Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year higher level English prep.

• 01-07-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

During the summer I'd love to start preparing for 5th year English and I'm just wondering what books, plays or poems, I should be reading. I understand every teacher has their own preference and study different books etc. to others, but even an idea would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0001_2012.pdf?language=EN

Here's the prescribed material for your examination year. Usually, teachers will cover Shakespeare in fifth year (Macbeth in your case). Maybe have a look at a few of the authors and buy some novels secondhand or on amazon to get a feel for themes, styles etc. It depends on your reading preferences what you'd like to begin with really! Enjoy and best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

first of all Shakespeare is compulsory in higher level :( just done my leaving and im sure most people will agree that the Shakespeare is by far the worst :p we had to do Hamlet for the single text but it changes every year.
    for the comparative study i used 'How many miles to Babylon' by Jennifer Johnston, 'Dancing at Lughnasa' by Brian Friel and 'Inside i'm dancing' by Damien O'Donnell. Your teacher will be the best bet to ask about Poetry section, my teacher predicted the top 5 were Thomas Kinsella, Seamus Heaney, Sylvia Plath, Philip Larkin and Eavan Boland. There's 10 poets on the syllabus and 5 come up so if you know 5 you will guaranteed that one will come up.
    This is for higher level tho im not sure what the ordinary syllabus is like. Hope this is some kind of use to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

hmm... perhaps your BOOKLIST is a good place to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

kathryn 95 wrote: »
    first of all Shakespeare is compulsory in higher level :( just done my leaving and im sure most people will agree that the Shakespeare is by far the worst :p we had to do Hamlet for the single text but it changes every year.
    for the comparative study i used 'How many miles to Babylon' by Jennifer Johnston, 'Dancing at Lughnasa' by Brian Friel and 'Inside i'm dancing' by Damien O'Donnell. Your teacher will be the best bet to ask about Poetry section, my teacher predicted the top 5 were Thomas Kinsella, Seamus Heaney, Sylvia Plath, Philip Larkin and Eavan Boland. There's 10 poets on the syllabus and 5 come up so if you know 5 you will guaranteed that one will come up.
    This is for higher level tho im not sure what the ordinary syllabus is like. Hope this is some kind of use to you :)

8 on syllabus and 4 come up.........

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

8 on syllabus and 4 come up.........

Sorry my bad :o I forgot :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just read loads and proper, adult books at that, not Young Adult stuff or chick lit. Also lots of newspaper and good blogs about politics. Analyze it stylistically for what makes it good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

hmm... perhaps your BOOKLIST is a good place to start?
    The teacher we were supposed to have changed to pass English for next year so he said the books etc. will be different and I found this out from friends when I'd finished transition year :/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nailvarnish16

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0001_2012.pdf?language=EN

Here's the prescribed material for your examination year. Usually, teachers will cover Shakespeare in fifth year (Macbeth in your case). Maybe have a look at a few of the authors and buy some novels secondhand or on amazon to get a feel for themes, styles etc. It depends on your reading preferences what you'd like to begin with really! Enjoy and best of luck :)

thanks a million I'll try and read the majority of them anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

kathryn 95 wrote: »

tbh I found the comparative worse because it's just waffle. Love me some Billy Shakespeare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I have some great Hamlet notes books on eBay for cheap if you are interested http://www.ebay.ie/sch/dentay007/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
    Hamlet is not on the Leaving cert now, Macbeth is now for 2013 and 2014 leaving certs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

user.name wrote: »
    Hamlet is not on the Leaving cert now, Macbeth is now for 2013 and 2014 leaving certs.

Ah bummer what is Macbeth like to study then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Ah bummer what is Macbeth like to study then?
    Depressing.. your better off doing a winter's tale, but most of the time the teacher decides the text

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Honestly, the best advise I could give is RELAX.
    Your not gonna get the chance come Leaving Cert year really, so enjoy the lack of pressure now while you can.
    Don't end up OVER preparing and OVER thinking, that could be worse than doing zero study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭moriz

user.name wrote: »
    Depressing.. your better off doing a winter's tale, but most of the time the teacher decides the text

Am I weird cos I found Macbeth pretty easy? haha. As in I followed the storyline really well. The actual play in a theatre was a pain in the butt to sit through, though! Never was I so bored in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'd suggest finding a few books to read over the summer. Some decent ones mind you. I'd personally suggest a bit of Wilde, Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, and a few classics like Withering Heights, Emma, Pride and Prejudice etc. Reading is really the best way to improve vocabulary, ability to write etc. :)

Advertisement