Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused About My Nationality (Irish or English?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

You are British.

Hey Kieth! How come he's not English?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

commiserations your english whether u like it or not or whether england like u or not. worship the queen forever more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

do you enjoy your full breakfast with or without beans!

The answer is key to your identity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

And another thing also is that if I ever get into a relationship (which seems a like a million miles off right now) with a protestant girl here, wouldn't that be strictly a mixed marriage?

I've always thought about that, that maybe some protestant father who opposes that sort of thing, despite my English accent might see me as a fenian underneath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

And another thing also is that if I ever get into a relationship (which seems a like a million miles off right now) with a protestant girl here, wouldn't that be strictly a mixed marriage?

I've always thought about that, that maybe some protestant father who opposes that sort of thing, despite my English accent might see me as a fenian underneath?

Are you winding us up mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

OP, you are Irish, English a Troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Follow confused poster. Born in England to two very Irish families. Brought up Irish in England basically, never held an English passport, always Irish, and spent every year here for the whole of the summer holidays.

Then I moved over here at 16 and I was treated like an English person in Ireland. Culture shock!

Neeson wrote: »
    Are you winding us up mate?

No I had a protestant workmate from Fermanagh (born again, DUP voter) who told me that.

So I assume protestant parents might secretly see me as a fenian, some of them would I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

But I do not, cannot and will never feel it. I have no afinity due to my childhood experiances and upbringing.

You are born to Irish parents, therefore you are Irish. Doesn't matter where you are born, could be outer fucking Mongolia,once you are born to Irish parents, you are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

AS that great "English" man, the Duke of Wellington once said, "just because you are born in a stable doesn't make you a horse".

Op, be whatever you are comfortable with and f&%k the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Born in England to Irish(born) parents and moved here at 11 so have lived here 29 years. I consider myself to be Irish and hold an Irish passport but It's not something I spend a lot of time agonizing about or indeed, about whether others consider me Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

chughes wrote: »
    AS that great "English" man, the Duke of Wellington once said, "just because you are born in a stable doesn't make you a horse".

Op, be whatever you are comfortable with and f&%k the begrudgers.

That's a myth. Daniel O'Connell said that referring to him, but he never uttered those words himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I admit I was a proud plastic paddy.... A lot of my childhood friends in England also considered me Irish and stated that I couldn't be English. A lot of my friends fathers used to be in the British army/former paratroopers/SAS members and held quite anti Irish views, some serving in Northern Ireland. One father refused to let me into his house because I wore a Republic of Ireland shirt.

So far, so good. It looks like you're an Irishman along the lines of the great Liverpool-born Piaras Beaslaí.

I love football, but can't support anyone at euro 2012, only for fun or for players of countries I like.

Hmmm, claims to Irishness have just taken a step back with this British reference to soccer/the garrison game as "football". (Cue British soccer-watching working class Dubliners and Brits in Ireland on Boards getting upset that somebody calls their British sport soccer.)
    I don't think I could ever call myself English/British.... I hold both British and Irish passports (and a Canadian one too shortly!

There's a huge contradiction at the heart of your post: if you genuinely don't see yourself as British, why did you choose to take a British passport out? You chose it; you choose to keep it every day. I know of no self-respecting Irishman who would choose to take out a British passport. None. It just would not happen. I think you just want to be accepted, but don't want to give allegiance to either and therefore will always be seen as 'the other' by each. Your situation seems to be entirely of your own making. Plenty of English-born people - Micheál Mac Liammóir being one of the more famous - have moved to Ireland and immersed themselves in Ireland and Irish culture and become unquestionably Irish by their own choosing. You don't seem to want to make this commitment. Fair enough, that's perfectly your right; just don't expect your identity crisis to go away with such personal choices.

Seanchai wrote: »
    There's a huge contradiction at the heart of your post: if you genuinely don't see yourself as British, why did you choose to take a British passport out? You chose it; you choose to keep it every day. I know of no self-respecting Irishman who would choose to take out a British passport. None. It just would not happen. I think you just want to be accepted, but don't want to give allegiance to either and therefore will always be seen as 'the other' by each. Your situation seems to be entirely of your own making. Plenty of English-born people - Micheál Mac Liammóir being one of the more famous - have moved to Ireland and immersed themselves in Ireland and Irish culture and become unquestionably Irish by their own choosing. You don't seem to want to make this commitment. Fair enough, that's perfectly your right; just don't expect your identity crisis to go away with such personal choices.

Look, my fear is I don't want to look as if I'm trying to hard, becoming more Irish than the Irish themeselves type of thing and do things that many Irish born people themselves don't do, do you know what I mean?

I have a British passport because I see myself as a global citizen of the world so have all of them, its the only way of dealing with it. Plenty of nationalists have British passports, my cousins included.

I have a British passport because I see myself as a global citizen of the world so have all of them, its the only way of dealing with it.

So you're a citizen of all the world's countries? Or does having the British passport bestow some "global citizenship" on one by virtue of the British Empire running 25% of the world until 90 years ago?

Plenty of nationalists have British passports, my cousins included.

Are you sure you're not mistaking so-called Irish 'nationalists' for plain old culturally British Roman Catholics in the north of Ireland?

• Advertisement

Are you sure you're not mistaking so-called Irish 'nationalists' for plain old culturally British Roman Catholics in the north of Ireland?

No they're nationalists its just cheaper/quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

So you're a citizen of all the world's countries? Or does having the British passport bestow some "global citizenship" on one by virtue of the British Empire running 25% of the world until 90 years ago?

Nope. I know plenty of Irish nationalists from the north with British passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

You would have thought that the protestants that are against mixed marriages would be weary of your background yes.

No they're nationalists its just cheaper/quicker.

Yeah, probably like those Palestinian Israelis. It defeats the idea of calling oneself an Irish nationalist when you're going around with the passport of the British nation rather than of the Irish nation. No doubt the same soup-taking Roman Catholics get offended when they are called British!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I was born in England
    You'd be English then.

This. I never take anything else into account other than what country you were born in. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

When you're over there you're Irish and when you're here you're English. I know its very morbid but where would you like to be buried?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    This. I never take anything else into account other than what country you were born in. Simple as.

Eh? But sure people can be born prematurely on holidays.

James Connolly, strapped to a chair and shot by British soldiers of the British state for his role in fighting for Irish freedom was a Brit then, it would appear. :rolleyes:

James Connolly, strapped to a chair and shot by British soldiers of the British state for his role in fighting for Irish freedom was a Brit then, it would appear. :rolleyes:

Well yes. he was born in Britain so thats his status. If you want to associate with another country, or if you're parents are both a different nationality then thats fine too.
    But what I'm saying is, where you're born is your main nationality whether you chose to associate with it or not. Perhaps Im using the term nationality too loosely?

He was a Brit in the other sense too. He server in the British Army for 7 years from the age of 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Thats a good Irish name you have there OP,however you type like a tan.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

It really doesn't matter....

How many people have spent time living in England then Ireland or vice versa, kids born in one country, raised in another.

Go with the culture that makes you comfortable, don't hate the other, it will have contributed to what makes 'you' to some extent.

My own friends/family are mix of Irish or English born, nearly all to Irish parents, some went to school in England, some in Ireland. Some have married, settled and had there own kids in England, some in Ireland. Between us we listen to The Stone Roses or The Saw Doctors with equal enthusiasm, support Premiership teams and GAA from our 'home' counties, may not have been flag waving during the jubilee but had no issue joining in the fun, more then happy to plastic it up for Paddies day.
    Nearly all support Ireland in international games, but, some will support England if Ireland not in the competition.

Bigots in either country are happy to dismiss you, don't let them. What does your nationality matter to any but you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

well. i was born here, my dad is english and my mother is irish and I have no problem supporting england in sporting events. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the aussies will win the ashes...wash out your mouth! i also support ireland in sporting events and if they're playing each other I just enjoy the fun, unless it's cricket and then i support ireland all the way cos they're always the underdog!

being a mongrel is just one of those things...embrace it and ignore everyone that gives you a hard time.

then that would probably make you an idiot! :D

then that would probably make you an idiot! :D

Please elaborate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

OP, it sounds as though you feel you should identify youself as Irish because of the way you were brought up, etc., but deep down you really don't feel Irish and you're feeling gulity about it. Don't beat yourself up, it's just not happening for you.

This may be a bit controversial, but imo it's kind of irresponsible the way immigrant parents bring up their children to believe their nationality is that of the country they came from and not the country the child was born and will be raised in.

Please elaborate.

Okay without using google what would you say that nationality of the following individuals are.

1. Ronan O'Gara

2. Cliff Richard

3. Paul McGrath

4. David O'Leary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

(Sorry for the long response)

I am absolutely amazed when I read some of the posts on this thread. Some of you are carrying on in a manner that existed, granted not too long ago. The OP is trying to find his identity and I'm not surprised if he has to ask it over and over again. There's always going to be differences of opinion from people as to what makes a person "Irish". What makes an Irish person living in America and Australia etc.. wanting to be of their adopted country?

Me personally? I'm one of these people who really doesn't care where someone is born or as a matter of fact, what other people decide themselves, what they are. I‘m born and bred in Ireland by the way. If the OP believes himself to be Irish, then so be it, as far I'm concerned he's Irish. I've known too many British people whilst living in the UK and here to dictate otherwise. What will happen in 20 years time when all the children born here become adults and have foreign nationals as parents from another country? My opinion is (and I hope certain people here with kids), will not care…because the world is changing faster than most of us can type!

My best mate talks with the typical East London accent, born and bred there to Irish parents and he has lived here for the last 20 years and to me and his many friends here, he's Irish with a mad accent. Also, I am not going to be, nor would I ever be one of these people that will "hold a grudge" based on a long history that we, as I would hope, people who will now look to the future and move on as has those who hold the current power and influence to shake hands and get on with it!!

I couldn't help but allow myself to direct this post into a direction that I hope is not off-topic by an extreme but the catastrophic and political history both countries have experienced against each other may be influential to certain comments. Lets face it, some posts are probably influenced on the past and as such dictate what I hope is a minority moving forward. If someone chooses to live in Ireland and decide to call themselves Irish, then I say, so be it and welcome! Unfortunately, not everyone holds my opinion of live and let live, we’re all on this planet for a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I was born in England (Wallingford in Oxfordshire) to Irish parents
    I'm too lazy to read the full thread. You're a Wally, obv. :)
    You can be Irish, English, or Northern Irish. Your choice. Be happy.

Its alright calling me English over here, which I'm used to (I have lived here for 12 years!). But as soon as I step over on the plane back to England, I get questioned about how Irish I am again. :(

So there is no answer, I was tortured for being called an Irish bastard in England for years over there, being the only with an Irish top etc, then obviously I come over here and its completely different. One of the last things that was said to me in Ipswich at school before I left was "Fvck off back to Ireland you Irish ****, you mick immigrants can stay out and don't come back".

I just started the thread for the sake of it and to see what people made of my story and their opinions I wasn't looking for certain answers (as one poster suggested :rolleyes:) but just any answers and to see if anyone could sympathise with my plight/story.

If I think if I was a professional footballer, I would just not play international football, and reject call ups from all countries and not "offend" anyone. Even if I was the best footballer in the world! I can't support anyone I really can't because every decision seems to be controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Its alright calling me English over here, which I'm used to (I have lived here for 12 years!). But as soon as I step over on the plane back to England, I get questioned about how Irish I am again. :(

Ouch sounds tough.

I just started the thread for the sake of it and to see what people made of my story and their opinions I wasn't looking for certain answers (as one poster suggested :rolleyes:) but just any answers and to see if anyone could sympathise with my plight/story.

ThomasFlynn, I wouldn't worry if I was you. I believe there are a hell of a lot more people out there like me than it may seem here. This is just a single point time of how things are changing. In probably what will become a very fleeting moment of time, like a lot of things in life, change and change they will sir! If all some people have to worry about in their lives at this point of time is where someone is from and "remember", then such thoughts will do what time does best, fade away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are you 10 minutes late by nature? Do you have an inexplicable yearning for red lemonade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Okay without using google what would you say that nationality of the following individuals are.

1. Ronan O'Gara

2. Cliff Richard

3. Paul McGrath

4. David O'Leary

Funny how the bigots can't summon up an answer to these ! OP, you're Irish, you shouldn't even doubt it enough to start this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My nephew was born in England. My sister (his mother) and her boyfriend moved back here with him when he was a year old. The same thing happened with my other sister, she had a child in England then moved back here with her husband when their son was about a year old. I don't think of either of my nephews as English. They're both in their early twenties now and have spent the majority of their lives here.

I don't get why people talk about football so much when they're trying to decide what nationality they want to call themselves. I love The Beatles but I don't think I'm from Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

If the Queen and Jack Charlton were in an episode of Celebrity Death Match, who would you cheer for?

There's your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm the same, born in London to Irish parents, lived there then moved back home. Felt at home right away here in Irl, but am still a "foreigner" to the locals, after 25+ years.
    OP. you are whatever you want to be, but even I kinda dislike the London Irish who come home with a strong British accent and act more Irish than the Irish. Be yourself, but when you go to Canada, pretend you are Latvian, just for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

You are the love child of the queen and mcguinness. (In a back to the future kind of way).

If the Queen and Jack Charlton were in an episode of Celebrity Death Match, who would you cheer for?

There's your answer.

I'd shout for Jack Charlton because that man represented a team that was of a different nature, and as nature has shown, everything changes. We are now 20 years later. If everyone was to stick to "those were the days" and whatever...where would we be? I was one of the people that sung to the top of my voice "we're all part of jackie's army" but that was soccer in such and as we've seen recently, it's not about political prowess but a sport competition. As the Irish fans showed in Poland, its a game, lets show pride, regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Pedant wrote: »
    You're a rotten Fenian with one of those terrible NI accents.

Weeeee, I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Both.

Just declare one over the other if you want to.

I was born to Irish parents in London. Entire family is Irish and moved back to Ireland when I was 7 or so.
    I've always considered myself Irish and use an Irish passport.

Pretty much the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

OP Id say your Irish , having being reared by Irish parents be it overseas or not , does anyone that lives away for a time be given the nationality of that country and have to shun his bloodline.
    You live here now , I take that as you returning home.
    If however you support Man City , I would take you as a fella that will agree to support whatever nationality he thinks will make him more popular at any given time.

My nephew was born in England. My sister (his mother) and her boyfriend moved back here with him when he was a year old. The same thing happened with my other sister, she had a child in England then moved back here with her husband when their son was about a year old. I don't think of either of my nephews as English. They're both in their early twenties now and have spent the majority of their lives here.

Yeah but I suppose the difference is is that I speak with an English accent those guys don't. You see I don't mind if people call me English, I don't correct them, I just let people call me what they want, but I hope they find it strange if I cheer against England sometimes etc.

To those who call me English, do you find it strange, even with my English accent I get intimidated walking through loyalist areas? Seeing a loyalist march? Seeing people wearing poppies and Rangers shirts?

Because this all happens to me. I'm not trying to act like the plastic paddy, but this is a natural reaction and I can't help think otherwise. I just can't. I could NEVER bring myself to vote for UUP/DUP or sympathise with unionism in any strong way (I'm not overt nationalist either but just saying).

If I see a gaelic top/celtic top despite my English accent I still feel more at 'home' than being surrounded by Rangers/Linfield shirts. Sorry but I can't help this and its the honest truth.

Another thing also is, is that I would be very uncomfortable with ever joining the British army. Infact I would be hesitant for sure.

It doesn't matter whether or not you consider me Irish or not, thats not the point, but there's a lot reasons to suggest why some people might understand why I just cannot consider myself British even when pushed. I can't I'm sorry. I was brought up to despise a lot actions by the British army. I don't know if I can consider myself Irish, but I can't consider myself British thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I call myself Irish. I was born in London to an English father and Irish Mother. Moved to France when I was 3...then moved to Ireland when I was 8. I have an Irish passport. Lost the English accent, thankfully!

• Advertisement
Advertisement