Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scrapping the housing benefits for under 25's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The point is that there were hundreds of thousands of jobs like this going at the same time as 5% of our working population was on the dole. Most of that 5% weren't interested in working.

Be very hard to work in a minimum paid job and pay childcare - that's one example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

nadey wrote: »
    i never said housing benefits make you pregnant did i ???

when i was 16 and in school there was these girls failing in school who never really went either and thought that if they got pregnant they can get free money and house and have an easy life

they didn't like school and said that whats the point in working when you can get free money and house

nearly 6 years on they have 1 or 2 kids and their house free money for doing sweet feck all sitting on their lazy ass all day every day
    So basically you are are saddo with a chip on your shoulder, what happened to you? Did you pay 4 times too much for house in the tiger years and now feel obliged to kick out at someone because greed got the better of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Be very hard to work in a minimum paid job and pay childcare - that's one example.
    That makes no sense either. Are full-time parents included in the dole stats?

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So basically you are are saddo with a chip on your shoulder, what happened to you?
    Read the rest of his/her posts and you will find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

0066ad wrote: »
    How the hell did u manage that? going to college working part time and you are only 21 :eek:

i have always been good with money birthday christmas i would always ask for money and put into an account that i gave to my dad so i would take money out and waste it

baby sitting since 13 and saved that

I worked in a pub local pub and knew nearly everyone there so got good tips and after taking away money for food and bills i would save the rest

my nanny died and left the money to her grandchildren so i saved the money from her

my boyfriend and i went half on the house so it aint all mine :D

wasn't easy though because we aren't married yet we had to sign up contracts in case we every break up the house will be sold 50/50

we both had to have a certain amount of savings in our accounts awh and so much more i didn't think that there was so much involved in buying a home i didn't know we needed solicitors and everythin else on top of that

been with him since im 16 and he 5 years older than so 5 and a half years together me so we both knew what we wanted

plus houses aren't that expensive as they used to be anymore

we are both very lucky to own our own house at only 21 and 27 :D

was worth it though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

i have always been good with money birthday christmas i would always ask for money and put into an account that i gave to my dad so i would take money out and waste it

I worked in a pub local pub and knew nearly everyone there so got good tips and after taking away money for food and bills i would save the rest

my nanny died and left the money to her grandchildren so i saved the money from her

wasn't easy though because we aren't married yet we had to sign up contracts in case we every break up the house will be sold 50/50

we both had to have a certain amount of savings in our accounts awh and so much more i didn't think that there was so much involved in buying a home i didn't know we needed solicitors and everythin else on top of that

been with him since im 16 and he 5 years older than so 5 and a half years together me so we both knew what we wanted

was worth it though

Can a mod edit this so it makes a bit of sense?

so people on here think that if you haven't worked a day in your life you should get free housing and money

bleeding the country dry

why should hard working people have to struggle to pay rent bills ect

when some people on the dole just sit on the bums all day and get everything paid for them

this country is backwards

you work hard and you struggle

dont work and get a easy life
    Actually whats bleeding the country dry is political mismanagment and greed by bankers,shareholders, and developers.
    You clearly need to get an education before you post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I would love to see how much this can save the country. I don't get this homeless bull sure most can live with their parents/rent until their 25 you know like a lot of Irish people are doing know

Varied wrote: »
    Nothing this tr**l posts could make sense, best suggestion, dont feed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Muir wrote: »
    scrapping housing benefit would create more problems. mass homelessness for one. scrapping jobsbridge schemes would be a better option.

how much money would the government save by doing that.

I worked as a self employed architectural technician during the boom years. then the bubble burst and I was out of work.. I went back to college at my own expense while only being entitled to €120 a week on jsa.

I still had debts to repay. a flat to pay rent on and the bills etc. it was hard. then I finished my two years of college training in I.t. only to find nothing on offer but jobsbridge schemes.

I took one but I know the company I am working with dont keep interns on after the 9 months. most companies are exploiting the scheme. some have even laid off paid employees and replaced them with interns at tax payers expense.

I would love to go back to college to upgrade my higher cert to a higher degree but I simply cannot afford to.

Have you looked on bluebrick, there are a lot of funded courses that are IT related. HDips etc. Even if you're supposed to have a degree, it's worth applying, I know someone who managed to get onto one without any degree by having a good CV and cover letter, so give it a try.

I have looked at it but most of the courses cost a few thousand.

money I simply don't have. all my savings went when I lost my business on repaying debts and college. because I lost my business also means my credit rating took a major nose dive. I need a paying job for a few years to restore that. so more loans is not an option for me right now.

• Advertisement

Patronising clown.

That makes no sense either. Are full-time parents included in the dole stats?

Yes, in the case of single parents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP suggested that young girls choose to become single parent to avail of social welfare and housing benefit. She even suggested that cutting this would stop girls 'choosing' to be single parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Patronising clown.

Nice ninja edit.;)

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So basically you are are saddo with a chip on your shoulder, what happened to you? Did you pay 4 times too much for house in the tiger years and now feel obliged to kick out at someone because greed got the better of you?

ha ha i was 10 back then im only 21

maybe you should read my other posts there

because the only person here that has a chip on their shoulder is you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

money I simply don't have. all my savings went when I lost my business on repaying debts and college. because I lost my business also means my credit rating took a major nose dive. I need a paying job for a few years to restore that. so more loans is not an option for me right now.

They don't cost anything if you're considered an eligible learner. Also look at Springboard, also free, loads of IT courses.

Yes, in the case of single parents. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP suggested that young girls choose to become single parent to avail of social welfare and housing benefit. She even suggested that cutting this would stop girls 'choosing' to be single parents.
    Apparently single parents are not counted as being on the dole.
    Water14 wrote: »
    The number of people not working is much higher than that on the live register figure of 444,299. In other countries, a single parent not working is seen as unemployed. In Ireland these people are not seen on the unemployment figures, only as single parents on one parent family payment numbering recipients of 90,484. It they were added them to the live register our live register number would be 534,783. Our labor force is 2,152,000. So, just under 25% of the labor force is on the live register or an unemployed single parent. Source: Statistical Information on Social Welfare Services, 2009.http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Documents/2009stats.pdf

Also, I think the unemployment figures are being masked by a huge number of welfare allowances and payments. Look at all the other welfare allowances given that are not called unemployment payments and massive numbers of people on them in 2009.
    Illness Benefit 77,665
    Invalidity Pension 52,922
    Disablement Benefit 13,520
    One-Parent Family Payment 90,484
    Disability Allowance 99,576
    Back to Education Allowance 15,877
    Farm Assist 8,972
    So those on the dole during the boom were not held back by childcare concerns.

Nice ninja edit.;)
    Thanks. You might edit yours if you wanted to show some class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Muir wrote: »

They don't cost anything if you're considered an eligible learner.

I know but I was "considered" not eligible by sw. so now I'm stuck in a rut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

was worth it though

Very impressive,considering two years ago you were in rented accommodation and managing to put yourself through college.
    Financial wizardry at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I know but I was "considered" not eligible by sw. so now I'm stuck in a rut.

I edited my post to include Springboard. If you're receiving a social welfare payment or you were previously self employed you're eligible.

http://www.springboardcourses.ie/Help/SpringboardEligibility.aspx

• Advertisement

Apparently single parents are not counted as being on the dole.

So those on the dole during the boom were not held back by childcare concerns.

I stand corrected, but it still doesn't change the fact that the OP suggested that SW and housing allowance are a motivating factor in young girls becoming pregnant.

mattjack wrote: »
    Very impressive,considering two years ago you were in rented accommodation and managing to put yourself through college.
    Financial wizardry at its finest.

yes i moved out when i was 17 shared accommodation

my mam and dad paid for my college fees

i paid for the rest

and as i said my boyfriend owns half of the house i obviously didn't pay for it all by my self

mattjack what point are you trying to make anyway that i rented and went to college when i already said in another post that i moved out of home when i was 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

yes i moved out when i was 17 shared accommodation

my mam and dad paid for my college fees

i paid for the rest

and as i said my boyfriend owns half of the house i obviously didn't pay for it all by my self

...and what would you do if you lost it all in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 190E2.516

you need money for 'innovation',whether its starting up a new business,or franchise,you need a good lot of capital,something a lot of people in ireland are short of at the moment..

not always. my message is get off ur ass and make things happen.

mattjack what point are you trying to make anyway that i rented and went to college when i already said in another post that i moved out of home when i was 17

No point.. that's the most impressive story I've ever heard .Your financial skills are incredible.

Chucken wrote: »

in all honesty what could i really do only to try again

i wouldn't give up and feel sorry for myself

Chucken, are you still pretending people have a problem with helping people who want to work? :confused:

No point.. that's the most impressive story I've ever heard .Your financial skills are incredible.

as i said i didn't buy my home buy my self its also my boyfriends

plus my nannys money really helped alot

incredible i dont think so people buy homes every day

if i bought it my self now that would of been incredible

• Advertisement

Mattjack, you could buy a place now for 100k no problem. You'd only need to save 10k, or 5k each if sharing with someone. You could save that in two years even on the minimum wage if you set your mind to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

190E2.516 wrote: »
    not always. my message is get off ur ass and make things happen.
    Can you elaborate? So far, what you seem to be saying is "create a job out of thin air". Have you ever been unemployed? Have you ever created work when looking for work, as you recommend?

in all honesty what could i really do only to try again

i wouldn't give up and feel sorry for myself

I imagine that most people would continue to try,but sometimes folk need a helping hand.
    Chucken, are you still pretending people have a problem with helping people who want to work? :confused:

Where did you get that idea? :confused:

plus my nannys money really helped alot

incredible i dont think so people buy homes every day

if i bought it my self now that would of been incredible

Nowadays people don't buy houses everyday.Mortgages are not given out easily anymore.By the way you're talking you got left a lot of money in will ,giving you an advantage in a very tough market.
    Most buyers nowadays have to have very secure well paid jobs as well as a big deposits.
    Lenders are now stress testing before giving out loans.

Like I said, and I'm not being patronising in the slightest, to get a mortgage today is pretty impressive especially for one so young and just finished college,your boyfriend and yourself are lucky to have two secure jobs.

Where did you get that idea? :confused:
    Why did you ask what the OP would do if they 'lost it all tomorrow'?

Mattjack, you could buy a place now for 100k no problem. You'd only need to save 10k, or 5k each if sharing with someone. You could save that in two years even on the minimum wage if you set your mind to it.

i know some people find it hard to believe that a 21 year old can buy a home but houses are being sold for feck all these days

best time to buy now that homes are so cheap these days though the banks are making it harder to get a mortgage

my uncle bought his home for 300.000 many years ago he's retired now and moved over to spain with his wife their house sold for 60,000 :o

• Advertisement

Why did you ask what the OP would do if they 'lost it all tomorrow'?

Because it can very easily happen. I'm just wondering if she needed financial assistance then,would she be as quick to condem those that need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

plus my nannys money really helped
    So you inherited money - most people buying don't have that. And who gives up and feels sorry for themselves that you know? Endless rejections will make a person feel disheartened and nobody who hasn't been there has the right to tell them how they should feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Do Fas or whatever they're called now do any language courses? I'm interviewing five days a week for open positions, but a language other than English is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

What to tax, and what benefits to give has little to do with fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

i know some people find it hard to believe that a 21 year old can buy a home but houses are being sold for feck all these days

best time to buy now that homes are so cheap these days though the banks are making it harder to get a mortgage

my uncle bought his home for 300.000 many years ago he's retired now and moved over to spain with his wife their house sold for 60,000 :o

Is this the house you and your boyfriend bought? that is quite a drop in price 1/5 the price.

many years ago also house's weren't as expensive as they were during the boom

I'm thinking you got a bargain

• Advertisement

Nowadays people don't buy houses everyday.Mortgages are not given out easily anymore.By the way you're talking you got left a lot of money in will ,giving you an advantage in a very tough market.
    Most buyers nowadays have to have very secure well paid jobs as well as a big deposits.
    Lenders are now stress testing before giving out loans.

Like I said, and I'm not being patronising in the slightest, to get a mortgage today is pretty impressive especially for one so young and just finished college,your boyfriend and yourself are lucky to have two secure jobs.

he works for his dad so he's been working with him since he's 15 or 16 i think so he's in long term employment we wouldn't of been able to get the house

Because it can very easily happen. I'm just wondering if she needed financial assistance then,would she be as quick to condem those that need it.

as i said before if i've paid my tax please god i never do lose my job but if i did and i had to sign on then why shouldn't i

i would only be claiming back the tax that i have worked for

But I haven't seen a single poster here, including the OP, suggest that people who want to work shouldn't get help. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes, I don't see any discussion either - basically just people telling the OP to f*ck off. That's kind of my point.

I'm not going to labour the point with you. Rather than contribute to "whinge central" where the ill's of the country are always someone elses fault, how about some of those with bee's in their bonnets - if you like - **** off out from in front of their computer and contribute something productive themselves.

But I haven't seen a single poster here, including the OP, suggest that people who want to work shouldn't get help. :confused:

Did you read the OP? :confused:

johngalway wrote: »
    I'm not going to labour the point with you. Rather than contribute to "whinge central" where the ill's of the country are always someone elses fault, how about some of those with bee's in their bonnets - if you like - **** off out from in front of their computer and contribute something productive themselves.
    Some people would suggest that starting a discussion about a social problem is doing something productive. This is how social problems like institutional homophobia were tackled.

Is this the house you and your boyfriend bought? that is quite a drop in price 1/5 the price.

oh no i wouldn't live in my uncles home plus i dont like the area was in finglas south

i know i 60,000 euro for a home i think he was mad for selling it

he said he could be dead tomorrow and just wanted the house so he could live on in spain without the home holding him back

he sold to his nephew on his wifes side of the family so i think thats why it went so cheap

So am I......WHOOPs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

This post has been deleted.

Cycle everywhere, don't buy anything, 300 on rent, 50 food, 50 bills (or 25 food 75 bills) .. its no life :s Well if I still can't find work (lacking the 1 yr+ experience already) I'll be on 144 next year, I don't accept any of this you should be grateful lark.

This is hard, hope you get something soon.

Did you read the OP? :confused:
    Yes. I understood it to be referring to people who wanted to sponge, not to people who wanted to work. Perhaps the OP could clarify if I understood her correctly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement