Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scrapping the housing benefits for under 25's

• 01-07-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

should we scrap housing benefits for under 25's saving 2 billion euro a year

IMO i think its a great idea and i feel it would stop young girls getting pregnant at such a young age

there would be exceptions for people with disabilities and that have no family to fall back on like people who were in the care of the state

believing that the under 25s being subsidised to live independently when they could move back into the family home

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Housing benefit. That's what young people think of when they have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

nadey wrote: »

IMO i think its a great idea and i feel it would stop young girls getting pregnant at such a young age

In reality it probably would, but you aren't allowed say that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

EH? Housing benifits make you pregnant?:confused:
    There was me thinking it was a sex thing! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Housing benefit. That's what young people think of when they have sex.

You reckon? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I think its scandalous its about time they scrapped it,it can only be a good thing,less anti social council brats and their entitlements..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I think its scandalous its about time they scrapped it,it can only be a good thing,less anti social council brats and their entitlements..
    Wonderfully elequent generalization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why should being under 25 make you less entitled to being housed by the state?

Do you magically become more mature and more deserving when your 26?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Well if you're a povvie scobe from a knick knack estate and under 25 then your parents are probably only like 35 and thus well able to accomodate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Do you magically become more mature and more deserving when your 26?
    Yep. It's like why you're allowed to drink alcohol once you hit 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Ah yes because its the under 25s fault we are in this mess

• Advertisement

it averages out the age of maturity,at 18 you might have more sense(more brain development) than say a 15/16 year old..

thats what they are going by,with regard to age,they are ensuring theres not the lets havea baby to get a council house scam going on which is practically how ireland was built..

the problem i see with it is that populations could decrease meaning more strain and hardship on businesses who want to sell sell sell and less tax coming in,but on the plus side there will be less unemployment lines,less expense on the tax payer for welfare,i think thats what they are aiming for..

Srapping it will put a lot of pressure on young families who are already probably struggling.

And for what its worth, I don't know an young person that'd get pregnant on purpose just to get a house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

... i feel it would stop young girls getting pregnant at such a young age

You really haven't thought about this have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

SocSocPol wrote: »
    EH? Housing benifits make you pregnant?:confused:
    There was me thinking it was a sex thing! :eek:

i never said housing benefits make you pregnant did i ???

when i was 16 and in school there was these girls failing in school who never really went either and thought that if they got pregnant they can get free money and house and have an easy life

they didn't like school and said that whats the point in working when you can get free money and house

nearly 6 years on they have 1 or 2 kids and their house free money for doing sweet feck all sitting on their lazy ass all day every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Under 25 is not a 'young' age to have a child. Most of us women are able to have babies from the age of 13 upwards. I think women should be encouraged to have children earlier in life.It reduces the risk of faetal abnormalities,miscarriges etc, and it also means parents and children have longer live's together.

I think there is a lot of societal pressures being put on women to have children later in life, none so more than the stigma of teen pregnancy as shown by the op. Yet we are putting our own biology under enormous pressure waiting until our late twenties and thirties to have children.

I lived in a council flat then house then private house,dont remember much of it from childhood,but i never saw what the problem was,until i heard about people who were anti social and entitled to housing,making their neighbours lives a misery,most people if they had any spare cash would spend it all moving to a new area if they couldnt get a transfer from the council quick enough..

Srapping it will put a lot of pressure on young families who are already probably struggling.

And for what its worth, I don't know an young person that'd get pregnant on purpose just to get a house.

i knew a few girls that did and brag about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i knew a few girls that did and brag about it
    So?? You want to punish everyone for these girls you claim to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Another idiotic thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

What do we do next then?

Maybe if we stopped the state pension it would stop people getting old - we'd save a fortune on healthcare too, so I really think this could be a runner:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

If a married couple, both under 25, lost their jobs, would you deny them housing benefits ?

Biggins wrote: »
    You really haven't thought about this have you?

theres so many people on the dole that have been on it 5 years or more and have such a easy life

scrap the housing benefits will put pressure on them to get off their asses and look harder for work

i really do feel that it would stop people having children young when they cant afford them and depend on the tax payers to feed clothes and house them

theres so many people on the dole that have been on it 5 years or more and have such a easy life

scrap the housing benefits will put pressure on them to get off their asses and look harder for work

i really do feel that it would stop people having children young when they cant afford them and depend on the tax payers to feed clothes and house them

What about people who are actively seeking employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Wonderfully elequent generalization.
    Of course everyone should qualify every single thing they say with every conceivable exception.

mattjack wrote: »
    If a married couple, both under 25, lost their jobs, would you deny them housing benefits ?

no i think that if you have worked and if you have sadly lost your job then you are entitled to housing benefits after all the tax you have paid

why should people who have never worked a day in their lifes get houses and money for doing nothin

The levels of either stupidity and/or inability to analyse a socio-economic problem - while tarring/punishing all with the same brush because of a minority, saddens me greatly.
    With such people able to vote, it might partly explain why muppets who spout similar rubbish - fodder for the masses, get elected!

nearly 6 years on they have 1 or 2 kids and their house free money for doing sweet feck all sitting on their lazy ass all day every day
    You aren't allowed to say stuff like this. It's wrong....for some reason.

