Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning traffic with Volvo race

Options
  • 01-07-2012 4:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    My wife has an important appointment at 9.45 in Barna on Tue morning, with the race on and the extra people/traffic in Galway is there a major difference increase in time required to get from Headford road to that side of the city in the morning?

Thanks v much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

yop wrote: »
    Hi,
    My wife has an important appointment at 9.45 in Barna on Tue morning, with the race on and the extra people/traffic in Galway is there a major difference increase in time required to get from Headford road to that side of the city in the morning?

Thanks v much.

Assuming she is going via Westside, I would definitely add an extra 15 minutes onto the journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If she normally cycles, I'd say prepare for heavy rain with wet gear and maybe add an extra five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

It's quite obvious the OP is referring to motor traffic. But thanks for keeping everyone abreast of cyclist movements whether they wanted to know it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If you can afford to add an extra half hour for this important meeting I definitely would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Avoid west side. Come across the bridge, turn left, turn into petrol station, back out and head towards dangan, take the left after dangan heights and go all the way to the clybaun hotel, turn right and down cappagh road, will be a lot quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Seaneh wrote: »
    Avoid west side. Come across the bridge, turn left, turn into petrol station, back out and head towards dangan, take the left after dangan heights and go all the way to the clybaun hotel, turn right and down cappagh road, will be a lot quicker.

That's a good idea, but not full directions.
    The left after Dangan Heights is Circular Road, so you need to go to the end of that road, take a right, all the way to the crossroads, a left & straight then until you get to Clybaun Hotel.

Alternatively, go out further, & first left past the church (before Keelehans pub). At the end of that road, take a left, straight through until you get to Clybaun Hotel.

From there, right at the roundabout, all the way out to Cappagh Road, left down to the Bearna road & you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Seriously, it's that bad? If only there was some sort of extra lane which could be opened to alleviate traffic...

newkie wrote: »
    Seriously, it's that bad? If only there was some sort of extra lane which could be opened to alleviate traffic...

And completely negate the entire point of opening those lanes (improve public transport services)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If the OP's wife is a two-wheeler fan, she would'nt have to go through all that. She could use the normal route. :cool:

snubbleste wrote: »
    If the OP's wife is a two-wheeler fan, she would'nt have to go through all that. She could use the normal route. :cool:

Ah yeah, I cycle and it's fierce quick across that way. New road and cycle path are ate up by road tyres.

• Advertisement

And completely negate the entire point of opening those lanes (improve public transport services)?

Yes.

Should those lanes really sit empty except for the odd bus every 30 minutes? We didn't wait a year and waste all that money just so taxis could speed by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

But if you took the bus you'd speed past the traffic the whole idea of having bus lanes in the first place. And while people sit in their cars and can't figure out why traffic isn't moving the problem will continue.

newkie wrote: »
    Yes.

Should those lanes really sit empty except for the odd bus every 30 minutes? We didn't wait a year and waste all that money just so taxis could speed by us.

That's exactly why you waited a year.

The point was to encourage public transport and installation of cycle lanes.

The more people use the bus services the more the services will be expanded and the more the lanes will be used.

Opening the lanes will just lead to more and more cars on the road and you are just back to square one, what's your bright idea then? Widen the road again?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, it's starting in this thread too :D

So yop, did she get there on time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Does the OP's wife not live in Castlebar? If so, what would she be doing on a bicycle?:D

Opening the lanes will just lead to more and more cars on the road and you are just back to square one, what's your bright idea then? Widen the road again?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

That's exactly why you waited a year.

The point was to encourage public transport and installation of cycle lanes.

The more people use the bus services the more the services will be expanded and the more the lanes will be used.
    From Headford Road to Barna?
    I don't know...maybe build a bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Does the OP's wife not live in Castlebar? If so, what would she be doing on a bicycle?:D

Blasphemy, bikes are the answer to all our infrastructural issues in Ireland according to the well informed minority on this forum who conveniently happen to live within cycle distance of work and neccessary facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

churchview wrote: »
    I don't know...maybe build a bypass?
    Lol motorists, bikes, lanes and now the bypass.

This thread now officially has all the components to get everyone really riled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    Lol motorists, bikes, lanes and now the bypass.

This thread now officially has all the components to get everyone really riled up.

:D

All that's missing is some "hoodies" bushing on the central reservations...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

churchview wrote: »
    :D

All that's missing is some "hoodies" bushing on the central reservations...

Don't forget the fireworks. And the noise, arghhhh, the noise!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

zarquon wrote: »
    Blasphemy, bikes are the answer to all our infrastructural issues in Ireland according to the well informed minority on this forum who conveniently happen to live within cycle distance of work and neccessary facilities.

I live 16 miles from work and whilst I don't cycle everyday I at least cycle 3-4 days out of the week ( I drive the other days). It was lovely yesterday flowing along the cycle lane (granted in the rain) whilst the traffic was at a stand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Bus lanes should be open to traffic off peak. There are delays on this section of this road regardless of time of day. Its a complete farce. This is an east west link and public transport, while should be encouraged for local commuters, is not suitable for all.

Advertisement