Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Toronto

Options
  • 01-07-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I'm planning on moving to Toronto in the next three months on the IEC programme, however, I'm just wondering how much money would be sufficient enough to go on, I currently have around €3,000 but I still have to pay for flights and buy insurance, I also pay rent and have another three monthly salaries coming to me but I will be paying rent after getting each of those too and it looks like in the end I will have just over €5,000, can anyone tell me who has ever moved to Toronto would this be sufficient or would a lot more be needed, it's my first time doing this so I'm a little nervous incase I won't have enough

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Tomazas

Jeez mate it's loadz, work wise it depends what you are doing and what you would like to. But I can guarantee it will not take much time to get a job if you will look for it. Best of luck with your venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

u will be fine with that if u need any advise etc let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

5k should be enough for 1. If you are renting a place by yourself remember you will be paying a months rent as deposot and your first months rent in advance. Plus the majority of places are unfurnished so that will be costing you a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Hi, me and my boyfriend are going in three weeks and have 3000 each. I've heard it's more expensive than we might expect but it depends on where we live. any ideas of cheap places to live in Toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

eim wrote: »
    Hi, me and my boyfriend are going in three weeks and have 3000 each. I've heard it's more expensive than we might expect but it depends on where we live. any ideas of cheap places to live in Toronto?

Hi there, the only information I have is the following website:

http://www.hostelworld.com/

This gives u information on where to stay when u first arrive because I think looking for something more long-term can be done when you're over there. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

Great, thanks! Weve booked a hostel for the forst week! So were grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im told there's very little work in toronto, not sure if that'll affect your decision but definitely do some serious looking into it before choosing here - depending on what you want from your stay

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

bpoleary wrote: »
    I'm planning on moving to Toronto in the next three months on the IEC programme, however, I'm just wondering how much money would be sufficient enough to go on, I currently have around €3,000 but I still have to pay for flights and buy insurance, I also pay rent and have another three monthly salaries coming to me but I will be paying rent after getting each of those too and it looks like in the end I will have just over €5,000, can anyone tell me who has ever moved to Toronto would this be sufficient or would a lot more be needed, it's my first time doing this so I'm a little nervous incase I won't have enough

are you over there if so how are you finding it did it take long to get work and how did you find getting some were to live also whats it like there

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

slim1919 wrote: »
    are you over there if so how are you finding it did it take long to get work and how did you find getting some were to live also whats it like there
    Hi there, it's a really nice city, it's great to come here for a short stay, but in regards to finding work here, it takes so long and I hear that the best way to get work is keep talking to people inside the workplaces which could be really busy at times you might be hard to get to talk to someone. There's a page on facebook called Irish and new in Toronto where people post queries and people help them out even though the last time I looked people were just being insulting to a post that was recently put up. I've been here nearly four weeks now and I've kind of lost interest in being here long-term because the wait for jobs is frustrating, some people do find work but with others it takes a long time. I'm actually considering going to England now instead of staying here for the whole year because I like the part of England that I was in before I came here

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭slim1919

bpoleary wrote: »
    Hi there, it's a really nice city, it's great to come here for a short stay, but in regards to finding work here, it takes so long and I hear that the best way to get work is keep talking to people inside the workplaces which could be really busy at times you might be hard to get to talk to someone. There's a page on facebook called Irish and new in Toronto where people post queries and people help them out even though the last time I looked people were just being insulting to a post that was recently put up. I've been here nearly four weeks now and I've kind of lost interest in being here long-term because the wait for jobs is frustrating, some people do find work but with others it takes a long time. I'm actually considering going to England now instead of staying here for the whole year because I like the part of England that I was in before I came here

No way so you don't like it? ye I know that page on facebook been following it a good while now was very helpful but just seems like a buy and sell page now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

My friend was in torento and taught the same l he came home in augest and went back to coll he said he found the city so big and soo hard to get work he ended up in calgary and said it was a lot easier to get work so might be sumthin to bear in mind lads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 meehan12345

im looking to move to toronto in the next few months looking to live a party life for a while along with get a good job in the construction industry would you recommend it as the place to go,or where else in canada would be a good place?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Calgary Is the place to go for construction mate and it has good nightlife I no mates who found it hard ta make it work they want to Calgary and are now making good coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    My friend was in torento and taught the same l he came home in augest and went back to coll he said he found the city so big and soo hard to get work he ended up in calgary and said it was a lot easier to get work so might be sumthin to bear in mind lads:D

I think that really general, non-specific ideas can throw people off. People read this and get disheartened. I think the type of work is critical in explaining and it's important to remember that people put it a wide variance in the amount of effort and preparation. Google RTE news, about 2 days ago the Irish government said young Irish people keep arriving in Canada with 1 month's living expenses and go bust. If that were 'my friend' it would suggest there is no work.

My friend from school lives in Toronto, Ontario. She works in H.R. in a communications company. She has an arts degree. She got work within a couple of months and has been living there for about 2 years now.

In a general sense, most of the people on here with degrees (especially business and law, but others too) are heading to the biggest cities, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Trades people keep mentioning Calgary and northern towns in Alberta province.

Advertisement