Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spuds robbed?

Options
  • 01-07-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

I planted some spuds around march about 15 min away from my house and checked them every 2-3 weeks.Went back today and it looks like the ground has being dug and no sign of my spuds:confused:.Are people that stuck the have to rob another mans spuds or could it be animals?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Snowc wrote: »
    I planted some spuds around march about 15 min away from my house and checked them every 2-3 weeks.Went back today and it looks like the ground has being dug and no sign of my spuds:confused:.Are people that stuck the have to rob another mans spuds or could it be animals?

Unless the likes of a cow,sheep,or fox has rapidly evolved and mastered the use of using a potato fork,then I suspect that it might be humans that dug them up.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Fecking potato rustlers!.

Next it will be onion rustlers.

Then the cabbages will be kidnaped and held for ransom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

given the price of firewood it wont be long till they start on the trees in the garden!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

There is an old law going back to the time of the famine that if a family are hungry and they see a field of spuds they can help them self's to a meal or so my grand father use to tell me it all dates back to the time of the big land lords but I am not suggesting you start steeling spuds today as i don't think it would stand up in court nowdays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Great to see people get a good laugh off my misfortune .....
    kerryted wrote: »
    There is an old law going back to the time of the famine that if a family are hungry and they see a field of spuds they can help them self's to a meal or so my grand father use to tell me it all dates back to the time of the big land lords but I am not suggesting you start steeling spuds today as i don't think it would stand up in court nowdays

Don't think it would,its a pity landmines aren't available to purchase here,it might make people think twice before stealing a person dinner :mad:

Don't think it would,its a pity landmines aren't available to purchase here,it might make people think twice before stealing a person dinner :mad:

I dont think that was anyones intention here and I certainly didnt read that into any of the posts so please dont take it like that. I for one would take to task anyone that decided to help themselves to my spuds, or anything else in my garden for that matter.

But theft is on the increase especially small stuff, in particular metal. My sister in laws shed on an allotment in dublin was bust open and all her tools taken. Here in mayo a nearby house was being built and all the metal was taken 3 times during construction. Some people will stoop very low.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

I stole a half dozen eggs from lidl last xmas

kegzmc wrote: »
    I stole a half dozen eggs from lidl last xmas

They let the bankers off after ruining this country but they would send you to prison for that if they caught you, might be best to delete that last comment for your own safety.

Oldtree wrote: »
    They let the bankers off after ruining this country but they would send you to prison for that if they caught you, .

Thats exactly what my father in law to be were talking about yesterday.

We were chatting about a certain Mr Sean Quinn and his family.:rolleyes::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have been concerned about this happening to my spuds. And no more than the Cork man who thought every other sod of turf had been stolen on him when he visited his bank after it drying, I was half wondering had someone visited my plot with the yield I got. Which I am assured was a good one, but I am never happy anyway, always wanting to do better :D If someone were to rob my spuds I have an idea of what I'd do next year, but it's something I'd get in trouble for if I say here so I won't! Above anything I hate a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what my father in law to be were talking about yesterday.

We were chatting abour a certain Mr Quinn and his family.:rolleyes::mad:

Niall Quinn, Roy Keane should've torn him a new arsehole after he let Shergar get shot in that robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Heard this one before but no one was able to point out the actual law to me. With the Celtic Tiger Building Boom, around me you have new estates surrounded by fields of veg and the above law started to do the rounds. So at weekends even before the recession the starving famine victims living in their 500k houses would descend on the fields at weekends to get free cabbages and spuds like a swarm of locusts. The local farmers don't mind someone going through a field after its been harvest and about to be rotovated but the above was taking the urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

A landmine in retaliation for a few spuds op?
    Are you Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Not in retaliation but as a warning.People can steal and know there is no danger to doing it.Maybe next year I will put up a sign which might help keep robbers at bay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

tinkers used to steal our onions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just saw your thread and was sorry you lost your spuds. I am in Dublin and just try growing veg in the garden so safe enough. But I used to visit allotments and chat to the gardeners there as they are a very friendly bunch and happy to pass on advice. However, lately I noticed some of the council allotments are now behind locked gates and they are not accessible which is a pity but this is due to thieving of veggies I think. Shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Absolutely gut wrenching to have this happen...I know :(
    Unfortunately even if caught in the act the robbers can't be got for stealing, only trespass. if they are already dug then (and who leaves them after digging them?) then this is stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Sorry to hear that OP, some low lifes out there. Next time you should put a good electric fence all around at two levels. Might help. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Sorry to hear that OP, some low lifes out there. Next time you should put a good electric fence all around at two levels. Might help. Good luck.
    Alas the fencer and battery (remote site) would also disappear, have experienced this as well :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 pneireland

If your landmine went off you'd have had your chips :)
    .....i'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

pneireland wrote: »
    If your landmine went off you'd have had your chips :)
    .....i'll get me coat.

I was waiting for something like that to be posted!:D Poor OP!

Advertisement