Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bloating

• 01-07-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi!

I was just wondering if carbs play a big role in bloating? I read somewhere that fizzy drinks can cause it too. I don't think my diet is too bad, but perhaps it could cause bloating?

Diet:

Breakfast: 30g Porridge with water

Dinner: 200g potatoes, veg and usually meat such breaded chicken kiev/cod etc.(if I have lasagne I only have veg with it)

Tea: White roll with ham, low-fat mayonnaise and low-fat butter

I have about 1.1 L of water a day, and two cans of diet coke/pepsi.

Is my diet healthy, or could all the carbs be promoting bloating?

Thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

When do you feel bloated?

Is it in the evening? That bread roll might be too late in the day for you. Maybe try a pitta bread or cracotte or something else. Maybe make it a ham salad...

Also, do you really need mayo and butter? I know its low fat but a tiny bit OTT, IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Thank you so much GavMan!!:)

Yes, I do have my tea a little late I suppose-about 9 p.m. I also have maybe a bun/scone/soup with it as well, I forgot to add that!

I am a normal weight, but although my waist is small, my lower abdomen sticks out a little bit, but it would seem to be bigger in the evenings. I thought that perhaps it could be my 2 cans of pepsi max I take in the evenings, and I tried to cut it out fully, but couldn't! I have reduced it to 1 tin though, and will try to rid my diet of those fizzy drinks soon:o

As for the ham, low-fat mayo and butter, I don't think I could eat a roll without something moist in it:o

Amn't I awful picky?!?:pac:

I am really just looking to maintain my weight as I am 5' 4'' and close to 8 stone so I don't want to get too light.

Many thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookywook

Hi DoctorMedicine,

You certainly start the day off well with porridge but I notice that you haven't mentioned any fruit that you might have during the day. Less carbs and more fibre would certainly reduce the bloating. White bread is a major cause of bloating for me anyway so perhaps you could switch to pitta as GavMan suggests or to a brown roll. You're so good drinking that much water but you could definitely do with drinking less soft drinks. Also, if you increased your fruit intake, you could decrease the amount of water you drink per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DoctorMedicine

Bookywook wrote: »
    Hi DoctorMedicine,

You certainly start the day off well with porridge but I notice that you haven't mentioned any fruit that you might have during the day. Less carbs and more fibre would certainly reduce the bloating. White bread is a major cause of bloating for me anyway so perhaps you could switch to pitta as GavMan suggests or to a brown roll. You're so good drinking that much water but you could definitely do with drinking less soft drinks. Also, if you increased your fruit intake, you could decrease the amount of water you drink per day.

Thank you so much for your advice, Bookywook!:) I will immediately get rid of the white roll, and replace it with brown or pitta! That makes sense with regards to my intake, or rather lack of, of fruit! I should improve that side of my diet and that would also dissuade me from going after the carbs:o

Both of you have been a huge help! I really appreciate it and if you have any more tips, send them my way!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Bookywook wrote: »
    Also, if you increased your fruit intake, you could decrease the amount of water you drink per day.

Why? Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookywook

No problem DoctorMedicine. I have suffered with IBS for the past 10 years and my advice was based on suggestions from my dietician/gp - bloating is one of my main symptoms. One of the books on food and nutrition that I read and found useful is: 'The Food Bible' by Judith Wills. You might be able to pick up a copy in your local library.

I have provided two sources as helpfully requested above:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/treatments/healthy_living/nutrition/healthy_water.shtml

http://www.ca.uky.edu/enri/pubs/enri129.pdf

Hope you manage to get rid of the bloating DM but remember your gp is always there if you need any advice or help. Best of luck!!

Thank you so much GavMan!!:)

Yes, I do have my tea a little late I suppose-about 9 p.m. I also have maybe a bun/scone/soup with it as well, I forgot to add that!

I am a normal weight, but although my waist is small, my lower abdomen sticks out a little bit, but it would seem to be bigger in the evenings. I thought that perhaps it could be my 2 cans of pepsi max I take in the evenings, and I tried to cut it out fully, but couldn't! I have reduced it to 1 tin though, and will try to rid my diet of those fizzy drinks soon:o

As for the ham, low-fat mayo and butter, I don't think I could eat a roll without something moist in it:o

Amn't I awful picky?!?:pac:

I am really just looking to maintain my weight as I am 5' 4'' and close to 8 stone so I don't want to get too light.

Many thanks:)

Oh I don't want you to cut out butter and Mayo...just use one or the other :D:D:D

It's unlikely that pepsi is the cause but you never know.

My suggestion would be these 3 steps to find the cause.

Week 1: Swap your roll for something a bit lighter like a pitta or a wrap or cracotte or something

If you're still bloating, then for week 2: Go back on the Roll as you were and cut out the pepsi for just one week and see if it goes away.

If you still have bloating, then for week 3: Introduce more high fibre vegetables to your diet (think avocado, tomato, beans, lentils, parsnip, corn, Potato skins....basically more veg) and see if that stops your bloating

If all else fails, reach for a regular dose of Bran Flakes or All Bran....:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

GavMan wrote: »
    If all else fails, reach for a regular dose of Bran Flakes or All Bran....:p:p:p

That's a joke right?

OP Cut ALL bread out for 2 weeks and see if there's any difference.

Most people find that bread of any kind is the source of their bloating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Hi OP, I sometimes suffer with a bit of bloat and find peppermint tea helps. My Dad has mild IBS and he buys peppermint oil capsules over the counter in the pharmacy, (called Colpermin). They seem to help bloating from gas trapped in the stomach and gut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement