Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat being bullied..

• 01-07-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

There are an amount of un-neutered tom cats around my area and they are starting to bully my neutered lad. Today is the second attack in 2 weeks, the one 2 weeks ago resulted in a visit to the vets and a course of antibiotics, today Cream came in With clumps off hair hanging off him and dried blood on his neck, side and half a claw missing on his back toe. I'm hoping it won't result in a vet visit but I'll have to keep an eye on him.

I've stopped feeding my cats outside as I figured that's what was drawing the strays over but it's still happening. I'd love to catch the culprits and give out sh1t to the owners but I doubt they even have owners as there are a good few farms in my immediate vicinity. I've thrown water over the cats that come around but it doesn't deter them, they run when they see me but still come over when they think the coast is clear. It's not all cats though, my fella gets on famously with a tom cat from up the road (I'm convinced they are a gay couple...maybe that's why he's getting bullied :P)

I'm nearly driven to having to keep Cream inside but I know he would go mental. They were indoor cats for the 1st year of their lives and always tried their hardest to escape. Now they go out for a few hours during the day and are all the happier for it. But when Cream gets attacked he usually ends up taking out his frustration on Peach by bullying her, nothing too serious but there is sometimes fur flying! I'm at the end of my tether, I'm a MASSIVE cat lover but it's gone to the stage that I want the bastards gone far far away (not killed or anything like that - just wishing farmers kept their cat's inside :/)

Anyway, tl,dr : My cat is getting beaten up by some other males in the area. Is there anything I can do to stop it short of keeping my fella inside? Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

lay out water bottles in the area..

put out some cat repellant scent too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Water bottles don't work as we don't get enough sun light, I have cats myself so I can't put out cat repellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It doesn't only happen with unneutered toms - I've had trouble with neighbouring neutered males. All you can do is chase away any intruders, and it might help to keep your cats in at night. Don't feed them outside anymore, and if you have a catflap don't feed them just inside it either.
    If you have a dog you could encourage him to chase out any visiting cats. Mine is brilliant for raising the alarm when there's a fight, and I send him out to break it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My cat's have never spent a night outside, they go our from about 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening and they get fed at the other end of the utility than where the cat flap is, we used to leave out the food during the day if there was no one at home because if we left the flap open for the cats to come in, they wouldn't come out again and would end up very hyper and attacking each other at night :P My uncles dog does chase away the neighbour cats alright but she it also indoor/outdoor so she isn't always there to do the job. Such an awkward situation! :(

Advertisement