Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy biting and growling

• 01-07-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey all,

We rescued a 9 month old bitch puppy from the DSPCA about 6 weeks ago. She's a cross between a Jack Russell/Dashund. She's a lovely little dog but the past week shes, snapping, biting and growling.

Were booking her in to get her kennel cough vaccine this week and then sign her up for training classes.

In the meantime any advice on how to handle her?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Ignore her, when she starts this stop what you are doing, walk out of the room and close the door so that she can't follow you, leave her in time out for about 30 seconds, she will soon get the picture that this behaviour will not get her what she wants which is play and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

We have tried ignoring her but she starts biting to get our attention and growling showing her teeth.

I think her teeth are driving her mad, shes chewing everthing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

get her to play with chewy balls

She has chew ball, teddies and has taken a particular fancy to MY shoes!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

shes still a puppy she has a lot to learn im sure with more training she wont be as bitey bitey with you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Lambo28 wrote: »
    We have tried ignoring her but she starts biting to get our attention and growling showing her teeth.

I think her teeth are driving her mad, shes chewing everthing

She is just going through her teenage phase, they really like to challenge and feck around during this stage, it's very important when you are ignoring her to remove yourself or her from the room, if she can't see you then she can't bite you or growl at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I've been through this with my 6 month old pup and have come out the other side.

A mixture of ignoring him completely and quickly substituting hands with a chewy toy and he got the point eventually. The key is to get everyone in the household on the same wave length and do the same thing consistently so the pup doesn't get mixed signals. Give it a bit of time and you'll see a big difference I'm sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭elainesnuffles

I used to put my puppy on time out lol.
    Id place her on couch & ignore her. (she couldnt jump down) or u could try saying no & placing chewy toy in his/her mouth.
    Or a nice long walk to tire him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

This method worked for me. My Maltese was very nippy and doesn't do it at all now. It took weeks but it was worth it.

Make your puppy think he is hurting you each time he has a nip at you. This method replicates the way dogs sort out this biting amongst themselves. When puppies are biting and nipping each other it only stops when one puppy lets out a yelp. We can use this natural way dogs learn by letting out an Ouch! or an Arrr! every time one of our puppy's bite. The trick is to startle your dog with your voice, and then pull away and stop playing with your puppy for a while. Your pup will soon learn that when he starts to bite, his playmate (you) goes away.
    ^ An extract from a great puppy training website

http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/how-to-stop-a-puppy-from-biting.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

When in the house leave a training leash on the puppy. When he does something he shouldn't say no, then if he does it again say something like "that's it" take him by the leash and put him the other side of the door, threading the leash back through so you are holding it on the other side. This stops the puppy from running off and playing something else. Count to 30 let the puppy back in. Repeat as necessary and use rewards, and lots of them when he's doing the right things. You'll notice a difference almost immediately.
    Good luck and congrats on the puppy. A piccie would be nicew for us to ooohhh and aaaahhhhhh over. :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Were going to a seminar this evening with the irish dog whisperer! Hope he has good tips.

I was training her to sit lastnight and she copped on straight away when she knew there was treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nettekee

My now 2 year old pup used to do this at about that age, I used a combination of "time outs" and using the words time out with the action of putting her out of the room and occasionnally the yelping as if in pain and she got the message and the nipping stopped within a few weeks. Best thing is to this day if she is getting too yappy, I say "time out" and she stops doing what ever it is thats is undesireable :)
    Good luck with your training, consistency is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

get her to play with chewy balls

If only this was AH :D

Advertisement