Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies All Over My Bedroom

Options
  • 01-07-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I came home today to find about 40-60 flies (bluebottles) around my windows and curtains in my bedroom, they are not fully grown so I assume there is a nest (if flies make nests?) I did not want to kill them so left my window open, but I had to hoover them in the end as they did not all leave. Anyway I went out for two hours and came back and there were are just as many back. I have a fireplace in that room which I do not use and I assume they are coming from there, how can I solve this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I have found that the sneaky critters tend to finish their day by hiding in the jams of open windows, perhaps laying their eggs there too, thats why on a warm winters day they can suddenly appear in a room. So when closing the windows check for them.

There has been a big hatching recently, maby they like the weather.

I have a few carniverous plants in the sitting room window that does for a few of them, water these plants with rain water only.

an easy way to get them out is to leave the window open and to pull the curtains to about 3 inches and they head to light and out when chased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

fly paper and fly spray

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I had this happen to me some years ago, and it turned out they were coming from the fireplace a bird had died in it , and the flies were coming from that,I had to block up the opening in the fireplace, and use lots of fly sprays keep my window open in the hope they would fly out. I did eventually manage to get rid of them all.It took me a good week or more to do it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had the same problem (in my front room) too! But I never did discover where they were coming from.

In the end, I scrubbed the window sill inside and out with boiling water and Jeyes Fluid, washed down the interior paintwork with bleach, washed and disinfected the floor, washed and disinfected the outside bin and scrubbed down the front of the house with patio cleaner. They left, and I've not seen them since.

OP - try that and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I came home today to find about 40-60 flies (bluebottles) around my windows and curtains in my bedroom, they are not fully grown so I assume there is a nest (if flies make nests?) I did not want to kill them so left my window open, but I had to hoover them in the end as they did not all leave. Anyway I went out for two hours and came back and there were are just as many back. I have a fireplace in that room which I do not use and I assume they are coming from there, how can I solve this problem?

Ronan - About 18 months ago, around November time, I went into my front room and just above one of the doors, the wall(about 60cm wide and 40cm high) was a black sea of what looked like bluebottles. To be honest I was terrified. Rang rent-o-kill and they suggested a type of fly which often lives in attics. My bedroom is in the attic conversion :(. Went up and there were a few flying around, but nothing like downstairs. They asked about smells, i.e. dead animals in cavity walls etc. but there wasn't any. They came next morning and de-toxed the entire house. They took a few of the flies as the guy said he had never seen anything like this before and they were interested in analysis. They said they would come back for free if the flies returned as they were not sure which fly species it was. Flies never returned. Happy days except it cost about 100 euro. It was a Saturday morning around 7am when they arrived, so perhaps were dearer than a weekday stint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement