner with 1991 25 Merc.

DSCF5216.jpg

DSCF4400.jpg

Looks like a lovely spot - Whereabouts is that?

This is my one - got it last year and am learning huge amounts with it :

IMAG0233.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

bpmdj wrote: »
    Looks like a lovely spot - Whereabouts is that?

Its Minard Bay on the Dingle Penninsula. We didnt launch there the slip is rubbish but came round from dingle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

?cid=68594b8b47ac4065#cid=68594B8B47AC4065&id=68594B8B47AC4065%21198

I hope this works !! Its launched after 6 months on the hard, and I'm not back until next week to play !!!

?cid=68594b8b47ac4065#cid=68594B8B47AC4065&id=68594B8B47AC4065%21199

I've put them on colrow album and they are on the laughing gnomes home social group, its a dead silly place !!

colrow wrote: »
    I've put them on colrow album and they are on the laughing gnomes home social group, its a dead silly place !!

Is this her.

picture.php?albumid=1071&pictureid=13451

picture.php?albumid=1071&pictureid=13450

Thats the Wee Beastie, thanks for putting the pics up, Des O'Connel took her back to her berth for me, He said there was a problem with it in the marina, doing close handed manouvering, the throttle/forward/reverse was playing up and he just had to tie up at the nearest pontoon.

I'm looking forward to getting on it when I get back next Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

thats a nice boat do you do charters with it or just for fishing?

Hi Dav

I'm hoping to do just that when I retire in a year or so, I had a lot of work done to it to bring it up to standard to renew the P5, the hull, stern gear, steering, and co2 engine system has been passed by the DOM, I've just got to make sure the safety gear is all there now. I'll be doing my skippers tickets to get a commercial licence touch wood (taps head) lol

I've added some more pics in my album under folder Boat and on the laughing gnomes home.

Superb work done on it at Fionan Murphys yard on Valentia, the pics show it departing for Cahirciveen Marina.

I saw that Fergal had a rally round the Island earlier this year !!

You have to have an account with skydive to see them:(

I've got a hotmail address and it seems to come free with it 25gb of storage

Fionnuala was inspected by the DoM today, and passed the P5 with flying colours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for an update :D

42293912-02d7-438e-812e-0c77bc5314e5_zps4e50462d.jpg

20130920_162135_zps5ba516ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

Your boats are really nice fergal,

I have a half share in this one:

http://falmouthquaypunt.blogspot.ie/

She will be ready for water next spring :)

kfod wrote: »
    Your boats are really nice fergal,

I have a half share in this one:

http://falmouthquaypunt.blogspot.ie/

She will be ready for water next spring :)

Very Very nice I love to see these old girls getting the love they deserve fair play to you, keep us posted on her. " bet you love sanding":D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

Cheers Fergal, she is a beauty alright. The sanding is ok, it's the scraping off 100 year old lead based paint I like the most!!
    Adrian, the fella who is the other owner (and who does most of the work :) ) keeps the blog up to date religiously so it's worth a look every now and again.

kfod wrote: »
    Cheers Fergal, she is a beauty alright. The sanding is ok, it's the scraping off 100 year old lead based paint I like the most!!
    Adrian, the fella who is the other owner (and who does most of the work :) ) keeps the blog up to date religiously so it's worth a look every now and again.

Reading through the blog at the moment, I could be here for a while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

This is my family boat

mH8IkAHzzvSPQM27wHGVQHAqR6VK9Vz7k29mKvXGIA0_zpsdcb7d831.jpeg
    Lady K - 2003 Bayliner 285 with a Merc 350 MAG

This is my fun boat

4963297858_59566be2c3_q_zps6745a647.jpg

Shamu - 2005 Shakepeare 23 Sportsfish with a 150HP Johnson (engine cover is not the original)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

BOLD SPIRIT.jpg

This our beauty. Can't embed sorry guys

BOLDSPIRIT_zps971b5cf6.jpg

Cheers for embeding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

boldspirit wrote: »
    BOLD SPIRIT.jpg

This our beauty. Can't embed sorry guys

BOLDSPIRIT_zps971b5cf6.jpg

Cheers for embeding

Birchwood 33?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

My GP14 racing last April

BJikwXDCUAAEtyZ.jpg

And on dry land the day I bought her

A1O-uQPCYAAbfpf.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Conchir wrote: »
    My GP14 racing last April

Is that one of the older GPs Conchir?

I've been crewing in one that is 44 years old!

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that one of the older GPs Conchir?

I've been crewing in one that is 44 years old!

Yep, it was built between 1963 and 65 afaik

She's in fairly decent condition too, though definitely not a racer. Slightly overweight :D But I love her anyway.

There's a very good number of old ones still sailing regularly, that's for sure. How are you finding it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yep, it was built between 1963 and 65 afaik

She's in fairly decent condition too, though definitely not a racer. Slightly overweight :D But I love her anyway.

There's a very good number of old ones still sailing regularly, that's for sure. How are you finding it?

FUN :) Myself and another relative newbie are helm/crew, he owns it, and we are slowly getting to know the boat, and trust it and are learning to work together :)

Plan is to get the spinny up and running for next year, but it's a lovely boat to be in. I initially hated the way the kicker got in my way, but have adapted. I like the solidity of it if that makes any sense? Kinda like being on a squib? No sense that you will be in for a swim at the slightest gust?

We are half hoping to aim for the nationals next year in the classic section I think?

Stheno wrote: »
    Plan is to get the spinny up and running for next year, but it's a lovely boat to be in. I initially hated the way the kicker got in my way, but have adapted. I like the solidity of it if that makes any sense? Kinda like being on a squib? No sense that you will be in for a swim at the slightest gust?

We are half hoping to aim for the nationals next year in the classic section I think?

They're great fun to sail I think. As you say, they're quite stable, but they can be challenging too, I've been out a few times and spent the whole time hiking hard, helm and crew fully out.

It's the largest boat I've ever sailed, except one race crewing a Puppeteer. I find the crew space on a GP to be pretty comfortable and spacious in dinghy terms :D

The Nationals would definitely be do-able. The Classic Fleets are a great idea, there is such a big difference between the classics and the modern ones. The GP circuit is very friendly too!

They're great fun to sail I think. As you say, they're quite stable, but they can be challenging too, I've been out a few times and spent the whole time hiking hard, helm and crew fully out.

It's the largest boat I've ever sailed, except one race crewing a Puppeteer. I find the crew space on a GP to be pretty comfortable and spacious in dinghy terms :D

The Nationals would definitely be do-able. The Classic Fleets are a great idea, there is such a big difference between the classics and the modern ones. The GP circuit is very friendly too!

Sounds good :) Being new to sailing and getting used to the boats, we are losing time to other more experienced crews in terms of lines we take (dunno if that makes sense) but as well we are not hiking as much as other crews so not getting that advantage of keeping the boat flat.

The two of us get on great though, and spend ages on mail after a day out discussing what we can do better/different and we tend to be very good about acknowledging where we went wrong and what we can do differently.

I've been out a few times in a squib, and in a 28 footer, so to me it's a small boat, but I really really like it :)Possibly as much due to the helm I crew for as we work really well together? Just a good partnership or perhaps two idiots at the same level? :D

We've also sailed together in a laser vago (evil, ready to tip over for any reason boats) and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Birchwood 33?

She sure is Simona, have her about 10 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

This is my boat off Dublin. Great thread, nice to see what boats other people have.

SANY0222_zps3b22d53e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 IreJohn

Yawlboy wrote: »
    This is my family boat

mH8IkAHzzvSPQM27wHGVQHAqR6VK9Vz7k29mKvXGIA0_zpsdcb7d831.jpeg
    Lady K - 2003 Bayliner 285 with a Merc 350 MAG

This is my fun boat

4963297858_59566be2c3_q_zps6745a647.jpg

Shamu - 2005 Shakepeare 23 Sportsfish with a 150HP Johnson (engine cover is not the original)

Any pics on the work ongoing on the boat you needed the elm for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

loads and loads of them - she might have some original timber left ;-) - I'll try and get a gallery together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

This was my lovely Hunter that I sold. Need to replace with another floating toy for next year - even though I said I wouldnt!

This is a great public slip for people in Cork by the way. Quiet with no pressure.

P1000212_zps9039784c.jpg

Advertisement