Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Leaving Cert - subjects - external student

• 01-07-2012 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Having decided that I will repeat the 6 subjects for the leaving for next year. I'm having difficulty deciding what subjects to pick that do not require projects. Not doing Maths as this would be my weakest subject and will not be doing history as detest it.

I've never done Economics so not sure how diff that would be at honours level?

English h
    Business h
    Biology h
    Economics h

Is it possible to do geography without a project? I did it back a while ago and there was no project then.

What other options do I have? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'm pretty sure you'll have to do a project for Geography, and I think you may need to get that signed by a teacher, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭shinesun

Thanks. Would love if could do ag science & home ec but they both have projects/ assignments.

What other subjects do not involve projects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

phys chem is very manageable in one year and doesn't require any project. its way easier than pure physics or chemistry and since the course is so short there is only so much they can ask, many people do it in one year and get the A1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Does biology not require a lab book that needs to be signed off by a teacher? Phys-chem is easy if you're anyway decent at maths and have a reasonable understanding of chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

Biology does not require a experiment/practical book, but both Physics and Chemistry do.

I am 95% sure that the Grography Project had to be signed by a teacher.
    Avoid History like the Plague. (it also involves a project that must be signed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

The geography project is pretty easy, if a bit tedious. My year had a physchem class and I think there was an experiment book?

Geo isn't easy anymore though, the first 3ish years of the course were but this year and last year were brutal and probably not doable in a year if you did the old course.

But I've heard Economics is easy. :)

Cheers thanks, will rule out geog, physchem, physics and chemistry.

So have business, biology, economics and English. Be great if could do a diff subject I instead of English but have no choice.

So I just need two more subjects that do not require projects. ?
    Is there even any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

shinesun wrote: »
    Cheers thanks, will rule out geog and physchem then.

So have business, biology, economics and English. Be great if could do a diff subject I instead of English but have no choice.

So I just need two more subjects that do not require projects. ?

That's difficult because the remaining subjects require practicals, projects and orals.
    What about a language? I think only Accounting is left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I would just do home ec the project is not that hard! you could probably do it yourself , and it doesnt need to be signed by a teacher

Cheers will def do home ec then. What does project involve? Back in my day there was no project.!

• Advertisement

iMMer5ion wrote: »
    That's difficult because the remaining subjects require practicals, projects and orals.
    What about a language? I think only Accounting is left?

I'm thinking ag science if can get a teacher to sign off on project.
    Won't be doing accounting, just read other thread on it.

So would have :

Home Ec ??
    Ag Science ??
    Business
    English
    Economics
    Biology

Hi Amy, are you sure the journal does not have to be completed under the supervision of teacher and she/ he has to sign off on it.
    Dont think will be able to do as think journals would have to be handed in last October. Is this the same with ag science ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Physics and chemistry doesn't have an experiment book, by the way. I reckon it's a good subject to study, pretty easy to manage. :)

Thanks , will prob have to do physics and chemistry then.
    Can anyone confirm that physics and chemistry do not require assignments?
    There seems to be varying opinions. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Thanks , will prob have to do physics and chemistry then.
    Can anyone confirm that physics and chemistry do not require assignments?
    There seems to be varying opinions. Thanks again.

iv just done the leaving, phys chem does not require an assignment or for experiments to be logged into a book. it all comes down to how you perform on the day, you dont have your 20 or 25 percent already got

Thank a mil. Physics and chemistry individually, is there a project for them?
    Someone mentioned earlier there was an experiment book.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Biology, physics,chemistry & phy/chem do not require any projects etc. So very easy for an external students. There is a log book however, but they never ask external students to produce theirs. And even if they did it only requires writing out experiments that are in the book anyhow.

You wont be able to do ag science, home ec or geography as a teacher will have to sign off on your work, which has to be complete under their supervision :( Unless your very friendly with a teacher who doesn't mind ???

Thanks a mil borrch for clearing that up. Unfortunately not friendly with any teachers.!:o will give those subjects my best shot anyway.
    Hope everything goes well for you. Thanks again.

Ventured into Easons today and got the Biology text book by Michael O'Callaghan. Daunting to think going back after 13 years to do it again!

Had a look at the chemistry book by Declan Kennedy. Looks clear but got a bit scared and put it back hee!! Maybe if I studied it would not be too bad.
    Would it be easier to get a better grade in accounting? Bear in mind my Maths would be pass level.
    Is there negative marking in chemistry and accounting?

I've decided going to do

Business
    Economics
    Biology
    Geography ( will do in pearse college by night)
    English
    Chemistry? Accounting? ( not sure which)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Ventured into Easons today and got the Biology text book by Michael O'Callaghan. Daunting to think going back after 13 years to do it again!

Had a look at the chemistry book by Declan Kennedy. Looks clear but got a bit scared and put it back hee!! Maybe if I studied it would not be too bad.
    Would it be easier to get a better grade in accounting? Bear in mind my Maths would be pass level.
    Is there negative marking in chemistry and accounting?

I've decided going to do

Business
    Economics
    Biology
    Geography ( will do in pearse college by night)
    English
    Chemistry? Accounting? ( not sure which)

There is no negative marking in chemistry or accounting. I find accounting easier but this will vary from person to person. Pass maths is grand for both accounting and chemistry. have you any idea of the course you want?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Hoping to do occupational therapy so need one science subject anyway.
    I need to get high marks in everything really:(. Will be applying as a mature student also.
    Really would love to do ag science or home ec instead of English but looks doubtful as vecs don't tend to do these subjects.
    What do you guys think of English? What I'm thinking as everyone's answer will be a little different would it be better to do ag science instead where it's more rote learning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

hey ,
    well the teacher did not sign any of our booklets in my class , then she sent then all off together so maybe she signed something when she sent them all off when i didn't see? but i didn't think she had to sign anything...
    yea.. you are right i forgot you have to have it in by october :/
    thats unfortunate as home ec was my favourite subject and very easy!
    Sorry i couldn't help you more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Really would love to do ag science

http://www.ashfieldcollege.ie/?page_id=969 Ashfield College terenure do ag sci as an extra subject for external students. Pricey though.

Advertisement