Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird o2 bill?

• 01-07-2012 6:00pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hello,

I had an 18 month contract 4 years ago with o2. The contract expired and I just continued with them.
    Its for an internet modem, 20 euro per month.
    In Jan my 2 yr old broke the modem and I decided not to replace it. Direct debit but Bank account was also empty at that time apart for 10 euro which they billed me at end of Jan, and got.
    Now, payment was always 1 month in advance so I figured they would cut the service upon non payment and no one would loose,
    Frankly I had a lot more on my mind and didn't bother with it.
    On Friday a bill arrived for 90 euro.
    Now there was no usage whatsoever since Jan. In the letter they also said they still hadnt cut me off? Didnt I read somewhere that after 2 weeks of non payment o2 cuts people off?
    Anyway, apparently, Im still connected, 6 months after I stopped paying.
    In the letter they say they rang me. They didnt.
    In the letter they say they tried to contact me. They didnt.
    In the letter they say they text me. They didnt.
    Also, from reading it I get the impression they think I have a mobile phone, not broadband.
    In the letter they say they will disconnect my phone. I have no phone with them.
    They threaten further action.

Thoughts?

Tks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You never cancelled the service, you should have called, emailed them to say you no longer wanted to use their services. Letting a direct debit bounce is not how you end a contract and it's not good for your credit rating with the bank either. You owe the €90 and should now call them to cancel the account if your not going to be using it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As drunkmonkey mentioned you didn't cancel the service, instead you assumed that non-payment would cancel it for you and you'd owe nothing. O2 are well within their rights to go after you for payment in this instance.

You shouldn't have assumed that what you did would cancel your service based on something you've read somewhere, how you cancel your service is outlined in the Terms & Conditions of the service you used.

If you didn't follow them you didn't fulfill your responsibilities as part of the contract your agreed to, none usage of the service does not mean that O2 should not get their subscription charges for the months that you didn't use it for.

• Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭eamon11

o my God,

you both are so right.

I am so sorry.

I will call first thing, apoligize profusely and pay it on the spot.

Thanks guys, you are such a wonderful help.

keep up the helpful comments.

Advertisement