What do we do next then?

Maybe if we stopped the state pension it would stop people getting old - we'd save a fortune on healthcare too, so I really think this could be a runner:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

i think if you have worked and lose your job you are in entitled to housing benefit from all the tax you have paid

people on a pension have WORKED for that

why should people who have never worked before in their lifes and get benefits is a joke

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Another idiotic thread.
    Proof, if it were needed, that thoughtcrime is alive and well in some circles. You can't even discuss social policy - why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Teenage single mothers rabble rabble rabble, bleeding the country dry rabble rabble rabble, they should all be homeless and starve rabble rabble rabble, sterilise the whole lot of them rabble rabble rabble.

Oh AH, same ****, different day:rolleyes:

i think if you have worked and lose your job you are in entitled to housing benefit from all the tax you have paid

people on a pension have WORKED for that

why should people who have never worked before in their lifes and get benefits is a joke

So what do you suggest - round 'em up and force them to live in a field?

Not everyone in receipt of a state pension has worked either so do we include the elderly in the homeless group?

OP, are you a little confused about where you are living, David Cameron over in the 'ol UK has suggested it , not here..

and we're not part of the UK .. in case there's any confusion.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Teenage single mothers rabble rabble rabble, bleeding the country dry rabble rabble rabble, they should all be homeless and starve rabble rabble rabble, sterilise the whole lot of them rabble rabble rabble.

I think the OP needs to ring Joe!
    Its just about that level!

Don't forget the 'foreigners' ;).

• Advertisement

It's probably more suited to the politics forum, but it could be a sign that people who are being taxed to the back teeth - and those people who lost their jobs in the last few years but are genuinely trying to find new jobs - are getting sick and tired of seeing their resources diverted to the complete wasters who sat on the dole throughout the boom and have no intention of working ever.

Just a thought.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So what do you suggest - round 'em up and force them to live in a field?

Not everyone in receipt of a state pension has worked either so do we include the elderly in the homeless group?

No. We should kill the poor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

It is hard to find jobs out there now though..

It is hard to find jobs out there now though..
    I don't think anyone has a problem with people who want to work. Except possibly those who think that working at all is the type of thing that 'snobs' do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No.

Where would the young uns live then?

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »
    OP, are you a little confused about where you are living, David Cameron over in the 'ol UK has suggested it , not here..

and we're not part of the UK .. in case there's any confusion.

i never said we were part of england where did i say that

i saw it on the news thought it was a good idea and wanted peoples opinions on it if they should do it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Proof, if it were needed, that thoughtcrime is alive and well in some circles. You can't even discuss social policy - why?

Discussion, where?

It's just another trashy AH bashing thread, one of hundreds, thousands probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

so people on here think that if you haven't worked a day in your life you should get free housing and money

bleeding the country dry

why should hard working people have to struggle to pay rent bills ect

when some people on the dole just sit on the bums all day and get everything paid for them

this country is backwards

you work hard and you struggle

dont work and get a easy life

This post has been deleted.

€100 euro a week living on your own :eek:. How do you manage????? Even with borrowing money that just sounds impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

In reality it probably would, but you aren't allowed say that!
    Who won't allow you? It might, but I personally reckon there's a good chance it wouldn't - there are other factors that lead to teen pregnancy being a norm for some.
    the lets havea baby to get a council house scam going on which is practically how ireland was built..
    "practically how Ireland was built"...? :confused:

Wonder what age the person who started this discussion is - I'm thinking over 25. :p

johngalway wrote: »
    Discussion, where?
    Yes, I don't see any discussion either - basically just people telling the OP to f*ck off. That's kind of my point.

The attitude towards young pregnant women here is appalling. Everyone is forgetting that 40-50 years ago it was NORMAL for a woman to have her first child at 18 or so.

I'm one of those horrible uneducated brats that got pregnant young, aged 19.

I remember sitting in a café with my mum last year, I had a bump at that stage. A woman in her 40's asked me where my husband was. I told her myself and my boyfriend weren't married.

She told my mum she'd pray for my soul, and that she was a brave lady cause if I was her daughter she'd have "beat it out of me" and made sure no one in the family ever spoke to me again. She couldn't have a "whore" in the family.

She told me to be sure to say my prayers every night and maybe God would be good and protect my baby. Scariest part was she was saying these things to me trying to be kind, with good intentions.

Seriously. This country has a disgusting attitude towards people in vulnerable situations. Instead of blaming all our problems on young parents and foreigners we'd be better off focusing on the fact that our politicians make more than nearly any other government officials worldwide.

If we started at the top, and worked our way down, we'd see where the money is REALLY going.

Taking away housing benefit will not solve all our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

so people on here think that if you haven't worked a day in your life you should get free housing and money

bleeding the country dry

why should hard working people have to struggle to pay rent bills ect

when some people on the dole just sit on the bums all day and get everything paid for them

this country is backwards

you work hard and you struggle

dont work and get a easy life

Could you explain the sentence in bold please?? :confused:

i never said we were part of england where did i say that

i saw it on the news thought it was a good idea and wanted peoples opinions on it if they should do it here

Easy now, Tiger.I was just checkin'.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement