Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All seasons flowering hedge

Options
  • 01-07-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting this All Season Flowering Hedge from Littlewoods.

My front hedge is in rag order after getting rid of the wild blackberry that was growing though it and will take years to fill in the voids that the blackberry was taking up so maybe I should see it as an opportunity to do something a bit more interesting there.

Anyone here have something similar, does it look a little naff? My front hedge is about 7 meters long so 5 plants should be enough to fill it in within a few years I would hope.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Personally,that wouldnt be for me.

It just doesnt look right to me,but everyone has different likes and tastes.

Have you looked at a complete new hedge and planting in bare root form?

Many many different hedges to choose from,and in bareroot form,they are very cheap for a bundle of 25 bareroots,about 20-25 euro for a bundle beech,hornbeam,hawthorn,laurel and others...:)

A bundle of 25-30 bareroots would be enough to make a nice new 7 meter long hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

the photo used in the ad is a bit disingenuous as the plants do not flower all at the same time for the whole of spring and autumn and the plants are seriously mature.

It takes 8-10 years to establish a hedge anyway so patience unless you want to invest in mature plants.

What is your existing hedge made up of and what sort of space is around it, photos would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Oldtree wrote: »
    the photo used in the ad is a bit disingenuous as the plants do not flower all at the same time for the whole of spring and autumn and the plants are seriously mature.

Yeah, I would think that could be classed a bit as false advertising, It doesn't make it clear the flowering times really even in the blurb.

OP, I like the concept of year round interest but personally wouldn't use what they have chosen as I don't think some work well as a hedge. Also, they are quite expensive really for the size you're getting.

It'd be better for you to go to a garden center/nursery directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I'd be inclined to agree with the others. None of those plants are typical "hedge" plants and wouldn't really combine well together.
    As specimens they might be fine, but not in combination -- and for continuous interest - foliage, flowers, berries, bark - you could do a lot better.
    A selection of bare rooted hedging next winter/spring could be your answer - any good garden centre should be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've seen a few places with hedges that have red and green leaves that looked very nice, might give that a go.

Here's the hedge in question, its pretty scraggly anyhow as I had to cut it back severely when I bought the house as it was completely overgrown - you couldn't even walk on the pavement there before, quite a mess, any suggestions welcome.

211715.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heres a thread about hedging that might give you a few ideas.

Plenty of pictures and advice on how to plant it in bare root form too.:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79364359

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056675877

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you could always hack these ones back by a half and see if they bush out for you, after a good feed, if not replant.

whatever you decide to do, plant the next plants back a bit from the pavement to allow them some room to grow and to form the hedge face without intruding on the pavement.

Advertisement