Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - what is the best thing about it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Cork was once great, then the littls ****ty teenagers, and people who stab others all the time came along and wait ohh the council fecking thiungs up.,

Mind you I want to restore my faith in cork, going to go do all those museums and tours see if tis actually intersting..I went to the Gaol and becuase it ws free it was good but if i had to pay i would be wondering why...I was more intersted in getting into next door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair, little ratboys and girls are popping up everywhere, not just here. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think Patrick St is the finest main throughfare in the country. Really beautiful buildings and they did a fine job in renovating it. Much more appealing than the main streets of other cities.

Contrast this in Cork...

Cork-StPatricksStreet_wikipedia.jpg

with this in Limerick...

55088544.101_0118.jpg

It would be even better again if they could fully pedestrianise it, but i know that probably is a non-runner due to the needs of delivery vans.

One of my last trips out with my late Mum was to bring her on a little spin to see the the rejuvenated Patrick Street, 'tis very nice in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭applehunter

The curry sauce in our chippers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

As a blow-in, which l am eternally bound to be.......allegedly!!! May I add my two cents worth......am from Galway, which (I'm sorry to all concerned), but it is a fact...those living in the city of Galway have easier access to beaches than in Cork. Drove for an eternity to get to Rocky Bay....???
    Granted West Cork is beautiful, as is west Connemara- both are very similar.
    HOWEVER.....Having lived in both, Galway is waaaayy more chilled and relaxed than Cork...completely different vibe, as we don't have a Northside/Southside divide.
    Asforesaid....two cents worth...

..................am from Galway, which (I'm sorry to all concerned), but it is a fact...those living in the city of Galway have easier access to beaches than in Cork........................................ Galway is waaaayy more chilled and relaxed than Cork...completely different vibe, as we don't have a Northside/Southside divide.

Worked in Galway for a year up to Mar 2010, I'd agree with you 100%, a wonderful spot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As a blow-in, which l am eternally bound to be.......allegedly!!! May I add my two cents worth......am from Galway, which (I'm sorry to all concerned), but it is a fact...those living in the city of Galway have easier access to beaches than in Cork. Drove for an eternity to get to Rocky Bay....???
    Granted West Cork is beautiful, as is west Connemara- both are very similar.
    HOWEVER.....Having lived in both, Galway is waaaayy more chilled and relaxed than Cork...completely different vibe, as we don't have a Northside/Southside divide.
    Asforesaid....two cents worth..
    I'm also a blow-in. For me, Galway is great, but has too many hippies and tourists, it's too 'party central', there never seems to be any normal down time. It doesn't have the buzz of a city, more that of a big town. Not knocking it, it's a lovely place to visit, and no sounder people will you meet. But to live in, i'd choose Cork for the above reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

grenache wrote: »
    I'm also a blow-in. For me, Galway is great, but has too many hippies and tourists, it's too 'party central', there never seems to be any normal down time. It doesn't have the buzz of a city, more that of a big town. Not knocking it, it's a lovely place to visit, and no sounder people will you meet. But to live in, i'd choose Cork for the above reasons.

Great point. Never considered it from the 'blow-in' point of view! Welcome to my world buddy!
    Cork grand, do find the 'my granny,mother,me,my daughter went there and so will all that follow' a bit hairy.....

Just lonely for Galway after the Ocean Race ...ah the sea, the sea.....not near me in Cork girl!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I bought my dog from cork ' aaagghh he,s lovely ' bought my other dog from kerry ' shes lovely also'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Atlantis was just off the Cork coast so when it sank into the sea the survivors made their way here and we are the descendants of that great race of super beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

darkman2 wrote: »
    So what do you find great about Cork?
    One thing I love about the city are the hills, they give a feeling of space. In a flat city all you see is the street you are on but hills give a wider perspective and feeling of openness and freshness, not to mention some of the views from the tops of the hills, especially with early morning fog rolling through the valleys, classy.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

It's not too big, it's not too small, it's just right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I think it's the people and the accent that make Cork so special. Nothing beats the 'pure Cork' people for 'the accent, boy' and Cork peoples' turn of phrase. Every time I come back to Cork it's the first thing that hits me, and it's only when you're back that you realise how much you miss that accent and turn of phrase.

I love the way people call each other 'boy' and 'gurl', and there are other turns of phrase you'll only ever hear in Cork.

The insistance of everyone in Cork of calling things by their old name is also highly amusing, Cork people still talk about 'the number 2 bus' even though it's been called the '202' since November last year!

And then there's 'da Colosseum', I mean how long has it been called Leisureplex, like:D?

The one thing that lets Cork down though is the whole clubbishness of it, people are friends with the same ones they went to school with all their lives. Galway is totally different, people are so much more outward looking up there, although it doesn't feel like a city the way Cork does. On the other hand, I love the way Salthill is basically part of the city - you have to go miles out in Cork to get to a beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

You can travel the whole world over, but you can't beat the talent walking down Patrick street on a sunny day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Satts wrote: »
    You can travel the whole world over, but you can't beat the talent walking down Patrick street on a sunny day. :)

Surely you mean Pana not Patrick Street :pac:?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

On the other hand, I love the way Salthill is basically part of the city - you have to go miles out in Cork to get to a beach.

Nah, you just have to get the bus to Fountna.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I find it strange that someone who dislikes Corkonians bothers to browse through the Cork City forum. As for your spelling and grammar.....:eek:
    I live in Cork and my boyfriend is from Cork !! I was joking - everyplace has its downfalls - !! and if my spelling and grammar is so bad best get on to UCC Cork cos they gave me 1.1. in my thesis !!!!

Advertisement