Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple USB cables, shocking quality

• 01-07-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Does anybody else find that the pull out ones are not a patch on the old ones with the buttons on the sides that had to be pressed to remove the cable, I am sick of going through these it's driving me up the wall. I have just bought 4 more off ebay which I am sure are not the official Apple ones but I'm sick of spending money for such a crap product.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Never had a single issue with these in many years of use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

There's 4 floating around our house, one is just about knackered and another is coming away from the 30 pin connector.

I was in Tesco recently and they do heavy duty apple cables in their electronics section, they come in a black and clear bag, hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've gone through 3 apple ones on with my phone so far, very annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

bkehoe wrote: »
    Never had a single issue with these in many years of use!

Me too, had about 5 of them now and never an issue with any.

Take better care of your stuff maybe people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All of mine are still working.

Do you yank the cord?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Do you yank the cord?
    Have had 2-3 over the past years, all still fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I always yank the cord and it get's caught in places so i have to get a new one every couple of months.

Have had trouble with the ones off eBay unfortunately so I'm always dishing out €19 to the money eating company :mad:

Ah well, I'd be lost without the cord :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Do you yank the cord?

Nope, the one that came in the box with my 4S lasted about a month. The wiring cover at the end of the iPhone connection seemed to gather or twist, this seemed interfere with the connection because if I moved the iPhone it would stop charging, before it stopped working altogether.

The old ones with the buttons are much better quality IMHO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

lee3155 wrote: »
    I always yank the cord and it get's caught in places so i have to get a new one every couple of months.

Have had trouble with the ones off eBay unfortunately so I'm always dishing out €19 to the money eating company :mad:

Ah well, I'd be lost without the cord :\

Here's a thought : DON'T yank the cord and you won't have to keep giving them money....;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The one I got with my new iPad is a bitch to get out sometimes.

I'm concerned I'm going to screw something up with the jiggling I have to do to get the bastard out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Have about 5 of them all over the house, i never had any major problems with them, they are a bit old and are starting to ware but they still do their job.

Chances are your getting cheap knock offs on eBay

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Have about 5 of them all over the house, i never had any major problems with them, they are a bit old and are starting to ware but they still do their job.

Chances are your getting cheap knock offs on eBay

The ones that I have had are only those I got in the box with my Apple products or ones that I have bought from Apple. I am buying cheap knock offs from ebay now because I honestly don't think they can be any worse than the genuine products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What happens to mine -- https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15077165/charger.jpg

They're not long enough to use from weird angles, and you can't leave it standing on your chest while you use it in bed :[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

They're not long enough to use from weird angles, and you can't leave it standing on your chest while you use it in bed :[

Yes that happens to mine aswell , pain in the ass really. The worst thing by far is the're only a meter long. We want at least double that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My answer
    biko wrote: »
    What I do it duct tape the ends before they break, where the cable meets the head.
    This way the ends will be stiffer and not bend so much at the weakest points.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76362100

That is exactly what happened to mine, it started being temperamental before it stopped working altogether yesterday :mad:
    biko wrote: »

Sound biko, will give that a go with the knock offs and see how long they last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

I'm about to start using my 3rd one with my 4s since october!

really annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

still have my original iphone cable from 2007 charging my iphone 4S at home. not a single scratch on it.

it's like everything, it will last as long as you look after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Any else just using a Stack of €uro2 charging cables? .....I have a tenners worth plugged in at work / home and they do the job bang on,if 1 breaks its no big deal!

slickmcvic wrote: »
    Any else just using a Stack of €uro2 charging cables? .....I have a tenners worth plugged in at work / home and they do the job bang on,if 1 breaks its no big deal!

I got 4 on eBay for a euro each, they look exactly like the apple ones and are doing the same job thus far, if they break it's not like I'll have lost on on €20 like I do when one of the apple ones breaks. I didn't know the €2 store sold them I must pick up a few next time I am in there, they are handy to have a around the place in case one gets broken and I like to keep one in the car as well in case I get stuck somewhere etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Theres no point imo spending crazy money on an iPod cable, never had an issue with the cheapies on eBay and if your euro cable goes faulty it's economically viable to buy another, or a dozen for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

since 2007 there have been 2 3g's a 4 a 4s an ipad 1, an ipad 2 and a ipod touch in my house. the only cable to fray has has been the touch, which is fair enough being the oldest. I find if you dont batter them the cables last a fair while.

Advertisement