Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused About My Nationality (Irish or English?)

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Is anyone else confused as to what their nationality is?? Ok a little life summary:

I was born in England (Wallingford in Oxfordshire) to Irish parents
    I moved to Harrow, London at the age of 1
    Moved to Ipswich at the age of 6
    Moved Omagh, Northern Ireland at the age 14

I admit I was a proud plastic paddy, I was brought up to support Ireland during the "Jack Charlton" days during 90s. My parents encouraged me to, bought me Ireland tops etc and never really supported England.

A lot of my childhood friends in England also considered me Irish and stated that I couldn't be English. A lot of my friends fathers used to be in the British army/former paratroopers/SAS members and held quite anti Irish views, some serving in Northern Ireland. One father refused to let me into his house because I wore a Republic of Ireland shirt.

I don't think I could ever call myself English/British, because I believe a lot English I grew up with wouldn't allow me too and see me blatantly as nothing else other than Irish. I appreciate a lot of blacks and asians who proudly call themeselves English/British, passing the Tebbit test which I didn't, but I have this paranoia and suspicion a lot of English people would call me Irish again if I went there etc. Theres this underlying feeling that if you're not White Anglo Saxon Protestant (WASP) you can't be English. Now I dont think like but believe secretly a large percentage of the population do in my daft paranoid brain.

I moved to Northern Ireland at age 14 Im nearly 26 now and still speak with an English accent. I got called "English bastard" etc when I came here, ridiculed everytime England did badly in sport (even though I said I didn't support England). Even because of the religious situation here everyone thought I was a protestant (even though my parents are catholics). So I lost my sense of Irishness obviously a bit as I'm a "blow in" lol. I don't really support Ireland as much, but still don't support England either as I don't/cannot see myself as English.

I've learned to come to accept I have no nationailty. I've moved around too much and have kinda been rejected by both countries. I love football, but can't support anyone at euro 2012, only for fun or for players of countries I like. Its like this for every sport.

I hold both British and Irish passports (and a Canadian one too shortly!).

Are there any other messed up 3rd culture kids who have grown up all over the place, parents from different places etc? Theres a good chance I'll be living in Ireland for the rest of my life anyway. Anyone?

get out of it, calling yourself a plastic paddy is even cutting a fine line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

To those who call me English, do you find it strange, even with my English accent

Its an accent, most Irish people couldn't give a bollix what accent you have. Sure large swathes of the south Dublin populace speak like yanks. :pac:

You are born to Irish parents, therefore you are Irish. It is that simple. Your accent shouldn't even come into the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If you were adopted by some couple from Ireland and you were from Romania "say", your adoptive parents couldn't say you were Irish until you were naturalised.
    In the U.S.A. every year there is a swearing in of aliens who swear to be upright Americans.
    Spike Millegan said he was Irish even though he was born in India. . .
    Some people have a problem with nationality and genealogy but most don't. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Irish parents
    Call yourself an Irishman who was born in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Dont get too hung up on it...Im the same, irish parents...born in england...now happily living in Ireland.

I dont feel as if im one or the other to be honest just a perfect mix of both but I much prefer living in Ireland.

As for people who say theres no way you can call yourself irish just do what I do and say you are as irish as Shane MacGowan! that'll learn 'em....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I was born in London as was my brother. Neither one of us have ever thought of ourselves as anything other than Irish. Both of us hold Irish passports. I was about 3 and my brother was about 6 when our family moved back home.

As a kid I got the usual childish racist abuse - "f*****g brit - go back where you came from" etc. It used to really hurt until I copped on that they were just stupid kids.

However, a lot of those same kids (and quite a few of the posters in this thread) worship Sinn Fein. I wonder do they know that Pádraig Mac Lochlainn was born in Leeds and Pearse Doherty was born in Glasgow - not exactly Irish either. Isn't ignorance bliss :p

As far as I am concerned, I was born in England to Irish parents and I spent my life from childhood to now in Ireland, which makes me Irish. If anyone disagrees, they can kiss my shiny metal a$s :D

And to be official about it.......

From Rules of Citizenship through birth in Ireland

"So, if you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born in Ireland, then you are an Irish citizen."

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

So OP, you can consider yourself Irish, just as I do and many others like Pádraig Mac Lochlainn, Pearse Doherty, Shane McGowan and so on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

FanadMan wrote: »
    they can kiss my shiny metal a$s :D
    :)
    Why do you have a shiny metal donkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

policarp wrote: »
    Why do you have a shiny metal donkey?

Blaming Guinness again here - Should have read "Bite my shiny metal ass" lol

Just for you Policarp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I call myself Irish. I was born in London to an English father and Irish Mother. Moved to France when I was 3...then moved to Ireland when I was 8. I have an Irish passport. Lost the English accent, thankfully!

It has saved me in a few protestant areas. I was approached once on a country road by three guys when I was about 18 asking if I was a fenian, then said no, walked away, must of heard my accent and said "are you English" and so said "um yeah" and they said "What part of England are you from" I said "Ipswich" and then followed up with "Thats alright then!" and walked away. :eek:

I think most protestants in NI would see me as a fenian if I told them my background. That I have no doubt about. I just don't tell them parents are irish for security reasons at times. :pac:

Seriously though the plastic paddy in me is that I would feel uncomfortable hanging around Ibrox I must admit. Although I have been to Windsor Park quite a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

How about being both? Have dual nationality and tell people your folks are from Ireland but you were born and raised in England. It's not that difficult. Rather than choosing one or the other settle for both.

I'll be honest though...In 2012 it's quite embarrassing to see people born and raised in England trying to claim they're not English. I know for a fact if your parents are Irish people will still consider you English whereas they won't consider Blacks/Asians as English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

English born people with twoirish parents and an irish passport/U] considering themselves Irish ie; Dermot O'Leary or Shane MacGowan shouldn't be a big deal, they're defined by their upbringing, extended families and links to the country, it's not like they chose where to be born in the womb ffs !

However, I think what's notable is that you don't quite see this going on outside the Irish or English debate, think about all the French born Africans who declare to play football for Senegal or Mali, when I lived in the Netherlands, a Moroccan was an immigrant even if he or she was born there whether they liked it or not.

I've encountered a fair amount of Irish born folk who brag about their birthplaces and accents as if they chose them, ( many of them live in London ) which sorts of feeds into the myth that being born in a Irish hospital or having an Irish accent somehow makes you more wittier, earthier or saturated in some unique culture or clique that only those in the know can enjoy or feel part of, well it doesn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Seanchai wrote: »
    James Connolly, strapped to a chair and shot by British soldiers of the British state for his role in fighting for Irish freedom was a Brit then, it would appear. :rolleyes:
    Another wannabe is all he was. He was British.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

I think most protestants in NI would see me as a fenian if I told them my background. That I have no doubt about. I just don't tell them parents are irish for security reasons at times.
    If that is what your ideology is, then yes they would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

your polish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Nationality English. Culture Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was born in London to an English mother and Irish father. We moved to Ireland when I was 8. I hold an Irish passport. I feel completely Irish, have no affinity with England whatsoever. I was in England a few years ago visiting family, and my sister spotted a good looking fella at a train station. My first thought was yes he's nice but, ugh, he's probably got an English accent. So she told me to go back home and join the 'RA for myself:p. The OH always winds me up by telling me to face it, I'm English as I was born there. I think it's whatever you feel closest to, OP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

OP, I really don't get why you have such a dislike for all things English/British. What did your place of birth do to you that has you so p1ssed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Another wannabe is all he was. He was British.

this is what I alluded to earlier, what is it about some (not all) Irish people that make them think that being Irish is some sort of super unique thing that legions of wannabes are aching to be.

Irishness = random accident of birthplace or parentage. Case closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

dd972 wrote: »
    this is what I alluded to earlier, what is it about some (not all) Irish people that make them think that being Irish is some sort of super unique thing that legions of wannabes are aching to be.

Irishness = random accident of birthplace or parentage. Case closed.

you've got it all wrong mate
    we irish dont think it

the bleeding yanks do
    swear
    every second person in america says theirs irish

irish people are slowly taking over the world ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

saiint wrote: »
    the bleeding yanks do
    swear
    every second person in america says theirs irish

Nah. 38 million American out of a population of over 300 million claim to have some sort of Irish heritage. Most of them would be in the north east. The vast majority of 'Mericans couldn't care less about Ireland.

If that is what your ideology is, then yes they would.

Its not my ideology, they may never know it. I voted SDLP/Alliance here, I'm not really staunchly either side (well I probably lean nationalist obviously).

But I thought protestants would judge me on my blood and ethnic background first and foremost??

I know for a fact if your parents are Irish people will still consider you English whereas they won't consider Blacks/Asians as English.

Doubt thats true. Well it certainly wasn't when I was over there. I only can remember two incidents in my 8 years in Ipswich where somebody would stop and would say "hang you're born in England, aren't you English?" The other 99% just accepted/thought I was Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Is anyone else confused as to what their nationality is?? Ok a little life summary:

I admit I was a proud plastic paddy, I was brought up to support Ireland during the "Jack Charlton" days during 90s. My parents encouraged me to, bought me Ireland tops etc and never really supported England.

A lot of my childhood friends in England also considered me Irish and stated that I couldn't be English. A lot of my friends fathers used to be in the British army/former paratroopers/SAS members and held quite anti Irish views, some serving in Northern Ireland. One father refused to let me into his house because I wore a Republic of Ireland shirt.

I don't think I could ever call myself English/British, because I believe a lot English I grew up with wouldn't allow me too and see me blatantly as nothing else other than Irish. I appreciate a lot of blacks and asians who proudly call themeselves English/British, passing the Tebbit test which I didn't, but I have this paranoia and suspicion a lot of English people would call me Irish again if I went there etc. Theres this underlying feeling that if you're not White Anglo Saxon Protestant (WASP) you can't be English. Now I dont think like but believe secretly a large percentage of the population do in my daft paranoid brain.

I moved to Northern Ireland at age 14 Im nearly 26 now and still speak with an English accent. I got called "English bastard" etc when I came here, ridiculed everytime England did badly in sport (even though I said I didn't support England). Even because of the religious situation here everyone thought I was a protestant (even though my parents are catholics). So I lost my sense of Irishness obviously a bit as I'm a "blow in" lol. I don't really support Ireland as much, but still don't support England either as I don't/cannot see myself as English.

I've learned to come to accept I have no nationailty. I've moved around too much and have kinda been rejected by both countries. I love football, but can't support anyone at euro 2012, only for fun or for players of countries I like. Its like this for every sport.

Are there any other messed up 3rd culture kids who have grown up all over the place, parents from different places etc? Theres a good chance I'll be living in Ireland for the rest of my life anyway. Anyone?

your ( original or first ) passport will have your real nationality on it. This is what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

You picked the wrong board to ask this in. Boards.ie is populated almost exclusively by little-Englanders.

You're Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

OP, I really don't get why you have such a dislike for all things English/British. What did your place of birth do to you that has you so p1ssed off?

Did you not read the lads childhood experiances? :pac:

I wouldn't be calling myself English either in those circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I never understand these threads. It's not for somebody else to decide what nationality you are. Nationality is a personal decision not solely based on your place of birth but also your parentage, upbringing, exposure to a country's culture, attachment to a place etc.

I like you am born in England and of Irish descent although am not of "full" Irish parentage like you. I consider myself both English and Irish. I won't have anybody telling me I'm not Irish or English because that's what I know I am. I'm comfortable with my dual nationality and am fond of both countries. I have my home in England and my ancestral home in Ireland. I'd probably say I know more people from my home in Ireland than I do in England despite never living there because of the closeness of the community, I have a lot of family there and the fact it's a small place.

Ironically one of my closest friends is like you born in England to Irish parents, been to Ireland more than I have but rejects his Irish ancestry completely, refuses to be called Irish and believes he's only English. His family come from Dundalk while mine Connemara which probably explains it though :D

Interestingly enough I have only been back to England for 3 days since the year 2000. 3 overnight stopovers to Manchester to see 3 different Man Utd games. Never to any of places I grew up yet.

I wouldn't mind going back to visit but I feel like a foreigner everytime I do. :( English accents seem so weird/strange/foreign to me even though I have one myself.

I also worry that as soon as I mention I have Irish parents all the memories of Ipswich etc will flood back and you "Irish bastard" etc and people chatting stuff about the IRA (because I live in Omagh).

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

As long as you don't have an English accent ..... Welcome to the club lad :) ..... Scap that so you have an English accent ..... elocution lessons my friend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Border-Rat wrote: »
    You picked the wrong board to ask this in. Boards.ie is populated almost exclusively by little-Englanders.

You're Irish.

Good thing we have you here to fight the good fight on behalf of real Irish people.

p.oconnor wrote: »
    As long as you don't have an English accent ..... Welcome to the club lad :) ..... Scap that so you have an English accent ..... elocution lessons my friend :)

Naw I have one. :p I've always wondered learning Irish with English accent what would people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Naw I have one. :p I've always wondered learning Irish with English accent what would people think.

Come way down south to the real capital and wel bate that English accent out of ya :D

p.oconnor wrote:
    Come way down south to the real capital and wel bate that English accent out of ya :D

Well I have been living here for 12 years now and it hasn't changed, so I'm not so sure it will now haha. :D

Another thing that bugs is this love in for the British armed forces over here, I respect a lot of them fight bravely and I'm sad that some of them die, but again the British army means not a lot to me, I'd feel very uncomfortable joining it as to me its a foreign army, English accent or no English accent. This is the problem with my supposed "Britishness" is that I just don't feel it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

Interesting quote from John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) who is in a similar situation to you OP with Irish parents, albeit he hasn't lived in Ireland.
    Well, you're brought up in England with people telling you you're Irish. You go to Ireland and they call you English. So, you're very confused as to what your nationality is. And you end up, quite rightly, not believing in any nationality. I think national pride leads to nothing but wars and hates. Planet Earth, period. You know, not to love one place. In a way it's made me a bit of a Gypsy. That's why I move about all the time.

So you're not the only one. Its very logical to be confused over something like this, especially since you've lived in both countries.

Advertisement