Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhythm Fest

Options
  • 01-07-2012 6:20pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there wasn't a thread about this....monumental flop by the looks of it.

Roughly 300 on Saturday night for Bressie and around the same again today for Jedward...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

More debt so. Artists to be paid, stewarding, stage and equipment hiring etc... 300 x €25 is 7.5k per day = 15k. I am guessing that 6 acts each day is gonna cost alot more than that. Anyone know who is Co Board is brains behind it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Who in their right mind would want to go and see Brezzie or Jedward. A love struck teenage girl, primary school children and maybe gay men. While Parents love their children, how many will give their children €25 or €27-50 depending on where you get your tickets, to go and see these acts if you could call them acts. If the Waterford County G.A.A. Board had got rid of Davy Fitz at the end of 2008, they might not be in the debt they are in now.

Anyone know what it costs to stage the concerts this weekend. Someone told me that it was €190,000 and that there was only 5,000 left in both days. You'd be allowed to put in 6,000 for a match. Pictures on facebook that people have put up suggests there was an awful lot of free spaces around the ground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I heard in the region of about 200k, with jedward charging 35k, and Bressie 28k, and the rest of the acts....I'd say on or around 200 isn't far off the mark.

I feel sorry for the vendors really, I'm sure they all had to make a donation to be allowed set up for the weekend, I'd say anyone who had a food or beverage stand over there made a massive loss.

Shame really, possibly the biggest even to take place in the town over the last while and it failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

A number of mistakes from the outset
    Bressie wasn't a big act/attraction
    2 day event was plain stupid and massively increased costs
    Having jedward in dungarvan 4 weeks after he played in tramore was lunacy. East of the county fans went to tramore gig.
    Tom Cunningham should resign over this fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

That's a shame that they didn't get a bigger crowd.

at least Fair play to the organisers for trying.

• Advertisement

A number of mistakes from the outset
    Bressie wasn't a big act/attraction
    2 day event was plain stupid and massively increased costs
    Having jedward in dungarvan 4 weeks after he played in tramore was lunacy. East of the county fans went to tramore gig.

I agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sureaboyurself

Unfortunately just another in a long line of cock-ups by an incompetent county board. Looking at some of these guys over the last number of years this is no big surprise. The quality of the acts is shocking. They managed to alienate every male over the age of ten with their headline acts. what young lad or even man in his late teens or twenties would go to watch Brezzie and Jedward??
    Ironically, this is the demographic that the GAA is trying to appeal to the most. Ah well, back to the clubs again with cap in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

They managed to alienate every male over the age of ten with their headline acts

This. No wonder it flopped. I know of nobody who went near the Fraher Field on the weekend.

To blame the county board for the cock up lads would be wrong, from what i am hearing. Its my understanding that this is planned with the best part of 12 months. One poster who posts here put it up a good while back that Jedward were planned to come to Dungarvan and i thought it was a joke. The fault for the cock up and thats what it is, should lie with the committee (2 women i understand) that the came to the county board or who the county board approached which ever way it was. They should have ensured that the acts that they were planning to bring to Dungarvan should not be allowed to play within 100 miles of Dungarvan for six months or more before the concert. Jedward were in Cork, they were in Tramore, both within shouting distance of Dungarvan and also appeared in Wexford since they returned home from the Eurovision. I am sure some of the other acts would also have appeared within an hour or hour and a halves car drive of Dungarvan as well in recent weeks. I dont know but would love to know, if they main organisers who i heard on the Ian Noctor Show a few weeks back were on some sort of commission from the event. If they are, I hope that they will forego any fee that they were due to get for their work, because plain and simple they did not do their job. I dont know the women in question, but you would have to wonder could they organise a piss up in a brewery. If they knew what they were doing in organisng the event, surely when taking to the management of the headline acts they would have ensured that there would be no appearance by the acts in the Dungarvan area (an hour to 90 minutes car drive) until after the concert was held. Of the none big name headline acts, many people would have asked who are they or what are they, but as a non-concert going person, the same happens at the likes of oxygen etc every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Got a mention in today's Irish Independent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

35k for jedward and 28 for bressie? I'd have thought Bressie was a bigger attraction tbh. I do think having Jedward on in the same region weeks apart didn't help and it didn't exactly draw mass crowds into Tramore. I saw lots of posters and signs for this event a long time before it was due, thought it was well advertised. Not sure about print media or radio tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Jedward were in the Marquee Cork on Sat night!!!!
    Tom said it was only a 30k loss not 50k as reported
    Big crowd in Galway to night at The Sawdoctors (free) in the rain
    Maybe next year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It was very badly thought out to be fair, I can't imagine any of the vendors on the day were too impressed about having to pay massive fees to set up on the day, and then to have no customers.

Reports on today FM were saying there was a loss of 50k over all....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

They arranged an event in a small town that had a target audience of women and kids. No wonder it was a flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

who the hell planed this. the dogs on the street knew it would be a disater

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I was out in the town on Saturday night and met 1 person who was at it that night and when I was shopping there on Sunday I overheard a few people in the shop laughing at the disaster that it was. Nobody was heading there on the Sunday. As a few posters pointed out, you're looking to get lads of 15 and above to go to a gig and yet you get two acts that only people who are getting FAR too much babysitting money would spend it on. Playing to your potential audience obviously not a factor!!

Advertisement